Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2004 Vulcan 2000 and don't really know anything about these bikes. It has Cobra exhaust and Power Commander III. I'm not sure if I care for the loud exhaust on it and wondered If I wanted to switch back to stock exhaust would I have to do anything regarding the Power Commander? Also, what oil would you recommend if I wanted to run regular motor oil? Thanks ahead of time for your input, and I can't wait to get it out on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have the same bike PCIII and exhaust I do. The first thing to do is get someone to weld an O2 port into the exhaust system. The VN2000 has a 2 stage computer for monitoring the Fuel Air ratio at the exhaust. Cobra and PC O2 eliminators are just reistors designed to trick the bike into thinking everything is ok. When you get about 60MPH the bike wants a whole new reading so you FI light will come on. By adding the O2 bung you fix that problem and now the FI light will be able to give accurate readings for if something really is wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the same bike PCIII and exhaust I do. The first thing to do is get someone to weld an O2 port into the exhaust system. The VN2000 has a 2 stage computer for monitoring the Fuel Air ratio at the exhaust. Cobra and PC O2 eliminators are just reistors designed to trick the bike into thinking everything is ok. When you get about 60MPH the bike wants a whole new reading so you FI light will come on. By adding the O2 bung you fix that problem and now the FI light will be able to give accurate readings for if something really is wrong.
Thanks for the info 1BVD. Do you mean if I put the stock exhaust on it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The stock exhaust will have the O2 port already available. The Cobra should you decide to keep it on will work better with a O2 port added

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The FI light was on when I picked it up at the auction. I'm guessing that's what the problem is. I am not familiar with the O2 port or how to add it. Would I want to take it to a bike shop?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The only VN 2000's with the O2 sensor are the California models. If your V2K comes from another state, it doesn't have or need an O2 sensor. Does the FI light go out when you increase the throttle? If it does, increase your idle. The recommended oil for the V2K is 10-40W, but if you live in a state where the temps stay "hot" most of the year, then I'd use 20-50W

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only VN 2000's with the O2 sensor are the California models. If your V2K comes from another state, it doesn't have or need an O2 sensor. Does the FI light go out when you increase the throttle? If it does, increase your idle. The recommended oil for the V2K is 10-40W, but if you live in a state where the temps stay "hot" most of the year, then I'd use 20-50W
It came from Mass. I haven't had it out on the road yet Cruz. I brought it right in the garage so I could change oil, check a short with the aftermarket blinkers, and pull the front fender for paint work. I'm in Maine so I assume the 10-40 will be fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been using 10-40W in my bikes for a real long time. I live in New Jersey, so the temps are similar. If you decide to add the stock pipes, you can download a "zero" or stock map from www. powercommander.com or just remove the PC III and sell it. I currently have a Cobra HP ProPipe 2 into 1 exhaust that's not too loud until you're cruising along over 70 mph. I do have a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor on mine, which eliminated the "popping" on decelleration. The stock pipes do look great and have a decent rumble, without being loud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been using 10-40W in my bikes for a real long time. I live in New Jersey, so the temps are similar. If you decide to add the stock pipes, you can download a "zero" or stock map from www. powercommander.com or just remove the PC III and sell it. I currently have a Cobra HP ProPipe 2 into 1 exhaust that's not too loud until you're cruising along over 70 mph. I do have a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor on mine, which eliminated the "popping" on decelleration. The stock pipes do look great and have a decent rumble, without being loud.
I guess the thing to do will be get it on the road and see how I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts