Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put nitrous in their vulcan? I'm thinking about a kit like this and wondering if the engine would hold up. Also If my powerpro autotuner would bring in the extra fuel needed. A $200 kit like this would make up for the lack of cams and bigbore kits. I already have the powerpro, stage 3 debaffle, and k&n filter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitrous-Oxide-Efi-Motorcycle-Kit-/321210427346

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I wonder if the fuel pump and injectors would be capable of supplying enough fuel? Would be kind of cool I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having ran nitrous on various vehicles, I've never been curious enough to run it on a bike. If I did, it wouldn't be a dry system, though. That's more faith than I want to put into an already lean fuel system! With a wet system, you can get accurate, repeatable results - without running the system too lean and melting a piston. Or worse, detonation bad enough to shatter a piston and possibly seize the engine. Nitrous isn't just plug and play, it takes some tuning of the ignition and AF ratio, at the least.

That being said, it is fun and addictive! As long as the tires, suspension, drivetrain, and body hold up well, you can get good results. I've never ran a shot as small as that system advertises, but a 2.5lb bottle probably isn't going to maintain adequate pressure for very long. Depending on tuning, you usually don't want less than 900psi minimum to stay consistent. The 10lb bottle I ran in my Iroc was good for maybe 60 seconds, give or take, before dropping under 900psi (with 150 jets, 200 jets were closer to 40 seconds). The shop that refills mine charges about $3.50 per pound, and every couple of years you have to have the bottle pressure tested for about $35.

If you decide to do it, research it before committing. There are so many different companies and levels of quality, that it's worth taking your time. I've had good luck with Nitrous Express and NOS systems. Nitrous Works isn't bad, either, but tend to put out a bit less than advertised in my experience. For an inexpensive system, consider dual in-line solenoids. If one fails to disengage, a safety will save your engine.

Or, if you just want to be able to go faster now and then, consider a sportbike as an alternative! When I feel like a bit of adrenaline, I fire up the ZX-9R. For comfortable and commuting, the Vulcan is great!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info danny. The thing that concerns me is the tuning part. I'm very experienced with engines as I am a rental equipment mechanic and do all my service work on my own rides 2 stroke and 4. I just don't want to hook up a system this winter and blow my engine this spring the first time I hit the button. And as far as the sportbike goes I wouldn't survive one. Im to much of a speed junkie. I've riden a few and never had a test drive under 140mph.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My Grandsons friend runs it on his Hayabusa. Had to run a Power Commander with dual programs. 1st prog is for without N, and when it is switched on it also switches the module to the alternate program to enrich the mixture. Good Luck. Let us know how it works out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts