Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says, I installed new sintered pads on the front and rear deglazed the rotors cleaned them off as well, lever and rear brake have pressure so what gives? Feels like oil or something on the discs but cant be i used brake clean on them. I went for a quick spin and there's hardly any stopping power but lots of pressure on the front and rear brakes. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How did you de-glaze?
3. Any rotor scoring/ridges?
4. What brand of pads?
5. Front and back the same?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems like you covered most of the bases so far but I would drive for 100 miles or so to break the pads in and if they don't seem better start by bleeding the brakes there could be a bubble even though you said they had good pressure. Also some aftermarket pads are just crap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like you covered most of the bases so far but I would drive for 100 miles or so to break the pads in and if they don't seem better start by bleeding the brakes there could be a bubble even though you said they had good pressure. Also some aftermarket pads are just crap.
Ya i was thinking that as well. Like i said it was a very short ride and it just caught me off guard applying the brakes and not having much going on. Ill give it more time and if no improvement ill swap them out.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
whenever I change pads I never touch or clean the rotors, I leave them as is and never have a problem

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure if I agree about the bedding in being the problem. Although it is true that pads need to be bedded to achieve maximum performance, I have installed EBC HH pads on several bikes and have had immediately good braking. Sure it gets better after they are bedded in, but they should be pretty good from the get go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies i think I'll just give it some time and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Brake pads usually take a bit of time and a number of stops before they work as they should. New cars usually have instructions to be careful and to avoid hard stops for a set number of miles so the brake pads and discs can break in properly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brake pads usually take a bit of time and a number of stops before they work as they should. New cars usually have instructions to be careful and to avoid hard stops for a set number of miles so the brake pads and discs can break in properly.
What is funny about that is that for many high performance pads, you specifically want to make a series of hard stops to properly bed them in. I always go for aggressive high performance pads on my vehicles. If I bring it back from a first ride and I can't smell the pads, I didn't break them in right :)

Of course from the factory they generally don't install what I would consider a high performance pad, so that is the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts