Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all fellow Vulcan lovers :)

First, a little background. I've been riding motorcycles since a teenager but I've never had a cruiser-type of motorcycle. Currently I also have a '14 Zuma 125 scooter and a '13 Honda CBR250R Repsol sport bike.

I've had my Vulcan S for about 3 weeks now. The reduced reach kit was installed by the dealer a week after purchase so I was able to ride the regular version (mid reach) as well for a week. I needed the kit since I am only 5'4".

On the ride home from the dealer (mid reach kit), I noticed I was having some sharp lower back pains. I was maybe thinking that the bike is not really sized for me and may have this effect on my lower back. A week later and I have the reduced reach kit already, I'm still having the same back problem.

Note: Back problems was never an issue for my fat @ss (220 lbs :D) at work, with my sport bikes, car driving, just never.

So to this day it still puzzles me. Is it the riding position with the feet forward and all weight is concentrated on the lower back or other?

------------------
Of course we all like pictures :)

1st day with the reduced reach setup

Side roads to San Diego while still in break-in period

A quick soda pop and restroom break at McD's

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I got the same sort of thing when I started riding. Those sharp shooting pangs. A backrest solved it for me. The Vulcan S is such a new model that I don't know if anyone makes one for it yet. But that really helped me.

I've heard people say weight lifting belts help. And some of it will just get better as you ride and as you use those muscles. I got used to it after a while myself. But on a long ride they'd come back. So I run a backrest now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder if you move the pegs back to be more like the other bikes if that'll help ... suspect you're not used to the legs being straighter fwd and you're getting extra tension in the lower back area as a result of your feet being too far fwd.

I believe the pegs you can do on your own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same sort of thing when I started riding. Those sharp shooting pangs. A backrest solved it for me. The Vulcan S is such a new model that I don't know if anyone makes one for it yet. But that really helped me.

I've heard people say weight lifting belts help. And some of it will just get better as you ride and as you use those muscles. I got used to it after a while myself. But on a long ride they'd come back. So I run a backrest now.
Thanks for the input.

I wonder if you move the pegs back to be more like the other bikes if that'll help ... suspect you're not used to the legs being straighter fwd and you're getting extra tension in the lower back area as a result of your feet being too far fwd.

I believe the pegs you can do on your own.
The pegs are already adjusted as close as possible due to the reduced reach setup. However, your legs will always be pointing forward. We are only talking about an inch or two here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
offcourse it's the riding position! on a touring or sportbike, you use your legs, they reduce the pressure on your @ss.
Your entire body weight rests on your saddle now, no wonder you get muscle-pains (is that a good word, i'm only Dutch ;-) )
In every new position your body has to fit in, you'll get used to it in a while...
if you don't, this kind of bike is not for you i'm afraid...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if floor boards would make a difference for you, a platform you can put your whole foot flat on rather than pushed up on the peg.

I don't know of any that would fit - I've never looked into it, but that would be a must have for me if I buy an 'S'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a similar background to you, only sport bikes up to this point.
I also noticed my lower back getting sore. On a sport bike you can stand up and stretch on the foot pegs while you ride but not so much on this kind of bike since the pegs are up front.
I'm just making an effort to keep good posture and waiting for my back muscles to toughen up.
After a few months off of a sport bike I would notice similar soreness across my shoulders from the front leaning posture.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My hunch is the stock seat is the culprit. I don't know if there are many aftermarket options available for this bike yet...nice bike though. Same engine as the Ninja 650, I bet she can move!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to have the same lower back Pain problems with cruiser bikes, and in general.

My Doctor did a blood test as he said 99.9% of all population is deficient of vitamin D3, as the body has to make it's own form sun Light being directly on the Bare skin with No sun block, for Hours every day to get the Maximum amount of D3 per day.

I had Many Many bikes, had a Suzuki C90RT 1500cc cruiser at the time.

My lower back was in a lot of pain during and after a rides.

Wife also complained of the same back pain, while standing at sink to wash dishes.

Blood work came back and show me having very low D3 in my blood.

Doctor said for me to take Vitamin D3 Liquid version and take 2ooo Units per day every day in the morning.

After a week most of my pain was gone, and i felt MUCH Better!!

1 month later doctor did another blood test, D3 still low bumped me up to 6000 Units per day every day.

This took away all pain, Neither my wife or I had any pain at all.

My Doctor said that the RDA amount for D3 is Very Low and multi Vitamin RDA amounts were a Joke at best.

You cannot get any D3 from any foods, you have to have a large area of your skin exposed to the sun for a certain period of time to absorb enough D3 to get to the maximum amount needed, that's hours in the Sun naked, and Sun Block, Blocks the D3 uptake.

Doctor said i needed to get the maximum that a healthy 20 year old male would need, Im 53 Years old, DR. said if you want to feel like 20 Year old you need the max.

Dr. also said most, if not All, 20 year old's are Extremely Low on D3 and Not where they should be.

Been taking it for more than 5+ years, pain free, I ride bike almost every day, I have 7 bike to ride they keep me busy.

Hope this helps someone, as it has helped me and the wife.

Ride safe

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I used to have the same lower back Pain problems with cruiser bikes, and in general.

My Doctor did a blood test as he said 99.9% of all population is deficient of vitamin D3, as the body has to make it's own form sun Light being directly on the Bare skin with No sun block, for Hours every day to get the Maximum amount of D3 per day.

I had Many Many bikes, had a Suzuki C90RT 1500cc cruiser at the time.

My lower back was in a lot of pain during and after a rides.

Wife also complained of the same back pain, while standing at sink to wash dishes.

Blood work came back and show me having very low D3 in my blood.

Doctor said for me to take Vitamin D3 Liquid version and take 2ooo Units per day every day in the morning.

After a week most of my pain was gone, and i felt MUCH Better!!

1 month later doctor did another blood test, D3 still low bumped me up to 6000 Units per day every day.

This took away all pain, Neither my wife or I had any pain at all.

My Doctor said that the RDA amount for D3 is Very Low and multi Vitamin RDA amounts were a Joke at best.

You can get any D3 from any foods, you have to have a large area of your skin exposed to the sun for a certain period of time to absorb enough D3 to get to the maximum amount needed, that's hours in the Sun naked, and Sun Block, Blocks the D3 uptake.

Doctor said i needed to get the maximum that a healthy 20 year old male would need, Im 53 Years old, DR. said if you want to feel like 20 Year old you need the max.

Dr. also said most, if not All, 20 year old's are Extremely Low on D3 and Not where they should be.

Been taking it for more than 5+ years, pain free, I ride bike almost every day, I have 7 bike to ride they keep me busy.

Hope this helps someone, as it has helped me and the wife.

Ride safe
Hmm interesting. . I'll have to research this

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Stepthru,

I hope the D3 works as well for you, as it does for me.

Yeah, Canada being further north, less sunshine, makes sense you would require more D3.

Glad someone confirm that High dosage, D3 is beneficial.

I have talked to people that take 10,000 units D3 per day.

I mentioned it in another bike thread, since it really helped me and my wife out with the pain, and people were getting upset, pissed off even, that I mentioned it, on a bike thread they said it has no place on a bike thread, and kept questioning me that i was selling something, and treated me like i was doing something wrong.

Trust me i am NOT selling anything, just passing on something that works, and works very well, that few people are aware of.

I am 53 years Old and take certain supplement for certain things, and feel better, physically and mentally, than when I was much younger.

I hear so many people say (even younger people in their 30's) oh that's (what ever problem it is) because i'am getting older, thats's BS, they are just Lacking something, cancers' to everything is just a deficiency, or to much of something causing the problem combined with a deficiency.

I wont live forever but i want my families quality of life to be excellent!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts