Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
This forum is great and gave me the courage to pull my carbs to clean on my 2000 Vulcan 500 that has been sitting for three years. Other than changing oil in my car/motorcycle I have never been confident that I could handle it myself.

But I'm here to tell you be confident, you can do this too! A great thread called "How-To: Disassembling the Carburetor on the EN500" and post written by MetallHed really helped me through the process. This thread has great information on how to disassemble your carb. I have posted a link below.

The link to that thread is:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413

I would like to add some additional information that you may find helpful:

1) A long pair of needle nose pliers will be your friend when you try and remove throttle cables from carb & remember to first remove cable from bracket to have some slack in the cable.

2) Once carb is removed, to easily remove the vacuum valve assembly: Push up on the valve (accessed from side of carb) & gently peel gasket off the top.

3) After Cleaning your carb, I have read that it is very good to bench sync it. Easy to do and tons of youtube videos on how to do it. You have come this far, so do it! :) Me, I put the darn thing back on before reading that you needed to bench sync too... so I came this far and back off came the carb to sync.

4) I have had a real hard time re-seating the carb in its boots. I have read that a little Silicone Lube on the boots will do the trick and sure enough it did.

Hope this helps.
You can do it too!!! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the post. I plan to pull the carbs on Lorath next weekend and the tips are invaluable since the last carb work I did was on the Suzuki TC90 I had as a teenager.

·
Registered
172 Posts
jakamanstyle, it's been a while since I removed the carbs, but I remember having trouble getting the carb end of the throttle cable to slip back into its notch after I put the carbs back on. After a lot of cursing and gnashing of my teeth, I eventually pulled the carbs back off just enough to make room so that they could be rotated to make it possible to get the throttle cable end fitting to slip into its notch. and then I put the carbs back on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
removal...drain fuel using the screws on bottom of bowl....pull carbs, they are now free to rotate, twist, turn as needed to detach cables without major spillage.

Going back on ....attach cables (verify correct routing) prior to slipping carbs into (lightly lubed) manifolds. Using fingers..wiping some vasolene or silicone paste on the inside of the manifolds greatly eases them "home". They almost "click" into place, you can feel it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For getting the throttle cables back on the carbs, I slide the right side carb in between the left airboot and headboot. The left side carb should be just handing in the air off the left side of the bike. This gives you enough room to get your hands in between the carbs and the the bike to slip the carb throttle cables back one. The carbs should be held pretty well by the airboot and headboot. Once in place, just push the carb all the way into place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perfect. I'll give this a go when the sun is up. I'd been trying with the carbs already in place and my fingers were raw enough after manoeuvering the lots back on!

Cheers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I found that one of the cables (open or close?) was easier to get the barrel back into the notch by holding the butterfly open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts