Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the belt drive. Isn't the belt around the rear sprocket suppose to be more centered, instead of rubbing against that left lip? THX

Some pics of the '11 Vulcan Custom

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a question about the belt drive. Isn't the belt around the rear sprocket suppose to be more centered, instead of rubbing against that left lip? THX

Some pics of the '11 Vulcan Custom

Thanks everyone!
Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike. My belt looks the same, cheats to the left.

posted in your other thread too

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine's off the left, but it doesn't actually rub the lip. After 24k miles there's no sign of wear on the left edge of the belt. If you're concerned, take it to the dealer and have the check the alignment. If the rear wheel isn't lined up right, the belt will slip to one side.

Sitting here at my desk I want to say that if the left side is too far forward, the belt will slip to the left. Too far back and it moves to the right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is to the left also. I think it is almost impossible to have the belt track in the middle. While the belt is against the left rim it should not be rubbing it much...just touching. Mine has 2200 miles and no wear on the left edge of the belt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went through this as well. Actually tried to adjust the alignment to get the belt in the center. It would switch from inside to outside and back depending on the adjustment. Never could get it to stay in the center. I actually noticed the bike trying to turn a bit when the belt was "centered". I put it back to where the alignment marks are equal and left it. Rides fine and no wear.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nice bike! Mine hugs the left side and always has.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is how they come. There shouldn't be any rubbin though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another +1 on belt to the left. Mine looks like it's actually touching the guide but there is no wear on the belt and performance is fine. Can't be sure without looking but I think the manual says it should be more to the left. It did cause me some concern at first too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your belt is in the correct position. That's where it's designed to sit. If the belt is centered, your rear wheel won't track straight. Just another Kawi idiosyncrasy.

I also noticed something strange when I replaced the tires. The teeth on the rear pulley don't extend all the way to that guard rail, meaning that the outer edge of your belt isn't making contact with the pulley.(?) Seriously, pull the rear wheel off and check it out!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for the replies!! I cannot wait unitl I'm out of the "break in" period! Many more questions to come. A lot of knowledgeable people here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts