Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do yourself a favor and next time you remove your seat, lube the cable that runs to the seat lock as well as the key mechanism and the actual seat latch. I knew my cable was drying out and the last time I took the seat off I barely got the seat unlatched but forgot to lube it before I re-installed the seat. I knew the next time I removed the seat it was gonna be a bear....and it was. I used Multi-use lube with teflon in the cable and key lock and anti-sieze on the latch. Works amazingly easy now but almost had to break my key off in the lock to get it unlocked....even pushing down on the seat to relieve the tightness of the latch didn't help much. All good now but definitely something I will lube every time I take my seat off from now on. Do it now before its too late....you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I haven't looked close enough, but I've never noticed a cable, only the latches. I'll have to look out for it, as I take my seat off every day (I use the little helmet hook below the seat).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would guess taking the seat off every day would help keep it working...going a month at a time without using the cable is what helps it seize up. I have a Classic and I assumed all seats are set up the same way. The cable runs from the key release up to the latch along the fender with clips holding it in place. Its well worth the 30 seconds to squirt a little oil in the cable and key hole and lube the latch. If the cable ever seized I'm not sure how you could get the seat off without cutting the cable or laying the bike on its side and lubing the cable from the bottom. A problem to be avoided for sure. I'm sure its happened to someone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would guess taking the seat off every day would help keep it working...going a month at a time without using the cable is what helps it seize up. I have a Classic and I assumed all seats are set up the same way. The cable runs from the key release up to the latch along the fender with clips holding it in place. Its well worth the 30 seconds to squirt a little oil in the cable and key hole and lube the latch. If the cable ever seized I'm not sure how you could get the seat off without cutting the cable or laying the bike on its side and lubing the cable from the bottom. A problem to be avoided for sure. I'm sure its happened to someone.
Good to know! I'll add it to my routine maintenance checklist!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts