Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed both front and rear tires and replaced the Bridgestones with Metzler Ultra Marathon 888s. The front tire balanced up with 30 grams but the rear had to be balanced three times until it finally balanced with close to 70 grams. While doing the tires, I also replaced the bearings with All Balls and put in new brake pads all 'round.

After putting everything back together, I have noticed a front-end wobble that was not there prior to the tire change. Everything is torqued down to spec and I aligned the rear with a calibration tool; it appears to be tracking correctly. The fork was indexed after torquing the axle. The pinch bolts were tightened in the correct order. The belt is tensioned to H-D specs and is fairly quiet. The brakes do not drag. There is no excessive run out in the axle and no bent parts. So here's my question: Could the rear tire be defective, thereby requiring 70 grams to balance? If so, it seems logical that any unbalanced motion would transfer to the frame and thence to the front end. If my logic is flawed, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Shortly after getting mine I tightened the head bearing about an 1/8" further than when new and eliminated the wobble I had around 40mph. Your logic on a bad rear tire may be sound. That said, the Metzler 880s I put on my 800 2 years ago required 7oz to balance the rear tire. This was after I had about 3000 miles on it, but never had a wobble.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
888 on the back, and a Shinko rear tire on the front... No wobble but just about everyone including me has had it from time to time.... around 45 mph for me hands off coast little bit of wobble. Hands on never wobbled once...

I have had well over a hundred motorcycles, wobble is something everyone has at one point. Tire wear, unbalance, non perfect tire bead on install, and a multitude of other reasons including load, and load balance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts