Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, long time Kawaie guy here, had alot of Kawasaki products in my life including Quads, Dirt Bikes, Ninja, and now a brand new 09 VN900 Special Edition. I was in the market for a cruiser and found a left over special edition for $5895!! When I bought it, it only had 0.5 miles on it! I think it was a pretty good deal. Anycase, I did what alot of you guys do with the exhaust. I removed the baffle plates, and drilled 8, 1/2" holes in the baffles and drilled out the center plug in the center of the baffle to get more sound. The sound is pretty good, not really deep enough, but not that bad. But I am getting some popping on decell and a small backfire here and there. Anyone know a remedy to fix it, or is it just what these bikes do? Also, what is the best bang for the buck Mod on these bikes for HP/TQ increase? Plug and play fuel controller? Pipes? Big air kit?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey Guys, long time Kawaie guy here, had alot of Kawasaki products in my life including Quads, Dirt Bikes, Ninja, and now a brand new 09 VN900 Special Edition. I was in the market for a cruiser and found a left over special edition for $5895!! When I bought it, it only had 0.5 miles on it! I think it was a pretty good deal. Anycase, I did what alot of you guys do with the exhaust. I removed the baffle plates, and drilled 8, 1/2" holes in the baffles and drilled out the center plug in the center of the baffle to get more sound. The sound is pretty good, not really deep enough, but not that bad. But I am getting some popping on decell and a small backfire here and there. Anyone know a remedy to fix it, or is it just what these bikes do? Also, what is the best bang for the buck Mod on these bikes for HP/TQ increase? Plug and play fuel controller? Pipes? Big air kit?
The decel popping is normal for any motorcycle that's had the exhaust opened up. Other posters have plugged the PAIR system with marbles or wire nuts or anything that will fit snugly in the hoses going to the front & rear cylinders. There's no performance boost but it does reduce the popping. The air valve and hoses are located under the fuel tank.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Almost everyone that has debaffled the exhaust has also done the marbling trick. There is a single hose on the top right hand side of the air box. This goes to a system that is one of those gov'ment mandates. Basically, they don't want any unburned fuel escaping through the exhaust. Since there is not supposed to be any oxygen in exhaust gases, this system introduces some to allow the unburned fuel to burn off in the muffler. Thus, your popping noise. By cramming a marble up in the hose where this system gets the air, you effectively disable it and reduce the popping. I have read of people using marbles, wire nuts and even small pinch clamps to seal off this hose. You may still get some popping but this is likely from air leaking into the exhaust around an exhaust seal or something. But the marbling helps a lot. If you haven't found Gadget's Fixit Page on the internet yet, see link below. This is a site run by a guy and his friends who have done numerous mods to Vulcans of all types. There are lots of mod posts as well as maintenance tips, etc. I believe a post with pics of the marbling is there also.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

As for getting more power, I think most folks will tell you that it will take a triple whammy.
1- high flow air filter intake kit
2- fuel/air processor
3- custom exhaust or debaffled exhaust
Most folks think the stock debaffled exhaust are just as good as Cobra or V&H pipes for performance. But opening up flow on one end of the system doesn't help performance much unless you open up the intake side also. And opening up the intake & exhaust will make the bike run poorly without the fuel processor. From my experience, if you debaffle, you don't need a processor, but there really isn't a big power boost. If you also do the intake, then you will definitely need the processor to tune the EFI. I hope all this jibberish helps.:D

·
Registered
976 Posts
As for getting more power, I think most folks will tell you that it will take a triple whammy.
1- high flow air filter intake kit
2- fuel/air processor
3- custom exhaust or debaffled exhaust
Or you can just be flat out crazy like VN900T and do this:

Can't wait to see video clips and here what it sounds like running. If he's a naming the bike kinda guy it should be something like Warp Factor 9! See, it's got the nine in it so it's kinda like Kawasaki 900...
ALRIGHT WE GET IT STUPID!!!

Anyways, that thing looks cool.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't think I even understand what the hell he did. Almost looks like he installed a blower! I sure wouldn't want to ride it. Looks like your right knee would get scalded.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Gotta love the ingenuity of those kids.....a turbo-nine....go figure....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Sojourner and Jeep Pirate. The Link was great! Alot of good info there. I will Try the marble trick like you guys said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts