Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting my first set of tires for my 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic. I'm a new rider, so I don't need anything over the top, but I'd like something of good quality and durability at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kcoleman,
I'm late to the party but if your still shopping. I have Michelin II on my 800 classic and have been happy for over 6,000 miles. Smooth ride and handling wet or dry.
However, Metzler 888 are offering $50 cash back gift card that tip the scale. Research both and you'll see they are very close in the customer ratings.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ron, what is your experience with the handling of the Commander IIs after some wear on them? Was looking at those for me '12 900 custom, but saw some reviews about poor performance after 4k miles (rear tire slipping a bit in turns / if road is wet). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I hear a good quality and durable tire are the Michelin commander 2's

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
oh speaking of wet roads, I wouldn't ride on wet if I had the option, I think any tire would be the same on wet

·
Registered
445 Posts
Gjones,

I can only say good things about the MCII they handle great at 6000 plus miles wet or dry. The front still looks new and the rear has lots of life left. I'm guessing I can go another 4000 properly inflated miles. The unit of measure I use is how well they maintain control on rough or cracked roads, and how grated bridges no longer take control of the steering. However, if I were buying tire today I would be drawn to Metzler 888 the $50 rebate for a very similarly rated tire. When I was shopping tires the reviews were very close and I found MCIIs for a better price. I'm sure you'll be happy especially if you coming off stock tires, the difference is night and day the first 500 miles. Check out Motorcycle Gear, Free Shipping, & HD Video Reviews - RevZilla for video reviews good luck.

Ron

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I had the MCII's on mine as well, very good tire. The only reason I went to a BF Goodrich is cause I wanted to go white walls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts