Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hows it going... So I built up my first custom bike and it was a vulcan...go figure right?? So Im thinking of a feature project. Im a young guy and Love Custom Pro streets. But dont have $30grand nor the customization skills that it takes. Id love to do another semi cheap custom project like my vulcan. Something in the 4-6grand range maybe. Far from 30k ha? haha. So anyhow I was wondering if I could find a old harley or maybe something that could be brought to an almost pro street look....Big rear tire,etc. I was thinking something like a Yamaha warrior...you can buy cool wheels and wide tire kits,etc.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Right now the only cheap HD's are the old iron head sportsters. Saw one on Craigslist for $2200, claimed it ran good, yada,yada,yada. I've got one, it does run good, I got lucky, lol! You can get a softtail pro-street frame for sporties, but you're probably looking at $1500 minimum for that. You can buy Paughco hardtail sporty frames for around $750 or so, than you still need rims, tires, forks, etc.

IMHO, if you're looking for a cool custom project, watch craigslist for something someone has given up on. I've seen quite a few good deals come through our area.

Personally, I'd love to fit an early 80's LTD550 motor into an Amen Savor plunger frame, add a long springer or girder front end and ride the crap out of it:D That could be done for well under $6k.

Finding a good used warrior for under $6k will be a challenge itself(at least around here. Then there's mods on top of that, I think you'd find yourself at $8k real fast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KSVN...thanks, yeah Im in MA and I saw a couple from 4500-6k. But the wheels and swing arm chrome along is almost 3grand. Then everything else....but you would have a very nice bike. I was thinking some type of harley that has a nice frame becuase it would be easer that way....their to expencive. The 883s and 1200 sportsters are small,etc...awww i dont know.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The only deals you're gonna find on HD's right now is sporty's, I know that's not what you want:D Another option depending on how mechanically inclined you are would be to find a salvageable bike, maybe some that's need's new forks and maybe tins, but no frame damage and use that as a base. Building a pro-street with a big inch motor on a $6k or less budget is quite the challenge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts