Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT...I am a fairly new rider. I got hurt when I was in my early 20's and did not get back on a bike until now (56)...I bough a Honda CBR500R as a starter bike and have been on it for 2 years. Bought the Vulcan so I could ride more comfortably with my wife. Still getting use to the bigger bike. Looking forward to getting as much info as I can from fellow Vulcan riders. If anyone has a trip to the Smoky Mountains anytime soon, let me know...I'd love to get out for a ride with you...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bandit,

Hey, I'm new to the cruiser bikes..I test rode a few of the new Indian models...One thing I noticed on this Vulcan was it felt a bit "shaky" at slow speeds and was a bit hard to handle. I don't remember a similar feeling while riding the Indian bikes...Just wondering if that's a normal thing or just me...I'm coming off a Honda CBR500R sport bike so obviously night and day with the weight and size of the bike...Also, can a windshield cause that type of effect at low/medium speeds...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I do not think it is the shield causing that feeling.Probably the weight difference that you are getting used to.I also had a CBR500R for a short time a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What do you mean by shaking?in the steering?Had a 06 classic 900,loved that bike,Rode smooth as butterat low and medium speeds,Had vibration over 70,most do,Nice ride ,like the trunk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...Yeah I'm sure it's me trying to get confident in the added weight...Just gotta get out and ride it...so much different than throwing the CBR into a turn...guess I have to remind myself to ease into corners now...Appreciate the feed back...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks guys...Yeah I'm sure it's me trying to get confident in the added weight...Just gotta get out and ride it...so much different than throwing the CBR into a turn...guess I have to remind myself to ease into corners now...Appreciate the feed back...
Cruisers are a whole different animal,like drivin a yacht compared to a speed boat:wink2:

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Welcome from South Texas. Are you getting some shaking or buffeting? Low speeds should not cause buffeting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome from Maine. I'm 138 lbs, came off a 250 scooter. Some observations: at slow speed it's muscle work - you need to let it know what you want and how you want it done. I've a full windshield and experience no buffeting, shaking or any unusual vibration. But, you know, that's a hefty engine sitting there.... Makes one hell of a lot of everything compared to what you're used to.
And here's an invite to come on up to Maine. Great riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love the hard bags and trunk. Do you know what brand they are or what they're off of? Welcome from PA, by the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy All,

I had a very experienced rider take a quick spin and there is definitely something wrong in the front end...Taking it in on Friday to see what is going on...Thank goodness it wasn't me...Previous owner came over and checked it out also and is going to take care of getting it fixed...Very nice of him to do that as I did buy that bike in "as in" condition...He was very surprised at how it was handling...Possibly the fork oil...He also changed both tires recently...We found the nuts holding the front tire on to be very loose...Maybe they forgot to do something else...Hoping I can be out on it next week...

Dan

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Howdy All,

I had a very experienced rider take a quick spin and there is definitely something wrong in the front end...Taking it in on Friday to see what is going on...Thank goodness it wasn't me...Previous owner came over and checked it out also and is going to take care of getting it fixed...Very nice of him to do that as I did buy that bike in "as in" condition...He was very surprised at how it was handling...Possibly the fork oil...He also changed both tires recently...We found the nuts holding the front tire on to be very loose...Maybe they forgot to do something else...Hoping I can be out on it next week...

Dan
How many miles on the bike?shouldn't be the fork oil,loose axle nut isn't good,Hope things work out,keep us updated:smile2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure who makes them...It's got a Vulcan symbol on the back of the trunk...Previous owner had them paint matched to the bike color scheme...No name on the outside of them...I'll ask and let you know...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The feedback I'm getting (as well as a more experienced rider) is it's more in the bars/fork then in the whee...Wish I knew more about bikes...Can't be anything too major...The rest of the bike is absolutely perfect...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bike has 9600 miles on it...Still wondering if the shop that put new tires on it got something wrong in the process...We'll find out Monday hopefully...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure who makes them...It's got a Vulcan symbol on the back of the trunk...Previous owner had them paint matched to the bike color scheme...No name on the outside of them...I'll ask and let you know...

Thanks. I really like the look of the hard bags, and a trunk would be useful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I think we may have found 90 percent of the problem...Between 4 riders (3 of which pretty experienced) none of us noticed there was only 5 lbs of pressure in the front tire, and 12.5 in the rear...They didn't look low...Went for a short ride and it was much better..Still a slight wobble in the bars...Still taking it in to have everything checked...0:)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well, I think we may have found 90 percent of the problem...Between 4 riders (3 of which pretty experienced) none of us noticed there was only 5 lbs of pressure in the front tire, and 12.5 in the rear...They didn't look low...Went for a short ride and it was much better..Still a slight wobble in the bars...Still taking it in to have everything checked...0:)
Funny none of us so called experienced asked bout tire pressure,number one check,sorry about that,,,,,,did you check tire pressure????set them at specs,on tire or in manual,keep updated:nerd::nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah strange because I'm anal about the tire pressure in my CBR500R...Pretty much prior to every ride I check it...Weird...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts