Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new rider at the tender age of 52. After taking my MSF course and getting my license last year, I bought a Hyosung GV250 to get my feet wet.

I love the Hyosung, but as you can guess, I lust for something bigger, and after a lot of internet research and sitting on many different bikes, I have settled on a Vulcan Classic.

My wife cannot ride 2 up with me due to some equilibrium issues, but she thinks she would really enjoy doing so on a trike.

So, my plan is to get a Vulcan and a MTC Voyager trike kit that I can put on and remove so I can still have my 2 wheels.

I am 6'2", 230 lbs. and my wife is also 6'2" and weighs about 210. My question to you all is this:

Can we get by with a VN900 for some long distance riding, or should I at least be looking at a 1700 or a used 1600?

Thanks in advance,
Giacomo

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Hi,
I am a new rider at the tender age of 52. After taking my MSF course and getting my license last year, I bought a Hyosung GV250 to get my feet wet.

I love the Hyosung, but as you can guess, I lust for something bigger, and after a lot of internet research and sitting on many different bikes, I have settled on a Vulcan Classic.

My wife cannot ride 2 up with me due to some equilibrium issues, but she thinks she would really enjoy doing so on a trike.

So, my plan is to get a Vulcan and a MTC Voyager trike kit that I can put on and remove so I can still have my 2 wheels.

I am 6'2", 230 lbs. and my wife is also 6'2" and weighs about 210. My question to you all is this:

Can we get by with a VN900 for some long distance riding, or should I at least be looking at a 1700 or a used 1600?

Thanks in advance,
Giacomo

For what you're describing, I'd get at least a 1500 for power. Load shouldn't be an issue if you're converting it to a trike. The load limit on my 1500 is about 465 pounds; I weigh 255 and my wife weighs 135, and with all our gear and luggage we're maxed out pretty fast. The extra chassis and wheel on the trike will help with the load aspect.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i agree... i am 5'11" and weigh 230, i couldn't imagine two people on my 900 over 200lbs. because it just wouldn't have any ooooomf! definitely get more cc's... the new 2000's look nice! but i love my 900 Custom too much to upgrade! :)

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
i agree... i am 5'11" and weigh 230, i couldn't imagine two people on my 900 over 200lbs. because it just wouldn't have any ooooomf! definitely get more cc's... the new 2000's look nice! but i love my 900 Custom too much to upgrade! :)
My wide wants us to get the 2000. They have some nice lower miles used ones around for 7-8k or lower. :cool:

·
Registered
742 Posts
go for it! i might start looking for a 1500 Drifter for next season... especially when i tear this one down to do weld jobs on the frame! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate the power of the 900's. I don't own one, but my wife has a Yamaha V-Star 950, and we can ride 2-up without noticing any power (or lack thereof) issues at all. I can't image the V-Star is all that different than the VN900.

Now, that said, we don't weigh over 200 lbs, either one of us. I weigh around 190, and my wife around 170. It also will depend on your budget, and the kind of fuel economy you want to get. The larger the displacement, the lower the fuel economy. I get anywhere from 38 mpg (city) to 45 mpg(hiway) with my VN1600. My wife gets around 55 mpg (mostly hiway) with her V-Star.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I love my 900, but IMHO, if you're building a trike, you'd be better off with a larger engine.

My suggestion would be to get a Goldwing and build around that... or buy a trike that's already out there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am in with the bigger crowd.

I had my 900 Custom for over a year. I am 5'9" and 215 or so... The 900 was great even on long rides, but I did find it a bit light on long road trips. I happen to get into a small accident, and lost the 900, so I bought a used 03 1600 Classic.

Is exactly as you would expect. In town, the 1600 feels bit heavier (traffic, etc), but when you hit the long road, wow, it is superb. Solid, plenty of power to stay at speed, and other vehicles don't blow you off. I miss the 900, the custom style looks cool etc, but I have found I do much more long road trips than in town, and the 1600 is built for that.

And we (my brother and I) found plenty of low millage 1600s in the $4 to $5K range, which is a great price for a solid bike. I also dream (or used to) of a V2K, bt the prices there are still a bit high (IMHO, for my budget).

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am in with the bigger crowd.

I had my 900 Custom for over a year. I am 5'9" and 215 or so... The 900 was great even on long rides, but I did find it a bit light on long road trips. I happen to get into a small accident, and lost the 900, so I bought a used 03 1600 Classic.

Is exactly as you would expect. In town, the 1600 feels bit heavier (traffic, etc), but when you hit the long road, wow, it is superb. Solid, plenty of power to stay at speed, and other vehicles don't blow you off. I miss the 900, the custom style looks cool etc, but I have found I do much more long road trips than in town, and the 1600 is built for that.

And we (my brother and I) found plenty of low millage 1600s in the $4 to $5K range, which is a great price for a solid bike. I also dream (or used to) of a V2K, bt the prices there are still a bit high (IMHO, for my budget).
WOW! Slaponte, we have the same dream. I would like my next one to be a VN2k with touring setup. I like the belt drive. Not that there's anything wrong with the shaft drive, but I think I like the belt better. My wife's V-Star has a belt.

I love my red bike, but that blue is a great color as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you for your input. I guessed as much that I would need a bigger bike, but thought I would see what others say. I'll probably set my sights on a 1600 or 1700. I have a local dealer that is advertising a new left-over 2008 1600 for $8500. I don't want to by a trike 'cuz I want my two wheels and I can afford two vehicles. My plan is to get a MTC Voyager kit which is actually just big removable training wheels.

Giacomo

·
Registered
525 Posts
KSmnet, very nice bike. I like the red, mine came (repainted) blue with flakes and looks very good. If I could, I would have it two tone candy (deeeeep) red (almost blood) with grey/silver. :)

I ride this blue one, my brother got an all black one, both 03s.

Re the V2K, as words spreads that they won't be made anymore I expect the prices to drop some to get the stock out and make space for more 1700s and such. Is also end of year, good time to catch a good deal at the dealer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re the V2K, as words spreads that they won't be made anymore I expect the prices to drop some to get the stock out and make space for more 1700s and such. Is also end of year, good time to catch a good deal at the dealer.
I'd love to pick one up, but it won't be this year. I don't even know if it will be next year. Gotta pay off the wife's V-Star 950 first. We don't owe a lot on it, but enough to not want to have another payment. Mine's set up pretty well. One thing I really do like about the 1600 Classic is the on/off switch. It's right where it should be. I love that you can stick the key in to turn it on, then put the key away in the pocket. Didn't see that feature on the 2k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts