Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look forward to visiting often- rode many makes/models over the years, couldn't pass up a Suzuki purchase last summer, M50 blvd- but way, way too small for me- very low miles, but just traded for an '04 2000cc Vulcan- test drive felt great, miles are at 33,000- what kind of problems am I in for? Anything I should be worried about?
mb- Chino Valley, AZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
These bikes are made to last especially a big 2000cc engine. As long as you keep riding her she wont break on you. Its when you go awhile without is when stuff starts to slowly fall apart. Keep her running and she will last you a good while.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The rear wheel hub on the 04 and some 05's has been an issue. The hubs have a single bearing and, in some cases, have failed. The 04's had a recall to replace the hub with a double bearing. You should check to see if yours had the single bearing changed out for the double. There's also a complaint about the drive belt chirping, that's parobably a tightness issue though. Whatever it is you'll find a wealth of experienced people here to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
702 Posts
57,000 miles and counting, no real issues. Yes, the belt DOES chirp, but experimenting with adjustment DOES solve it. Before you twist really hard on the throttle, make sure your left hand is firmly gripping the handlebars.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
some of the differences between the 04's and later models.

• As sated, the hub. That "IS" one you will want to check out
  • While the kickstand itself is the same, the forward down tube on the 05+ was changed, bringing the kickstand closer to the ground (meaning the bike does not lean over as much when parked)
  • The regulator was changed in 05. Means the aftermarket regulator covers will not fit the 04
  • The regulator difference will also affect a couple crash bars, so pay attention if you order some
  • The shape of the rear brake line was changed in 05. Means you can't order a "pre-made package" for new brake lines. But it's easy to have one custom made, and it cost the same.
  • On EVERY V2K,the timing in the first 4 gears is retarded (toned down) by the ECU. Ma-Kaw figured it was TO much raw power. There is a mod to by-pass this, very cheap to do. The 04's gain the most from this mod (meaning the 04's will actually crank more than the other years).
  • If you buy a Power Commander, be careful of which one you buy. The early models (not just the 04's) use a different one than the later models.

The "chirp" is well documented. 99% of the time it's improper belt tension/alignment. Don't lube the belt trying to make it go away.. don't grease it, wash it, or spit on it. Align it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The first ane biggest issue is your cheeks are going to hurt. . From grinning so much.

Yepper, had my V2K out yesterday and even today in the rain after a hiatus from riding since my accident. Smiling from ear to ear even as i went to sleep, but now my lady keeps giving me dirty looks, hope she knows i was dreaming about the riding,lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
day three

Yep- day three with my new (to me)'04 2000- grinning ear to ear- have a few bugs and rattles to work out, but this is the best bike I've ever owned. But my wife reminded me I say that every time I get a new ride.
ms

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
some of the differences between the 04's and later models.

• As sated, the hub. That "IS" one you will want to check out
  • While the kickstand itself is the same, the forward down tube on the 05+ was changed, bringing the kickstand closer to the ground (meaning the bike does not lean over as much when parked)
  • The regulator was changed in 05. Means the aftermarket regulator covers will not fit the 04
  • The regulator difference will also affect a couple crash bars, so pay attention if you order some
  • The shape of the rear brake line was changed in 05. Means you can't order a "pre-made package" for new brake lines. But it's easy to have one custom made, and it cost the same.
    [*]On EVERY V2K,the timing in the first 4 gears is retarded (toned down) by the ECU. Ma-Kaw figured it was TO much raw power. There is a mod to by-pass this, very cheap to do. The 04's gain the most from this mod (meaning the 04's will actually crank more than the other years).
    [*]If you buy a Power Commander, be careful of which one you buy. The early models (not just the 04's) use a different one than the later models.

The "chirp" is well documented. 99% of the time it's improper belt tension/alignment. Don't lube the belt trying to make it go away.. don't grease it, wash it, or spit on it. Align it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
I believe in 2008 and up you can't do the resistor mod on. Kaw changed the gear position sensor.

Also with the PC's I think there is a difference between the 07 back and 08 and forward.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The rear wheel hub on the 04 and some 05's has been an issue. The hubs have a single bearing and, in some cases, have failed. The 04's had a recall to replace the hub with a double bearing. You should check to see if yours had the single bearing changed out for the double. There's also a complaint about the drive belt chirping, that's parobably a tightness issue though. Whatever it is you'll find a wealth of experienced people here to point you in the right direction.
The hub will need to be changed, if it hasn't been. But I don't think there was a recall for it.

There was a recall for the lubricant inside the left (I believe) engine cover. The way to see if yours has been done is to look at the VIN on the left (driver's) side of the engine. If there's a punch mark at the end of the number, the update has been done. If not, you'll want to get it done.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The hub will need to be changed, if it hasn't been. But I don't think there was a recall for it.

There was a recall for the lubricant inside the left (I believe) engine cover. The way to see if yours has been done is to look at the VIN on the left (driver's) side of the engine. If there's a punch mark at the end of the number, the update has been done. If not, you'll want to get it done.
Thanks for clarifying...I was under the presumption there had been a recall.

·
Registered
97 Posts
welcome to the vulcan world, I have had my 04 for almost a year now, nearly 8k miles down the road with no issues other than having a blow out, rear tires are eaten up by this beast... watch your tire wear. I have gone to darkside and am very happy. front tire wore out at 7600 miles, two oil changes... other than than that happy trails for me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts