Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just picked up my new 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic. Beautiful bike....absolutely lovely. It's a huge difference from my older Virago 250. I have had it for a about a week and have 300 kms on it....about 185 miles.

I find that even after about 30 minutes of riding at about 60 km/hr (apprx. 40 mph), the engine gives off a lot of heat and the pipes get really hot. Is this normal for a new bike thats just breaking in or is this not normal? Granted that temps in Toronto this week have been in the 30s'C (90s) but still.....is this engine heating normal? There are no idiot lights showing up so I guess I shouldn't be concerned.

I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say before I take it to the dealer to have it looked it.

Any input/feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok.....I have been riding in stop n go traffic myself since I got the bike.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your radiator fan working? It only comes on if the temp runs up. When it does, it throws off a LOT of heat in the rider's direction. Also check and make sure that the coolant was added at the dealer/factory and that it is at the proper level.

My guess is that you are experiencing normal heat emission.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I was surprised at the amount of heat that came off the engine when I first got my classic. Much more that off my Honda 750. Solved the problem by buying a coolant additive called Water Wetter. Is is an additive that you add to your antifreeze rather than changing out the antifreeze and replacing with engine ice. Although the engine still throws off more heat than my 750, at least it bearable now. By the way, some of the heat you are experiencing is coming from the fan when it turns on. It pulls air through the radiator, so it is blowing towards the rider, and amplifies the level of heat coming back. So, you will either have to learn to live with the heat or try some additives which cool the engine done somewhat........... This is the only issue I have had with my Angus............

·
Registered
273 Posts
engine heat

I wondered the same thing on my new 09? I did notice it is the fan blowing, something it hadn't done much until the temps in mich. went over 90. What exactly does that cooling additive do and would it void the warranty in any way and are there and side effects to using it? It is pretty hot when the fan blows but if it keeps the engine safe then have to have it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have been doing a lot of reading on this product the last few days and it doesn't void your warranty in any way. They guarantee their product and, as stated above, you don't even have to flush the old stuff out. You can just pour it right in and be done with it. I'm planning on picking some up this weekend, but I'm probably gonna drain as much of the old as I can because folks on the Net really seem to swear by the stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Although the engine does get hot, it is by no mean unbearable; I can certainly live with it. I just wanted to see if this is something normal or should I be concerned. But it seems from all your comments that this is something normal with the 900 classic.

The temps here in Toronto aren't about to let up anytime soon so I think I am going to look into this Water Wetter product.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. You are welcome to keep them coming. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can try a water wetter but until the engine loosens up there's not much you can. You should notice a difference not only in temps but also in performance 2000-3000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can try a water wetter but until the engine loosens up there's not much you can. You should notice a difference not only in temps but also in performance 2000-3000 miles.
Thanks Baitis. So this being a new bike/engine contributes to the engine heating up. Ok...will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember riding my buddy's Ducati 1098 one afternoon and feeling like I was hardboiling my eggs. The Vulcan is hot but at least you aren't sitting right on top of the heat source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember riding my buddy's Ducati 1098 one afternoon and feeling like I was hardboiling my eggs. The Vulcan is hot but at least you aren't sitting right on top of the heat source.
So whats the weather like in BC these days? Out here in TO its hot as hell. Got some rain today to cool things down but I hear its back to the heat on Sunday and for the rest of next week.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Was 30 degrees for the past couple of days. I am not even wearing my jacket when I ride...just a t-shirt. Something I would never have done on my rocket, but these cruisers feel so much safer, well and I am older now and don't try to crack a wheelie every couple of blocks now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i reckon you trust your gas gauge and speedo too? it is an idiot light.
So you have replaced all your gauges and idiot lights? If not you are obviously trusting yours too. At least to a point! :)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
So you have replaced all your gauges and idiot lights? If not you are obviously trusting yours too. At least to a point! :)
I don't pay them alot of attention at all. If one flipped on of course I would check things out. But I know how a bike is running from experience. If it doesn't feel right something is wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't pay them alot of attention at all. If one flipped on of course I would check things out. But I know how a bike is running from experience. If it doesn't feel right something is wrong.
I agree. Never liked dummy lights, even on cars, but they are a good starting point. Back to the original post.... These bikes do throw out alot of heat. Nice on cold mornings though.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts