Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, Newbie to the forum here, and hoping you can help me out.

I semi-recently bought a 2007 V2K with 23K miles on it that wasn't running. I fixed it up and now she purrs except she has the dreaded "popping out of 2nd" problem. As I research the problem I fear I will have to replace the transmission / gears. Since that will require me to split the case, when I do I want to replace anything else that would normally be replaced.

What components should I replace (or expect to replace) during the rebuild?

Thank you for your input

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello all, Newbie to the forum here, and hoping you can help me out.

I semi-recently bought a 2007 V2K with 23K miles on it that wasn't running. I fixed it up and now she purrs except she has the dreaded "popping out of 2nd" problem. As I research the problem I fear I will have to replace the transmission / gears. Since that will require me to split the case, when I do I want to replace anything else that would normally be replaced.

What components should I replace (or expect to replace) during the rebuild?

Thank you for your input
Let me know if you don't get any help-I'll send you my techs ph#- He's Good&he re-builds All kinds of bikes(Including Kaws) & he used to drag race kaws/if any 1 can give you Good advice,This guy Can:) :biker: (y):cool::geek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know if you don't get any help-I'll send you my techs ph#- He's Good&he re-builds All kinds of bikes(Including Kaws) & he used to drag race kaws/if any 1 can give you Good advice,This guy Can:) :biker: (y):cool::geek:
Thank you! It looks like I'll be needing that number. I now have a oil slick under the bike and will need to tear it open sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you! It looks like I'll be needing that number. I now have a oil slick under the bike and will need to tear it open sooner rather than later.
his ph.# is (954)455-9665/he's off on Mondays so you'll have to call him on Tuesday\you can tell him j w/the black '17 Vulcan s referred you-GOOD LUCK & I HOPE HE CAN HELP:):sneaky:;):geek::biker2:

·
Registered
184 Posts
his ph.# is (954)455-9665/he's off on Mondays so you'll have to call him on Tuesday\you can tell him j w/the black '17 Vulcan s referred you-GOOD LUCK & I HOPE HE CAN HELP:):sneaky:;):geek::biker2:
Just a follow up/I text'd my tech Ray & told him he should expect a call from you on or around Tuesday-He's in S. Florida\Good Luck w/ur re build:)(y):unsure::unsure::whistle::geek::cool:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just a follow up/I text'd my tech Ray & told him he should expect a call from you on or around Tuesday-He's in S. Florida\Good Luck w/ur re build:)(y):unsure::unsure::whistle::geek::cool:
I strongly suggest taking the phone number out of the forum post. That stuff is harvested by webbots and he'll probably be now or in the future bombarded by tons of spam calls and other whackos.

Probably too late now, but you should still take it down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Nbrey,
What you need:
  1. Service manual
  2. Hand tools (5 through 21mm sockets and wrenches )
  3. Battery operated impact driver (handy not necessary )
  4. Torque wrench
  5. Ball hone for your cylinder bore size
  6. gasket rebuild kit
  7. OEM recommended gasket sealer
  8. Assembly lube
  9. Work bench
  10. Parts cleaning station
  11. Someone to assist with engine removal and install. Your 2K motor aint light by any measure.
No one can give you better information than the people who manufactured the machine ( service manual ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I strongly suggest taking the phone number out of the forum post. That stuff is harvested by webbots and he'll probably be now or in the future bombarded by tons of spam calls and other whackos.

Probably too late now, but you should still take it down.
I was able to contact the mechanic, so no worries about taking the number down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nbrey,
What you need:
  1. Service manual
  2. Hand tools (5 through 21mm sockets and wrenches )
  3. Battery operated impact driver (handy not necessary )
  4. Torque wrench
  5. Ball hone for your cylinder bore size
  6. gasket rebuild kit
  7. OEM recommended gasket sealer
  8. Assembly lube
  9. Work bench
  10. Parts cleaning station
  11. Someone to assist with engine removal and install. Your 2K motor aint light by any measure.
No one can give you better information than the people who manufactured the machine ( service manual ).
Thank you MotoMedic, I do have all the necessary tools and the manual so I am ready to go. What I was looking for was a parts list of items that would be replaced since I will have the crankcase open. (when will I have this opportunity again right?)

Right now I've planned on replacing the Transmission and the Piston Rings, and of course all the gaskets and o-rings that will be exposed during disassembly.

I was going to pre-order the crank shaft bearings, but they come in 3 different thickness based on clearances, so I will need to size them when the time comes.

I'm considering documenting the process if there is any interest in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts