Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Newbie looking at 1600s

5K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  hotdiggitydog 
#1 ·
I am new to riding but have wanted a bike for years. Finally enrolled in a MSR basic riders course for next weekend. Have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to the Vulcan 1600 family. I am 6'6" 260 lbs and don't want a small bike that I will have to upgrade in a year. I have read the 1600s are a little more spacious than the 1500s or the 1700s. I have sat on a couple 1700s that were not bad but wouldn't mind the extra room. I am going to go sit on a 1600 i found nearby this week or next weekend. Within about 3 hrs of me there are a couple bikes that are 1600s. The classics and meanies have bags and sissy bars on them but I like the looks of the hard bags and the dual exhaust on the Nomads though not a huge fan of the dual color scheme. Just wondering from some people with experience what the biggest differences are between how they ride, handle, tank size/mpg, and any other comments. Because they are all older obsolete bikes the info on line varies depending on the site. I am looking to use it as a commuter during nice weather but would also like the option to do some longer trips. The wife told me no way in he'll she will ever ride with me but I want to option for two up riding down the road when she changes her mind like she always does. There are a couple V2Ks in the same range with bags and sissy bar but I feel like that might be too much bike for a newbie. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I've never ridden a Classic but I have a 1600 Nomad and I find it the perfect bike for me. I'm 5'9, about 185lbs and it fits me very nicely. I've read that the 1700 has a shorter wheelbase but I thought the 1500 was essentially the same bike with some minor engine changes (I could be wrong on that). The 1700 is a more refined ride so if you can handle the size that might be a better option. It's also newer so there would be more available aftermarket parts. That will be my next bike if I manage to wear this one out.

I'm not sure of my mpg (I'm guessing around 40) but I can get about 250 km (150 miles) from a tank before I refuel. I always try to refuel as soon as the gauge hits one bar so I could push it a little further, but I prefer not to run out. Speed has a lot to do with fuel mileage too. If I run the highway at 140 km/h (85 mp/h) it really drinks it fast. Keeping it around 50 or 60 mp/h and it just sips it.

Some may disagree but I think that a bigger bike would be good for someone your size to start out on. Yes, it's a 1600 and quite big and heavy but it's very well balanced and I have no issues with handling it around town. The engine is big, yes, but it's not like buying a crotch rocket, and as you said, you won't outgrow it in a month or two and wish you'd gone bigger. But the only way to know is to try, or at least sit on them all. My Nomad is a metallic sand and red, which I like, but if you prefer a solid color they did make them like that in black (which looks amazing).

One thing I really like about it are the hard lockable saddle bags. I wear a half helmet and I can fit it in one and lock it. If my wife comes with me we can both fit our helmets in one side. Great for picking up a few things at the grocery store or whatever too. I also have a set of highway pegs on my crash bars that I have positioned so that I can still rest my heel on the front of the floorboard and place my toes on the pegs. Helps me stretch out on the highway. Other than a set of V&H pipes and a phone mount and charger, mine is stock and I'm very happy with it. 95,000km (60,000 miles) and still looks and works great. I may add a batwing at some point if I can find a good price on one but for now the windshield works fine.

Good luck with your search and please keep us posted when you find something. And don't forget the pic!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Welcome to the world of motorcycling. Agree that a 1700 would be a better choice. Engine still in production and better availability for parts and accessories. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I hate to be the one to say this, but you may want to rethink your choices for a first bike. The ideal first bike is a cheap one, preferably pre-dented, light, with just enough power to keep you moving in traffic.

You're going to drop the bike, so having it pre-dented will keep you from crying when you do. You want light because you're going to be a bit wobbly on stops occasionally. If you're wobbly at a stop on a 400lb bike, you can muscle it to keep it from falling, but if you're wobbly on a 900lb bike, the only thing you're going to be able to do is get out of the way as it goes down. Also, the 400lb bike will be a lot easier to pick up when it goes down. As for power, a smaller engine with less torque will be more forgiving if you hit the throttle a bit harder than you meant to.

There are lots of good starter bikes out there that you can get for a great price. If you want a Vulcan, I'd suggest an 800. I'm 6'2", 250lbs, and I rode a Suzuki C50 for years with no issues. Great decision on the BRC. Ride safe, and welcome to the passion of riding.

#6 ·
You're going to drop the bike
Yep yep yep yep yep yep aaaaaaaaaaaaand YEP!! Stare at that sentence. It will be ingrained in your thoughts the first time it happens to you. And it will happen. It's not if, it's when. Buy a cheap running beater. Preferably ugly too. Beat the ever loving hell out of it. A year later, buy the pretty bike.

Reactions: Mmart and Whiskey
#5 ·
Hi and welcome:
About 9 or 10 years ago I decided to look for a new bike. I saw a picture of a 1600 Mean Streak and fell in love. It was an 07 SE. After several weeks of searching, I found one with only 500 miles on the clock (It had been stored due to the owner's job.) I bought it and love it I wanted to do some weekend and longer trips. So I added a few accessories; a mount for GPS, windshield, quick-release saddlebags, and a luggage rack. All of these are easily removable.
Up until recently, 57,000 on the clock, I have only performed routine maintenance. Last year the right fork seal started leaking and while I was at it I changed fork springs to Progressive, and also progressive shocks Just a month ago I noticed a raider leak so that was also replaced. I switched to Metzler 880 tires. As Metzler has discontinued the 880 next change will have to be something else most likely Metzler 888.
All that being said if I was starting over Today I would likely choose 1700 because I would likely ride it for 10 or 15 years. I hope this is of some use to you.
Ride safe and stay well

#7 ·
I personally think you should buy the bike you want. Yes, you will probably tip it over at one time or another. Just install crash bars right away. You are a big guy and physically can handle a larger bike. Just practice as much as possible after the rider course. Get some small orange cones and set up in the quiet area of a large parking lot and practice what you learned in the course. If you drop it during practice, the guards will save you and the bike. You will become better as time goes on.

#11 ·
I was thinking more about actual accidents rather than a garage drop. Newbies haven't learned how to spot potential low side hazards in turns, how to properly emergency brake without washing out the front end, etc. It takes a good 6 months of real world driving to get out of that newbie crash phase.

#14 ·
This is an interesting thread. And I appreciate both points of view (e.g., buy a starter bike because you'll drop it vs buy the bike you want now). Being such a large guy is what gives me pause, because normally I'd join the chorus of "go with a starter bike because you will drop it a few times (at least)".

But if you're okay knowing that your new big bike is gonna get dropped at least once (with the potential for scratches, dents and some parts needing to be replaced), then yeah, I can understand starting with the bike you really want. I don't regret getting started with a Honda 750 Shadow. Great starter bike for me some 13 years ago.

Reactions: Newbie needs a ride
#18 ·
This is an interesting thread. And I appreciate both points of view (e.g., buy a starter bike because you'll drop it vs buy the bike you want now). Being such a large guy is what gives me pause, because normally I'd join the chorus of "go with a starter bike because you will drop it a few times (at least)".

But if you're okay knowing that your new big bike is gonna get dropped at least once (with the potential for scratches, dents and some parts needing to be replaced), then yeah, I can understand starting with the bike you really want. I don't regret getting started with a Honda 750 Shadow. Great starter bike for me some 13 years ago.

To be honest I initially wanted a Road King or an Indian Chief. This was kind of the cheaper bike in all honesty because I could not imagine dropping a $20k+ or even a $10k+ bike. After reading the reviews and posts and watching tons of videos I really like the Vulcans and they are in my price range of what I am willing to pay for that first bike so it ends up being a win win.

#15 ·
Hey kind of new to the forum. Been reading this post everyone makes good points. My two cents, I have an 06 1600 classic bought new and love it. I feel it rides great handles great all around a good bike. My first bike was a Kawi 650 SR. Another excellent bike. If the 1600 is a good deal and you like the bike I say get it. If your not comfortable on it sideline it for a year and buy a better cheap it will be easy to unload and then go back to the 1600. Good luck

#16 ·
First of all I own a 06 Nomad and love it! Been riding for nearly 50 years now and have had bikes from a 250 to the 1600 and can honestly say I haven't had one I didn't like.
As far as a 1600 for your first bike I have to ask a question nobody else seems to be concerned with, HOW OLD ARE YOU? If your past middle age I would suggest starting out on maybe a Vulcan 900 (yes I had one and absolutely loved it riding solo), if your younger the Nomad would be ok but I agree with rjkj about find one and try it out then if it doesn't work out save it for later.
Whatever you decide just be careful and be safe!

#17 ·
I am 36yrs old. Old enough to know I have no one to impress doing stupid stuff but young enough to not worry about throwing out my back catching the bike. Most of the bikes I am looking at range betwen $3500 to $5500. Trying to stay under 30k miles. A couple have less than 20k miles. Almost all of them have upgraded pipes and most have upgraded seats. I figured buying something smaller but still big enough not to look like a grizzly on a tricycle are around $2000 - $3000 in which the extra grand or two seems worth not trying to sell the bike and finding a new one in a year.

#27 ·
who am I to say anything (old guy, third bike).

are you comfortable knowing that you're going to drop it sometime and it'll get scratched/dented or is "mint" your thing?

tbh, I started on a 500 and thought that it was too big . . . for a coupla weeks, then it was too small after I got used to it.

a couple of years later, moved to a 750 and thought that it was too big . . . for a coupla weeks, then it was too small after I got used to it.

now on a 1600, thought it was a bit big, after a coupla weeks it was "just right".

really, it's whatever your comfort level is.

#28 ·
who am I to say anything (old guy, third bike).

are you comfortable knowing that you're going to drop it sometime and it'll get scratched/dented or is "mint" your thing?

tbh, I started on a 500 and thought that it was too big . . . for a coupla weeks, then it was too small after I got used to it.

a couple of years later, moved to a 750 and thought that it was too big . . . for a coupla weeks, then it was too small after I got used to it.

now on a 1600, thought it was a bit big, after a coupla weeks it was "just right".

really, it's whatever your comfort level is.

Obviously I don't want to and will be upset if I drop it, but it will be a lot better dropping and scratching or denting this than a $20k Harley or Indian. I don't want to have the urge to upgrade after a couple weeks of having it. I want something I can enjoy for a while whether it has a couple scratches and dents or not.

#32 ·
I'll point out two things.

First, I'm a big guy, 6'2" 260lbs, and if my 1700 starts to go over, there's no way I can catch it like I caught the 800 I rode when I started. I caught that bike a number of times at traffic lights because I didn't stop quite right. If I had started with the full dresser, it would have hit the pavement a number of times that first year.

Second, if you buy a used, pre-dented bike to learn on, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it a year later as long as you don't seriously damage it during that year.

I know the idea of riding a smaller bike at first isn't exciting, but I highly recommend it. Taking your time to learn will be worth it in the long run. You do you though. Whatever you choose as your first bike, I wish you many happy and safe miles.

#33 ·
I’m 6’2” 240lbs and 43 years old. I bought my first bike last year (a 2007 Nomad) and couldn’t be happier! Like NorthernRider said earlier, I may add a batwing fairing later, but the previous owner added more upgrades than I could want or even use! I bought my bike about 2 months before I could even schedule a MSF course (because of COVID closures) and didn’t ride it until I finished the course (2 months of pure torture).

I recommend going with a Nomad if you want a 1600. (I went with the 1600 instead of a 1700 because I wanted the gear final-drive). The Nomads already have the crash bars installed to protect your engine, saddlebags, and in some cases, your ankles! Buying “starter bikes” are a waste of time and effort in my opinion. If you are strong enough to get the bike off the kickstand and keep it balanced on a flat surface, you will be ok. Just buy the bike you want and take your time learning to ride it! You will be happier in the long run....

#34 ·
Size wise, I am 6'3" and weigh in at 220lbs. I ride a 2008 Vulcan Nomad 1600. I absolutely love the bike and I have owned it for 5 years now. I have covered 500 mile days on the bike and have sat in the saddle, except for fuel stops, for 13hrs. I have dropped the bike a couple of times, low speed or stationary. I tried to stop it from going over when I was standing beside her. Grabbed the bar with my left hand and subsequently stripped the bicep muscle of my left arm off of the shoulder. Unrepairable. These are not light bikes. If you do buy a larger bike be sure to gently lay it down and practice picking it up. MAKE SURE that you can pick it up if it goes over onto the crash bars. The Nomad is very well mannered, corners well enough to wear the foot board protectors almost right off (many sparks), powerful enough to carry two, reasonably quick although not a drag racing bike.

Let us know how your hunt for a bike progresses and pictures of the bike when one "talks" to you.

Cheers and Thanks!
Mike

#36 · (Edited)
I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll still give my two cents for anyone checking this down the road. I was new to the world of bikes when I bought my first one exactly 8 years ago. I was 39 years old when I sat on my first motorcycle (my wife's only requirement was that I have life insurance, so when I die she will be a wealthy woman). Thankfully, I had a life-long veteran biker (65-70 years old) that helped me find one and get it running. My first purchase was an '87 Yamaha Virago 700. Nothing pretty necessarily, but it was perfect for my build, inexperience, and season of life. I am 5'9", 180 lbs., and am fit enough to handle things when I need to. I cannot tell you how beneficial that bike was to me as a newbie. As a cruiser, it was low to the ground with a great center of gravity, and had enough weight to it that the 700 engine wouldn't buck me off if I got too throttle happy. That was the only bike I knew for the first 6 years.

From there it was an '87 Suzuki Cavalcade 1400 (their short-lived touring bike). It was a big step up, but if I hadn't had the road miles in my portfolio from the past 6 years it would have been very dangerous for me. From there I bought an '07 Nomad 1600 with less than 3,500 miles on it (you read that right --- less than 3,500 miles after 14 years from just one owner. BTW I only paid $3500 for it! It was an amazing find). I love this Nomad. I love the sound. I love the look. I love the feel. I love most everything about it. The only thing I don't like is the seat, which I am having replaced with a custom seat this spring which will be wider, softer, and with more support. Though this bike handles great, I would not have been able to manage it as a new rider. Even with my experience now, there are times (especially when coming to a slow stop at a light) when I find myself having to really focus on not tipping too much. It's just that much heavier than a 700-900 size bike. I never crashed my 700, but I did drop a couple times. I did not cry at all because it wasn't a real looker like this Nomad is.

My final assessment: buy small and cheap, and buy up when you are ready. I don't regret working my way up to this bike, and it is that much more rewarding for me now that I have enough experience to really enjoy the ride. And as a side note, I also have a 2018 Yamaha V-star 250 that I bought for running around town (can't beat the mpg) and for teaching my kids how to ride. It's almost as light as a bicycle and I picked it up as a 3-year-old bike with only 12 miles on it for only $2000. Again, a great find. Be patient and buy a bike that suits your age, size and experience. You won't regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.