Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When learning to ride.......what's the #1 thing that happens to newbies???

what we call "the Newbie Grip of Death!!"

That's when new riders will REACH for the break when in trouble and GRIP the heck out of it at the same time giving the bike more gas (POWER) making it rocket from under you......

REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop......

Remember the breaks will stop your momentum BUT getting the clutch in makes sure your not giving your bike any more POWER to move forward....

.......respect the machine, be safe (wear proper gear to ride) and your welcome!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
when you get scared jump off and roll up into a tight ball and roll into a controlled and safe stop

·
Registered
22 Posts
REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop

well, if you do that you loose all traction from engine braking, upset the chassis AND if your cornering, it will make the bike 'stand up' and make you run wide and go into the ditch/tree you wana miss.......... keep it in gear, throw it down a gear if you get time, and use both 'breaks' (brakes) to take some speed off..... and use the bikes handling (usually the bike will get you through stuff you cant imagine) to avoid the impact if you can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, if you do that you loose all traction from engine braking, upset the chassis AND if your cornering, it will make the bike 'stand up' and make you run wide and go into the ditch/tree you wana miss.......... keep it in gear, throw it down a gear if you get time, and use both 'breaks' (brakes) to take some speed off..... and use the bikes handling (usually the bike will get you through stuff you cant imagine) to avoid the impact if you can.
Yes very true for riders who are on the road or even above 1st gear.....but what Im referring to in my post is to BRAND NEW folk LEARNING to ride....you and I? most def we know how to get out of a jam on the road and no doubt keeping it in gear is best....

however Im aiming at folks learning to power walk....folks learning the power of their bikes or even how it works....first timers etc etc....I suppose I could have been more specific with my post....but nevertheless it stands true.....

if you get the "newbie power grip" going.... all that that you said is going to be useless.....the bike WILL shoot right out from under you as long as it's in gear and the clutch is out....

Your advice is SOUND advice for the folks who are a bit more advanced than the folks I was shooting for with my post....but it is very good advice non the less!!!

I should also say.......to ALL newbies......TAKE THE CLASS!!! its 100% the best way to go.....

·
Registered
218 Posts

That's when new riders will REACH for the break when in trouble and GRIP the heck out of it at the same time giving the bike more gas (POWER) making it rocket from under you......

REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop......

Remember the breaks will stop your momentum BUT getting the clutch in makes sure your not giving your bike any more POWER to move forward....

.......respect the machine, be safe (wear proper gear to ride) and your welcome!!
Where are you getting your information?:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes very true for riders who are on the road or even above 1st gear.....but what Im referring to in my post is to BRAND NEW folk LEARNING to ride....you and I? most def we know how to get out of a jam on the road and no doubt keeping it in gear is best....

however Im aiming at folks learning to power walk....folks learning the power of their bikes or even how it works....first timers etc etc....I suppose I could have been more specific with my post....but nevertheless it stands true.....

if you get the "newbie power grip" going.... all that that you said is going to be useless.....the bike WILL shoot right out from under you as long as it's in gear and the clutch is out....

Your advice is SOUND advice for the folks who are a bit more advanced than the folks I was shooting for with my post....but it is very good advice non the less!!!

I should also say.......to ALL newbies......TAKE THE CLASS!!! its 100% the best way to go.....
Where are you getting your information?:confused:
The MSF and most important....life....true story!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took the class about 6 months ago and had the issue of always giving it extra RPMs when grabbing the brake. I however always grabbed the clutch at the same time, but it annoyed the hell out of me that I would always rev the machine. I suppose that is somewhat better then rocketing it off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the class about 6 months ago and had the issue of always giving it extra RPMs when grabbing the brake. I however always grabbed the clutch at the same time, but it annoyed the hell out of me that I would always rev the machine. I suppose that is somewhat better then rocketing it off.
Exactly!!!!!!!! hope you passed ride hard ride fun ride safe!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yup yup, the MSF preaches this over and over during their emergency braking lessons. Apply some stopping power with the brakes, remove the "go power" with the clutch...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barely passed due to doing the tight U-turn... On the final test I just said screw it and left the box and only got some points for it. There were however people that failed it which kinda shocked me.
It's pretty hard to fail but def not impossible...some folks just aren't meant to ride I suppose.....

the U Turn business is all about leverage.....it's finding that fine line between the weight of your bike and your own......it's not too hard if you practice.....but in all reality (and some may get offended by this) when will you ever EVER need to pull this move at that rate of speed in that tight of space in a real life situation??? prob never.....good skill to have in your back pocket I suppose but I wouldn't worry too much....

I think all they want to do with that move is for you to show you have control and command of your bike.....

·
Registered
487 Posts

REMEMBER THIS:

I'm not sure how this is even possible. I cannot pull in the front break without rolling off the throttle. So I cannot break and maintain or increase throttle at the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not sure how this is even possible. I cannot pull in the front break without rolling off the throttle. So I cannot break and maintain or increase throttle at the same time.
I'm not exactly sure how to explain how I do it. I'm able to grab the hand brake and gas it at the same time. I suppose I twisted my hand pulling the hand brake back which in turn moves the gas. Only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's pretty hard to fail but def not impossible...some folks just aren't meant to ride I suppose.....

the U Turn business is all about leverage.....it's finding that fine line between the weight of your bike and your own......it's not too hard if you practice.....but in all reality (and some may get offended by this) when will you ever EVER need to pull this move at that rate of speed in that tight of space in a real life situation??? prob never.....good skill to have in your back pocket I suppose but I wouldn't worry too much....

I think all they want to do with that move is for you to show you have control and command of your bike.....
That is exactly what the instructor pulled me aside and said. I understand tilting the bike one way and your body the other while still moving either with little gas or with riding the clutch. I couldn't just take the bike and practice that one part though so I only got to do it like 10 times and each time learning a little more. Its pretty much doing a uturn in a single lane right?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts