Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just got a new 2018 Vulcan S last Saturday, I’ve got 190 miles on her and so far I’m luvin her. I have a few questions though that I know you guys and gals can answer
First off how often do you get the air filter service? I know it depends on a lot of factors, but on average. I also have a Suzuki C 50 Boulevard with a K&N airfilter, and I clean and oil it at the beginning of each season and it’s good to go until the beginning of the next season. That you should give you an idea of the driving conditions I drive in. Second is how often do you all lube your chain, I don’t have any experience with chains as my C 50 is a shaft drive. Also how often on average does the chain need adjustment, again I realize it depends on how the scoot is driven, but I’m looking for just an average.
So far I’m really enjoying this new scoot, it’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys, it’s so maneuverable , and responsive, and fast, it’s a totally different scoot than the C50 is.
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have not checked the air filter on my 2019 Vulcan S yet, so I'll let someone else answer that question!

Regarding chain maintenance/adjustment, look at your owner's manual pages 116 to 120. The book says to check the chain slack every 600 miles, and to set it from 10 to 20 mm (0.4" - 0.8"). I read on this forum that it is better to set it at 25 mm. So far I only felt the need to clean/lube at the same time.

I found it necessary to buy swing arm spools and a rear stand (I have a front chock too) to adjust the chain slack. You will also need 22 mm and 27 mm sockets.

If you have not done the job before, check Revzilla's website. They have a very good "how to" video.

PS: don't try to lift the Vulcan S under the engine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hello @Gundogblue / Paul - and welcome to the forum! Where in the world do you live? LOL, compared to a Suzuki C 50 Boulevard it is more of a "scoot" in physical size, but it does move!

As far as your equipment questions, I can't answer as I don't do maintenance myself, I go to the shop. But, look at the MOM which gives you a good idea of when things should be checked, adjusted, changed.

Have fun!
Gerry

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Scooters

My suggestion is first thing, stop calling it a "scoot"
Been riding over 50 years and they are all scooters to me. With what wisdom does your recommendation come my young friend? :nerd:

Oh , the air filter is a son of a gun to replace. I putt a Bikemaster High flow unit on mine when I changed exhaust, The schedule is also in the manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the info I greatly appreciate it. As for me to stop calling it a “scoot” that’s the word we all use for our motorcycles. I call the C50 a scoot as well, and everyone I ride with calls their motorcycles scoots. My best friend rides a Goldwing he calls his motorcycle a scoot too. It’s just a name. Sheesh, lighten up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That makes you an old "coot". All the old know it alls are coots to me.....

Been riding over 50 years and they are all scooters to me. With what wisdom does your recommendation come my young friend? :nerd:

Oh , the air filter is a son of a gun to replace. I putt a Bikemaster High flow unit on mine when I changed exhaust, The schedule is also in the manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
YOU need to lighten up. It was all in good fun. sheesh. Glad you are all so sensitive in here riding your scoots.

Thank you all for the info I greatly appreciate it. As for me to stop calling it a “scoot” that’s the word we all use for our motorcycles. I call the C50 a scoot as well, and everyone I ride with calls their motorcycles scoots. My best friend rides a Goldwing he calls his motorcycle a scoot too. It’s just a name. Sheesh, lighten up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not the one who started it, you told me to stop calling it a scoot, I just responded as to why I and almost everyone I know calls motorcycles scoots. Seems you don’t like that term, and don’t want anyone else to use it. If you don’t like that term, then don’t use it, call a scoot what ever you want I really don’t care, but please don’t tell me what I should, or should not call them. And on top of that do you know how this petty argument sounds? Answer, PETTY, I’d much rather be talking about our scoots ( motorcycles) rather than arguing over terminology.
Paul

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, let's get back to riding.... I'm thinking everyone meant their comments in fun.

I'm sure whatever folks call their bikes/motorcycles/scoots, it's based on your local terminology and vernacular.

They all have wheels, and are fun to ride. :smile2: :smile2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree 100%, what we choose to call them is purely a matter of personal preference, what really counts is our shared love, and interest in all things with two wheels, and an engine.
Paul

·
Registered
237 Posts
Paul, where do you live? I'm in Southeastern VA, USA.

I started on a 650 single, the Suzuki Savage, now their Boulevard S40, and overlapped with an 1100cc Yamaha VSTAR Silverado. So, my Vulcan S is like my Goldilocks bike. Not too big, not too small, it's just right.

I think your Suzuki C 50 Boulevard is what Suzuki used to call the Marauder, before they rebranded their cruisers to the Boulevard name.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chench- I'm a few miles west up 460 (or 10) from ya in Chesterfield.
Next time I'm making my Norfolk run (mebbe even on my scoot) I'll be thinking of ya.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chench,
I’m nowhere near you, lm from a southern suburb of Chicago, but four yrs ago we moved to Wabash county to a very rural area in central Indiana. I started riding when I was 13, my dad bought me a little Sears 106 cc scoot. From there I got one of the first big Kawasaki 4 stroke scoots, it was a 1967 Kawasaki 650 W1, I had my dad sell it after I went in the army in 1969, big mistake I wish I still had that scoot😥. I didn’t get another scoot until we moved out here, its my 2009 Suzuki C50 T Boulevard,
that scoot means a lot to me cuz it was given to me by a guy I served in Vietnam with, and became my life long best friend, he can’t ride any more cuz of health issues. But I had a hankerin for something different, so last Saturday I bought a new 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S which fills the bill perfectly, I’ve only got 300 miles on it but I already really love that scoot. I’ve never driven a more fun to drive scoot👍.
Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts