Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My stock tyres were due for a change. I have done 19 xxxkms and it was definitely time for a change.

I have read almost every forum and every review to find what tyres suit me best.

I ride pretty hard , no matter the weather, aggressive lean angles , 2 up from time to time and I take long rides (6-7 hrs). I basically needed an all in one tyre.

I ended up getting the Angel GT

These tyres... amazing choice!

I never had anything to compare the stock tyres to as I have never ridden before. Comparing the stock to these? The stocks are rubbish compared to them.

They so grippy , I was so surprised. They feel like you are taking a turn and someone is just pulling you into the apex.

Highly recommend these tyres, I really do. They are classified under the sport touring tyres and I can see why. They are meant to last longer than the stocks and provide a lot more grip.

They look super aggressive and they are great in the wet.

Yes I finally got my new license plate :grin2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is the bad news.

1 week after the new tyres and having fun , I got a screw...

It was an easy fix though

Tyre is not leaking and bike is running perfectly.

I ride a lot , every single day.

Always , Always , Always, Have a First Aid kit and a Tyre Repair Kit.

Tyre Repair kit: Repair Kit

First Aid Kit: First Aid Kit

·
Registered
494 Posts
I put Angel GT's on my KVS as well and love them...great tire.

Sadly I too took a screw in the rear tire about a week after putting them on. I had a mushroom plug kit but it was beyond useless...won't rehash the details on the kit but it completely failed me. Fortunately a fellow rider lived across the road from where I was stopped and came out with a rope patch kit and a compressor filled with air. He saved the day and I got home safely.

Ordered a new tire that night as I too enjoy some aggressive riding and was not about to hammer the twisties on a damaged tire.

I've since switched to a simple rope repair kit and, knock on wood, no more flats.

Good luck...hopefully you don't get screwed again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those look like awesome tires! For sure going on my KVS when mine finally wear out. I have heard the stock Dunlops aren't too great.

Question for OP: I see you said you ride for 6+ hours at a time.. do you have the stock seat? How do you manage to do this without killing your back? My back starts hurting after a hour or so of riding. :( Thinking about getting a Corbin but $$$$

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put Angel GT's on my KVS as well and love them...great tire.

Sadly I too took a screw in the rear tire about a week after putting them on. I had a mushroom plug kit but it was beyond useless...won't rehash the details on the kit but it completely failed me. Fortunately a fellow rider lived across the road from where I was stopped and came out with a rope patch kit and a compressor filled with air. He saved the day and I got home safely.

Ordered a new tire that night as I too enjoy some aggressive riding and was not about to hammer the twisties on a damaged tire.

I've since switched to a simple rope repair kit and, knock on wood, no more flats.

Good luck...hopefully you don't get screwed again.
Having a flat is the worst! Having a proper kit will always save your ass.

I have noticed the biker community are extremely helpful. Top props for that biker helping you out

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look like awesome tires! For sure going on my KVS when mine finally wear out. I have heard the stock Dunlops aren't too great.

Question for OP: I see you said you ride for 6+ hours at a time.. do you have the stock seat? How do you manage to do this without killing your back? My back starts hurting after a hour or so of riding. /forums/images/smilies/frown.gif Thinking about getting a Corbin but $$$$

Regarding the seat ,I do have the stock seat and yes it can get annoying but I don't see the fuss with it . It maybe because I have everything set up to my height (6ft 1) or the fact I ride with proper riding Jean's.

The Jean's I wear have kevlar throughout and there is a lot of padding where my butt goes.

Draggin Jeans Men's Revz Jeans

I recommend these. I would recommend buying something that could save your skin and some comfort than purely a seat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey what are those boat cleats on your rear fender? I'm looking everywhere for them and can't find it. This is the only place I've seen them!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey what are those boat cleats on your rear fender? I'm looking everywhere for them and can't find it. This is the only place I've seen them!

Oh there were some generate eBay ones that I put on. I made some custom brackets and bolts to bolt onto the frame.

They came in hand for when passengers wanted to hold on something, when I need to tie down something or a way to lock my helmet to the bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
They look like the fender ties that come with the Kawasaki soft top bag.
Thanks, sometimes just knowing what they're called is half the battle. I kept googling some variation on "motorcycle cleats" but kept showing the shoes :grin2:

Oh there were some generate eBay ones that I put on. I made some custom brackets and bolts to bolt onto the frame.

They came in hand for when passengers wanted to hold on something, when I need to tie down something or a way to lock my helmet to the bike
I absolutely love the look. I'm planning my big spring 2020 (northern hemisphere) aesthetic do-over and this is exactly the mix of practicality and aesthetic I'm going for. Do you have a link? I found and searched your link document but didn't find these. Some of the ebay links in there are broken.

Oh and any information/pictures of how you fastened them to the frame would be very helpful, too

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, sometimes just knowing what they're called is half the battle. I kept googling some variation on "motorcycle cleats" but kept showing the shoes :grin2:

I absolutely love the look. I'm planning my big spring 2020 (northern hemisphere) aesthetic do-over and this is exactly the mix of practicality and aesthetic I'm going for. Do you have a link? I found and searched your link document but didn't find these. Some of the ebay links in there are broken.

Oh and any information/pictures of how you fastened them to the frame would be very helpful, too
Here are the ones I bought: Boat Cleats

As for how I put them on, I had to drill into the fender cover bracket thingy to make 2 holes. I made sure that 1 of the holes was aligned with one of the bolts that go into the frame

I got a rectangle peice of thin metal , cut it to size and hammered a bend into it to match the curvature of the fender cover thingy. drilled 2 holes in the metal bracket and had to drill out a larger hole in the boat cleats to accommodate the larger bolt.

Placed it on the back of the fender cover thingy, got a longer bolt to go through the boat cleat, through the fender cover thingy, metal support bracket I made and into the frame.

So, 1 bolt goes into the frame while the other just into the fender cover thingy and the metal bracket I made with a nut at the end.

I can't remember the bolt size or length. You can take off your existing ones to your local hardware store and request for the same bolt with extra 15-25mm in length.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts