Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So glad to join the ranks of Vulcan riders! After having riden a Honda CB750F and VF750 Sabre I sold the bikes to raise a family. After 13 years the wife and I decided we could get ourselves toys. I picked up a fully equpped 2004 Honda Shadow Aero - not ralizing a v-twin Honda 750 was nothing like the old 4 cylinder 750s. I'm a big guy at 6-5, 250+lbs so the bike wasn't the best fit. Big floorboards, handlebar risers and a new seat helped but after 5years it was obvious I need something bigger.

I started researching, checking out Honda, Indian Victory, Yamaha but always came back to the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. It came with everything I wanted - windshield, floorboards, bags, sissy bar - which I would have had to added to any other bike. So last Saturday I went to the Kawasaki dealer and said I wanted a Vulcan. Two hours later the contract was signed, financing approved and delivery scheduled fo the next Thursday.

I loved my Shadow but started to feel that it was coming up a little short - I needed just a little more. Well, the Vulcan is everything I hoped for. Just the right amount of power, only about 75 lbs heavier so still easy to move around. I love the belt as opposed to the shaft. Definitely smoother on the power and it acts differently when you back off the throttle.

I'm about 200 miles in but I'm already in love. This bike fits me much better than the Shadow. It got to the point where it seemed like I had to fight the Shadow. Everything with the Vulcan seems effortless. The Shadow got me back up on two wheels and I expect to have the Vulcan for at least 5 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Welcome in,same thing I did,,750shadow to 900 classic,frkn awesome bike,to 1700 nomad,another awesome bike,little more than I need but was what I wanted,love the kawis,you will be Happy,,,Ride safe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was looking at bigger bikes, 1300+ ccs, but decided the 900 should fit the bill for me. So far so good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call me Blinky! I had put a Signal Minder on my Shadow because I wanted the extra tail lights and really enjoyed the timer on the turn signals. If I had a dollar for every time I've forgotten to kill the turn signal I'd have my first payment!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome Kevin - pretty new here myself, but I went from a 85 VF700C Magna - to a 900 Vulcan Custom. definitely a difference, but the 900 works well for me. I only wish I had a little more top end for highway, but I try to avoid highway when I can, so its no big deal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the Aero was horrible on the highway so I know the Vulcan will be an improvement over that. I try to avoid the highway anyway unless I have to take it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new to the Vulcan as well...Just picked up an 06 900 Classic LT...Full trunk and hard bags...Having a problem with some wobble in the front end...Hopefully getting it fixed here next week and then finally on the road with it...

enjoy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you get that wobble fixed. May be th head bearings given the bike's age.

So, in an effort to get up to 600 miles as soon as possible I went for a ride on Tuesday to the Kancamagus Highway which follows along a pass in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It's a 32 mile road know for its hairpin turn, 4 mile 7% grade, lots of curves and beautiful mountain vistas. I stayed off the interstate as I was still under 500 miles at the outset of the trip but once I returned home I had completed 260 miles and now had 597 on the odometer.

Even keeping the bike in the sub 500 mile break-in parametersI was impressed by the performance and the power on tap. Since I passed 500 miles during the ride at the end of the trip I was able to be a little more agressive and downshift into 4th more. Good top gear acceleratin and definitely more juice than I was used to on my Shadow when twisting the throttle.

The floorboards really let me stretch out and the handlebars are just right. I'm 6-4 and found the seating position very comfortable. Seat comfort varied as I sometimes had tailbone discomfort but if I sat back more on the seat and changed weight distribution it did not bother me. Best is the discomfort did not linger. If I stopped, got off and stretched, I felt fine and was able to get back on the bike and ride.

I did not have a full tank when I started out and topped the tank about 20 miles before hitting the Kanc. I fueled again about 15 miles from home and was shocked when it worked out to 53 mpg. I had got 50 and 49 on my two previous tank fills.

The only negative for me is the saddlebags are smaller than the LeatherLykes I had on my Aero but I did put the luggage rack on so I can carry a tail bag. All in all very happy with the move to the Vulcan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I grew up in Vermont and love the White Mountains...Maybe someday I can get the bike up there and take in some of those beautiful views...Roads in Vermont are iffy...Too many frost heaves and pot holes for me...Love the roads down here in TN/NC...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm hoping to head up to VT for a long weekend of riding in Sept. when the weather cools a bit, for now the roads in the hilltowns here in Western Mass have plenty of great riding to keep me busy for a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spent a lot of time in Holyoke/Springfield/Westfield when I was in college back in the late 70's...Never rode through there, but it looks like it could've been fun...Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't done any riding in Western MA. Only made it as far west as Springfield once for Indian Day. Most of my riding has been northeastern MA and Southeastern NH.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven't done any riding in Western MA. Only made it as far west as Springfield once for Indian Day. Most of my riding has been northeastern MA and Southeastern NH.
Based on where you live that makes total sense. If you do ever want to ride out here, I'm game to show you around.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm with new Vulcan Kevin. At 6'3" and skinny, the 900 Classic cockpit is just right for me. I tilted the bar up a couple inches until the grips cleared my knees at full steering lock, then perfect.

But like most, I am always thinking about a seat upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts