Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a new 2013 Voyager (blue/black version). I really liked the 2013 colors and the fact that I got a great deal on it doesn't hurt either.

Help me out, what do I need to get? :rolleyes: What are some of the best farkles that can be added to make the bike even better than it is now?

Personal opinions and specifics are welcome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Adding the rear speakers is a must in my opinion. Still bugs me that Kawasaki make that an after market add on. Then the 30 pin iPod control cable and a cheap iPod that just stays in the glove box unless I have it out to add music. I never listen to anything else now.

Also very pleased with the Wolo dual horns (and relay!) addition. MUCH louder horn option that only sets you back around $50.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
To Do:
Make sure the antenna is tight. It likes to fall off. Mine fell off on my way home from the dealer.

I added a metal license plate frame on mine because the plates I was issued were cracking around the mounting bolts.

Optional Farkles:

A good GPS or waterproof phone case + power.

If you're good at math and aren't OCD you'll probably be fine with the speedometer being up to 10% off. It bugged me enough that I added a SpeedoDRD module so my shown MPH is true enough that I can depend on it. Most people probably don't care though, that at 70 indicated you're really only doing 67 or less (and wondering why you're getting glared at).

I like my V&H twin slash pipes. Probably a little louder than I wanted but they also look and sound great overall.

I also put on an EJK/Bully style tuner and did the RacnRay Throttle mod. While the throttle mod is a questionable upgrade for me, the tuner definitely helped cool the engine down under certain situations without any adverse affect on mpg.

I also put on a trunk rack as much for looks as anything else. I may strap something small on there but chances are if I'm that loaded for a trip I'm just going to hook my trailer up and toss everything in it. I usually have a solar battery pack on the trunk rack in case I need to charge a phone and don't want to turn the key to ACC to get power to the accessory plug.

Lots of folks recommend wrapping your pipes to keep the heat off your legs. I haven't done it yet so I can't give an opinion on whether or not it's worth it.

My next upgrade will probably be a bluetooth->stereo adapter so I can can listen to music from my phone without having to run an extra cable.

Things I wish I had, some of which are just too expensive: Saddlebag covers, fairing bra, heated grips, CB kit, passenger speakers, better cup holder, louder horn.

Have fun riding that machine! She'll get you anywhere you want to go that's paved!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The first thing you need to do is schedule 2 weeks vacation and spend money on gas and lodging.

Get to know the bike. That will determine what you "need".

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Adding the rear speakers is a must in my opinion. Still bugs me that Kawasaki make that an after market add on. Then the 30 pin iPod control cable and a cheap iPod that just stays in the glove box unless I have it out to add music. I never listen to anything else now.

Also very pleased with the Wolo dual horns (and relay!) addition. MUCH louder horn option that only sets you back around $50.
I'm glad I didn't have to pay extra for something I didn't need. Not sure how well I would hear the rear speakers in my modular helmet.

The intercom was a must for me. I hear the hi tones through them and the low tones through the bike speakers. I can quietly talk with my little princess when she rides on the back.

Is there such a thing as a cheap iPod? ;)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Got my last 16gb ipod at Gamestop for $45 with 1 year warranty. Have over 2100 songs and still have over 5gb of free space. You can buy song or load your own to itunes then the ipod. Mirror extenders were a must for me. Plan on replacing your rear tire around 6,500 miles, keep an eye on it. Your mpg will increase as it gets broke in, if all stock, should get around 40mpg. This can vary where and how you ride. Once you get your 1st oil change at 600 miles, getting into the throttle a little bit seems to help with rings sealing quicker, some have reported oil use during the 1st few thounsand miles, this helps prevent that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the comments. I was on the edge about the rear speakers. I found a set for a fair price, so I ordered them today. I already have a budget iPod I use, I guess I should invest in some more tunes.

I'll look at horn options...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Do:
Make sure the antenna is tight. It likes to fall off. Mine fell off on my way home from the dealer.

I added a metal license plate frame on mine because the plates I was issued were cracking around the mounting bolts.

Optional Farkles:

A good GPS or waterproof phone case + power.

If you're good at math and aren't OCD you'll probably be fine with the speedometer being up to 10% off. It bugged me enough that I added a SpeedoDRD module so my shown MPH is true enough that I can depend on it. Most people probably don't care though, that at 70 indicated you're really only doing 67 or less (and wondering why you're getting glared at).

I like my V&H twin slash pipes. Probably a little louder than I wanted but they also look and sound great overall.

I also put on an EJK/Bully style tuner and did the RacnRay Throttle mod. While the throttle mod is a questionable upgrade for me, the tuner definitely helped cool the engine down under certain situations without any adverse affect on mpg.

I also put on a trunk rack as much for looks as anything else. I may strap something small on there but chances are if I'm that loaded for a trip I'm just going to hook my trailer up and toss everything in it. I usually have a solar battery pack on the trunk rack in case I need to charge a phone and don't want to turn the key to ACC to get power to the accessory plug.

Lots of folks recommend wrapping your pipes to keep the heat off your legs. I haven't done it yet so I can't give an opinion on whether or not it's worth it.

My next upgrade will probably be a bluetooth->stereo adapter so I can can listen to music from my phone without having to run an extra cable.

Things I wish I had, some of which are just too expensive: Saddlebag covers, fairing bra, heated grips, CB kit, passenger speakers, better cup holder, louder horn.

Have fun riding that machine! She'll get you anywhere you want to go that's paved!
I'll check the antenna this weekend and I have a nice plate frame to use when the plates arrive.

I use a Garmin Zumo 390LM so I can use the optional TPSM feature. I love it and plan to mount it this weekend as well. I've gotten so use to having tire pressure display as I ride, it's hard to ride without it now.

This is my 4th Kawasaki, I think all their speedos all off. Isn't that what the GPS is for?... LOL... ;)

I'm going to play with the radio/iphone once I get the cables in (already ordered). What I would like is for music to push thru the speakers via iPod cable and the phone to ring in my helmet via a Sena system. Without the cables, I can't test that process but it should work. If it works, I think I'll run a phone adapter cable from the left box to the handlebar and put the phone next to the left grip. That's what I did on previous bikes:

Thank you for the other comments as well. Love the solar charger thought. As for the exhaust, I think the bike is loud enough as it is (I'm not one for noise), so I'll take my time on exhaust mods. I was looking at the throttle mod and will do that, but only if I do new grips. That one is also on the "not yet" list....

I want saddlebag covers I think. Being a "round" guy, the boots are going to touch the top of the bags, I know it's going to happen. I'll see what brands are out there and then move. I really think pads would be best, anyone know of pads (used TechSpec on my Concours).

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my last 16gb ipod at Gamestop for $45 with 1 year warranty. Have over 2100 songs and still have over 5gb of free space. You can buy song or load your own to itunes then the ipod. Mirror extenders were a must for me. Plan on replacing your rear tire around 6,500 miles, keep an eye on it. Your mpg will increase as it gets broke in, if all stock, should get around 40mpg. This can vary where and how you ride. Once you get your 1st oil change at 600 miles, getting into the throttle a little bit seems to help with rings sealing quicker, some have reported oil use during the 1st few thounsand miles, this helps prevent that.
Mirror extenders.... :eek: Geez, I need those. I watched my arms the entire way home from the dealer. On that tonight!

Thank you for the info on tires/oil. This is just what I need to know. Much appreciated for sure.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first thing you need to do is schedule 2 weeks vacation and spend money on gas and lodging.

Get to know the bike. That will determine what you "need".
It looks like this won't happen until this summer and two weeks for my work isn't even possible. But I'm working on a week-long one....

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with everything Sandcrwler put on his list. However, I will add that the RacnRay throttle mod was the single most effective thing I did on my Vaquero. That stock lag sucks. Ray's mod makes the throttle respond immediatley with less crank of the throttle. This is especially good during slow parking lot manuevers. My $.02

·
Registered
117 Posts
An easy fix for the Antenna issue is to put a small lock washer under it, that is what the dealer did to mine after it fell off, but it is covered under Warranty, so if you lose one they should replace it, they did mine and they are pricey, like $100.00
I agree on the rear speakers are a must, the fun of a new bike is making it your own, but that can be pricey too. just like the old Johnny Cash song One piece at a time.....

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with everything Sandcrwler put on his list. However, I will add that the RacnRay throttle mod was the single most effective thing I did on my Vaquero......
Thanks for the input. I have to admit there seems to be a lot of people that like this mod and I decided to do grips. It's on the list now....

An easy fix for the Antenna issue is to put a small lock washer under it ........

I agree on the rear speakers are a must....
Thanks AZ, seems like a very easy fix and worth it rather than spend $100...

Comments on the speakers noted for sure...

Fix/Wrap that ignition wire rubbing on the fuel tank.
Thank you Mid. I did some searches and found the forum topics that list how to check and wrap the wires. Maybe that's something to do at the 600 mile or 3000 mile services. It is sure something I'll get at if I do any wiring that requires the tank to be loose...

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
For a little bit don't do anything... just ride it.

I see no deed for the rear speakers. If it had come with them fine, but not for what they cost to add on. Had them before on several other scoots... the stereo is fine just with the fronts. You can wire in a sub miniature female stereo plug at the ipod wire and use any sound source for input on aux. I use an old RCA mp3 player I got at walmart for 5 bucks 10 years ago. I have about 10 ours of music on it. Will run 12 hours on a single AAA battery.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Don't know if you need them on a Voyager with the rear fan kit but I agree with aschamne. Those RJS heat deflectors made a big difference on my Nomad. My wife even noticed less heat on her legs.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First item arrived.... iPod adapter. I confiscated an unused iPod Nano from my daughter, restored it and loaded my iTunes music library on it. It worked great...

Having the same music on my phone and on the Nano will allow me to choose if I want to listen to the speakers or use the Sena connected to my phone.

The negative comments I've read from others about the padding provided in the kit are true (in my opinion). The cables and Nano don't take up much room, but that padding makes the glove box useless and the iPod difficult to get in and out. I'll modify that thing or make my own...

Some of the items that I'm working on are:

• Most important to me (because of back issues), I'm working with Russell Daylong to redo the seat. They are backed up in the winter, :( so that looks like a February project.
  • I ordered two windshields. The first was a used 13" I got real cheap and couldn't pass up... I also ordered a Baggershield 11" / 18". That seemed to be the most versatile. I'm 6' and the Russell seat mods they'll do will put high in the saddle (I stand on my toes with my 1700 Classic). With that, I thought I would need the option to have a tall shield from time to time.
  • Cobra saddlebag protectors (due next week)
  • Rear speaker kit (due next week)
  • Lock washer on the antenna
  • Mirror extenders (due today)
  • ISO grips (from Racnray, due late next week)
  • I'll move a Zumo 390LM to the Voyager this weekend. That will give me a GPS and TPMS display.
  • Found a used set bag liners and highway begs from a fellow member. I really wanted the liners, don't know about the pegs yet. They will arrive early next week.
That's all I can handle for now, and stay married. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts