Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joined the site to ask a few questions about a 1988 1500 Vulcan that my girl friend has. The bike has only 13500 miles on it and it looks and runs like a new bike. Her husband passed away and it's been in the garage for some time.
I put a new battery in it and it fired right up, but it back fires when you let off the throttle. I figure it might need the carbs rebuilt and the plugs replaced.
How do I check the oil and engine coolant?

·
Registered
991 Posts
nice ride

That is a fine looking bike you got there! I found an 04 1500 Classic for my son with very similar mods and he loves it. You might want to loosen the mounting bolts on your exhaust pipes, make sure the flanges at the head are perfectly straight (or change the gaskets) and then systematically line up and torque all the bolts again. Cold air can get sucked back in during de-cel and cause backfiring too. If the bike ran fine before it was parked, it might not need re-jetting, just cleaning and some maintenance. It looks like it was very well kept.....great fine!:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a fine looking bike you got there! I found an 04 1500 Classic for my son with very similar mods and he loves it. You might want to loosen the mounting bolts on your exhaust pipes, make sure the flanges at the head are perfectly straight (or change the gaskets) and then systematically line up and torque all the bolts again. Cold air can get sucked back in during de-cel and cause backfiring too. If the bike ran fine before it was parked, it might not need re-jetting, just cleaning and some maintenance. It looks like it was very well kept.....great fine!:cool:
Thank you very much for this info! I've got the same exact bike, same year ('88 1500). I had my carbs cleaned, and it helped on acceleration, but my mechanic told me I'm basically going to have to live with it backfiring on de-cel. He couldnt find anything else wrong with it. I was about to start adding stabil to the fuel, thinking any fuel with ethenol in it was causing the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts