1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
congrats! how about some pictures?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bookmark this link for Gadgets Fixit Page (http://www.gadgetjq.com) it is great for all kinds of things you will want to know about your bike.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike !!

PS, the quote at the bottom of your page - is that from the movie "Second Hand Lions" ? (one of my all-time favorites) Or if not they may have used it in the movie ....

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sorry - the quote question was for you Truckie :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you on the open road My only advice I have is spend time each day riding. I stayed away from heavy traffic and rode the less traveled roads. The more miles you put on your bike the better rider you become. I have been riding almost 2 years and have put on 35,000 miles. I notice my riding skills have advance because of it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry - the quote question was for you Truckie :)
Yes the quote is from second hand lions, a great movie in my opinion. Here is the full quote...

Hub McCann said:
Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.
another great quote from the movie:

Hub McCann said:
I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all im new to the world of riding and i recently bought a 2006 Vulcan 900! I love this bike!!! any tips from all you "veteran" riders!!!
My advice (from a relatively new rider at 2 years)- Once I booked a couple months riding, I was feeling pretty good about my abilities (read: overestimated my abilities). I found myself starting to make dumb mental errors..

Fortunately, none that have led to laying it down yet but dumb things like lazily taking a sweeping curve and ending up on the edge of going outside of it, watching traffic around me instead of where I was going, etc... I had to be even more focused to make sure I rode fundamentally sound..

Now at 2 years, I find it easier to focus when I have to do things and the fundamentals come naturally.. Just be vigilant for those first few times you ride once you're feeling pretty good about your riding abilities...

Disclaimer: if I'm the only person who experienced this, please ignore my advice... :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fortunately, none that have led to laying it down yet but dumb things like lazily taking a sweeping curve and ending up on the edge of going outside of it, watching traffic around me instead of where I was going, etc... I had to be even more focused to make sure I rode fundamentally sound.
I've been there, done that too. Kind of a scary feeling when you're suddenly where you know you shouldn't be and it seems hard to get back on your line. :eek:

Luckily we can learn from these small mental lapses and remember to stay focused.

·
Registered
684 Posts
One thing I almost learned the hard way is not to trust the speed warning signs going into corners.

I was riding the first good twistie road thru some mountains after I got my Vulcan, and enjoying the curves. I found that I could take most of the corners with signs saying 25MPH at 45MPH. I came into a corner that really WAS a 25MPH corner and almost didn't make it around on the road. If another car would have come around the corner I would have been wearing a hood ornament.

Don't take ANYTHING for granted, especially on a road you haven't ridden before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep your head when you meet idiots on the road and remember your at the bottom of the food chain of vehicles if you decide to go after some cager whose just put you at serious risk to life and limb... of course if you happen to catch up with them at a red light or whatever, feel free to educate them in any manner you see fit. :D

·
Registered
950 Posts
My advice (from a relatively new rider at 2 years)- Once I booked a couple months riding, I was feeling pretty good about my abilities (read: overestimated my abilities). I found myself starting to make dumb mental errors..

Fortunately, none that have led to laying it down yet but dumb things like lazily taking a sweeping curve and ending up on the edge of going outside of it, watching traffic around me instead of where I was going, etc... I had to be even more focused to make sure I rode fundamentally sound..

Now at 2 years, I find it easier to focus when I have to do things and the fundamentals come naturally.. Just be vigilant for those first few times you ride once you're feeling pretty good about your riding abilities...

Disclaimer: if I'm the only person who experienced this, please ignore my advice... :D
:) I have not ben riding very long myself. Thank you for the good advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts