Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday while I was on a ride with some buddies, we got asked to pull over at a DB reading checkpoint, in Portsmouth NH. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that stock pipes debaffled only reads at 100.9 DB's @2500 RPM. The NH state law is 106DB.

cheers,
kyle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the way NH reads atleast.

"Max sound level of no more than 106dBA when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle"

Forgot to add that this was set at 2500 RPM. They had a meter that they hold to the plug wire, and it will show when it get to the 2500 point.

cheers,
kyle

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just curious. Especially since I live in NC where there are no dB limits for exhausts. But did their little tach device take into account that our bikes usually read half of actual rpm on most tachometers? Wondering if your bike was actually at 5-grand instead of 2500. Either way, glad that you didn't get any tickets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious. Especially since I live in NC where there are no dB limits for exhausts. But did their little tach device take into account that our bikes usually read half of actual rpm on most tachometers? Wondering if your bike was actually at 5-grand instead of 2500. Either way, glad that you didn't get any tickets.
You know I thought about that, as soon as he put it up to the wires. I guess at this point its good that I passed, because they actually put it on your information, incase you are stopped again.

cheers,
kyle

·
Registered
451 Posts
A tach that reads off the ignition primary wire must be compensated for the number of cylinders. A tach that reads off of a single spark plug does not, because no matter how many cylinders one has, each cylinder fires once every other revolution (4 cycle).

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts