Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
traded my 1100 vstar for a 2015 vaquero 2 days ago. Im half way through my second tank of gas with 400 klms. on the odo. Im sure the gas mileage will improve as the motor breaks in. my kawasaki dealer told me to break in the motor the same way I would ride it every day and thats fine with me. this the first fuel injected bike Ive owned and Im having a hard time getting used to the throttle lag as others have said on this forum. Is this some thing that will improve with engine breakin or do I have to spend money on a aftermarket ECU like the power commander as other vaquero owners have done? Im 61 years old and like to ride on country roads and highways so I dont ride hard but I dont puttputt around either. I find that the throttle smooths out around 2500 to 3000 rpms in any gear. am I expecting too much too soon or is this the norm for this motor?

·
Registered
580 Posts
traded my 1100 vstar for a 2015 vaquero 2 days ago. Im half way through my second tank of gas with 400 klms. on the odo. Im sure the gas mileage will improve as the motor breaks in. my kawasaki dealer told me to break in the motor the same way I would ride it every day and thats fine with me. this the first fuel injected bike Ive owned and Im having a hard time getting used to the throttle lag as others have said on this forum. Is this some thing that will improve with engine breakin or do I have to spend money on a aftermarket ECU like the power commander as other vaquero owners have done? Im 61 years old and like to ride on country roads and highways so I dont ride hard but I dont puttputt around either. I find that the throttle smooths out around 2500 to 3000 rpms in any gear. am I expecting too much too soon or is this the norm for this motor?
Congrat's on the new bike. Unfortunately the hesitation you feel is normal, but the good thing is that it can easily be fixed. Search this forum for "Throttle Modification" and you will find all the info you need. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The throttle lag on my voyager is annoying, but I have found the chepaest and easiest way around it is more wrist.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The throttle lag is actually due to the electronic throttle valve, not fuel injection. Fuel injection is actually a more responsive system. "RACNRAY" makes a throttle mod that you can buy that cures the hesitation.

Enjoy the bike! My fuel economy improved with break in and the bike got noticeably smoother with break in too.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
CONGRATS on getting a VAQUERO. I've had mines since April 2011 and am still enjoyin the heck outa it. Matter of fact this past Monday Labor day I did a 563 mile day and ended up passing a new mileage milestone...85,000 miles!!!

I, as you, noticed the throttle lag within the first 1000 mls and knew there was a programming problem in the ride by wire operation. Determining the cause and coming up with a fix was priority in my first dyno session. That is where I came up with my throttle mod, and it goes a long way to rid the bike of what I and most feel was a mistake on Kawi's part in the ECU programming. Here's the link to discussions and responses from those who have purchased my mod, I'll also pm you the info.

Click here-------> http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/19978-throttle-modification.html

These are very tight engines with ALOT of internal friction so expect it to loosen up, run smoother, get better mpg and get better acceleration. I have had MANY 1700's on my dyno, most of them Vaqueros so I know these skoots well. Hers the odo on my Vaq at 4 years and 4 months old...

You got any question feel free to pm or call my shop 954-455-9665.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
702 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Many share your frustration with the throttle lag; not something you should expect from a new bike but it is what it is. You traded in a nice bike!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to all for your replys. up here in the great white north, we have about six more weeks of riding season left then it will be time to put the bike away for winter, so I think Ill just run it as is for now and try to get enough klms. on to get my first oil change done before winter. that being said its still good to know that the throttle lag is some thing that can and will be fixed in the spring time. thank you racnray for the post on the throttle mod. Im sure we will be talking on this forum again as I try to learn more about my bike from pros like you. this is my first kawasaki and I love my vaquero.:grin2:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade to the Vaquero.

Sorry to hear you have to put your bike away in 6 weeks. I cant imagine not riding for months at a time. I guess RacnRay and I are blessed to have year round riding weather despite the blistering heat and monsoons. :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the throttle lag a U.S. issue? Different tune from other countries perhaps? I just spent a couple of weeks on a 2009 Voyager and I've ridden our shop's 2015 Vaguero quite a bit also. Didn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think it is country specific. I got out for a short ride today and the temps outside was 63 degrees so the bike ran noticably cooler,well below halfway on the temp guage. On the highway the throttle was very responsive and snappy. As soon as i got to the city the engine temp roze over halfway and the throttle started to lag again. So now i am beginning to think this might be engine temp related.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I dont think it is country specific. I got out for a short ride today and the temps outside was 63 degrees so the bike ran noticably cooler,well below halfway on the temp guage. On the highway the throttle was very responsive and snappy. As soon as i got to the city the engine temp roze over halfway and the throttle started to lag again. So now i am beginning to think this might be engine temp related.
The ECU retards the timing when the temp rises reducing throttle response. I think all big fuel injected bikes act the same way.

I rented an Ultra 2 years ago in California and it was much worse than our 1700's when it got hot. It actually dropped a cylinder at idle which made it even more of a hopper. Forget about throttle response leaving a red light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations on the new Vaq. My bride rides a V* 1100 and wants my VAQ!

The 1700's have a programmed in safety mode. When the engine temps gets close to that 3/4 temp mark, the system retards itself a bit to self protect.

RacnRay posted a thread here about adding a fan override switch. Which many of us have done, including myself. When in town and the temp gets to half way, I flick on the switch which turns the fan on. This keeps the engine cool enough that the self-protect engine-retard mode does not engage.

Also, adding a fuel processor can help with engine temps. These engines a tuned a little lean from the factory. Opinions are to help meet emission standards. By adding a bit more fuel, the engine runs cooler. Many also improve MPG (KPL?) (fuel economy) due to the engine not having to works as hard.

The RacnRay throttle mod also helps with the hesitation or lag.

Again, welcome and congratulations!

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
281 Posts
Smokier, can you take a pic of where you mounted your fan override switch. When I was in Rays shop I looked at his bike and saw the LEDs that let him know the fan is on but could not see where he has the switch. I need to do this mod.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is mine exactly. Lots of bark off the line on temperate days, on hot days, she falls apart unless I give her a good shot of wrist. Nothing... nothing... nothing.... THERE it is! Annoying as all $hit, but my wife has put me on a spending budget. An amplifier is the next purchase, the throttle mod will have to wait.

I don't know what Kawi was thinking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rozie, I feel your pain with the riding season always ending too soon in Canada....but I no longer feel the pain of the throttle lag you're talking about, Ray's throttle mod did the trick. As you've probably read :nerd:, it's a winner eh! Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry HockeyNut52, Missed seeing your request:
hockeynut52 said:
Smokier, can you take a pic of where you mounted your fan override switch.
Please see attached...

If I can help, please let me know.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Dag nab it. I have the switch for the Aux driving lights there. Thanks anyway buddy
There are a few brands of handlebar mounted aux switches. A little pricey compared to just throwing a $2 switch somewhere; but it prevents having to drill into the bike somewhere.

Plus it's at your finger tips. Push the button as you come up to a red light!

I'm sure there is a way to use a resistor or something to 'fool' the fan into coming on much earlier. Rather than coming on near the end of the temperature range, I'd like it to come on maybe just after the 'middle' hashmark. I'm sure that's possible, but I wouldn't even begin to know how to.

The ECU retards the timing when the temp rises reducing throttle response. I think all big fuel injected bikes act the same way.

I rented an Ultra 2 years ago in California and it was much worse than our 1700's when it got hot. It actually dropped a cylinder at idle which made it even more of a hopper. Forget about throttle response leaving a red light.
I test rode one, and a Road Glide (I prefer the Road Glides fairing; though I know that's blasphemy to most!). Much more heat than the 1700 and, like you said, quite a bit of hesitation off the light. The Indian had a terrible throttle lag, that was across the range and not just low speeds. Neither was a dealbreaker though (Other things were). I honestly am not that bothered by engine heat (I don't "like" it but it's not the end of the world). But compared to a few other machines I've ridden, the 1700 is nothing. And what are we riding in traffic for anyway? Get out on the open road! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
"I'm sure there is a way to use a resistor or something to 'fool' the fan into coming on much earlier."

FYI, the water temp sensor works on decreasing resistance as the water heats up, so adding a resistor won't work. The ECU opens and closes a relay based on that resistance to turn the fan on/off. I read somewhere (this forum or somewhere else, not sure) that there are some other water temp sensors that fit and will make the fan come on at lower temps, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts