Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep blowing the fuse for my brake/tail light. My parking light works fine when ignition switch is turned all the way to the right but I have no tail light and no brake light in regular on position. The bulbs work, I put in a new fuse and lights worked for a minute then fuse blew and no light again. Changed fuse twice and blew again and again. Any ideas would be great, brought it to the dealer and they took quick look, shook their head and said you have to leave it with us because electrical problems take a while. I understand they need time to look it over and it will be under warranty but couldnt leave it with them today. Any ideas would be great, for all you Mechanics out there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The brake light and tail light wiring harness and connector is under the rear fender and comes up under the seat. Check to see if the wires are rubbing under the fender or are getting pinched under the seat.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still no brake/tail light.

The brake light and tail light wiring harness and connector is under the rear fender and comes up under the seat. Check to see if the wires are rubbing under the fender or are getting pinched under the seat.
Thanks for the thought. I inspected the wire harness from under seat to the tail light and it all looked fine. I disconnected the connector under the seat and started the bike and fuse still blew so the short is above the connector, somewhere between the connector and the fuse box i believe. I dont want to take the whole thing apart so im going to wait untill i can bring to the dealer and see what they can do and see if it is all coverd under the warrenty. I hope so. Any other ideas on what to check would be great. I missed a great weekend of riding because of this:(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after spending a better part of the entire day racking my brain and searching over and over every wire, connector and anything else, I FINALLY found what was causing the short that was blowing the tail light fuse. It was the wire from the front brake handle gitting pinched off by my aftermarket radio which I had installed on top of my handlebars behing the windshield. I knew it was a tight fit but didnt think that it crimped my wire. The whole day I was looking to the rear and then finally dicided to look foreward on the bike and it was the very last thing I checked after five hours of pulling my hair out. Lesson learned, always expect the least obvious thing. Murphys law in effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I have a similar problem, my tail/brake light doesnt work except in pard. The fuse is ok and I have power at the fuse but not at the taillight. could this be a relay problem...pulling my hair out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys I have a similar problem, my tail/brake light doesnt work except in pard. The fuse is ok and I have power at the fuse but not at the taillight. could this be a relay problem...pulling my hair out.
cruznut had a great idea, if you haven't already tried it, check the connector he says is under the fender. if not, check the fuse box for corrosion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts