Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from sportbikes before I got my 900 classic last summer, never had bags before. Searching through bag threads here, I don't see many using throw-over type bags, that fit under or over the seat.

Should this style be avoided, vs. brackets, etc. ?

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can get just about any type of bags but make sure you get the supports too.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
use brackets regardless.... throwovers or fixed styles need to be held away from moving parts. throwovers can dull paint and without brackets they can get rubbed holes in them pretty qucikly. I found my first set of throwovers were cheaply made too and sagged and looked like Cr%$#@ pretty quickly.

Coming from sportbikes before I got my 900 classic last summer, never had bags before. Searching through bag threads here, I don't see many using throw-over type bags, that fit under or over the seat.

Should this style be avoided, vs. brackets, etc. ?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
For your bike, i'd stay away from the throw-overs. The crossover piece will cause excessive wear on your seat or fender (where ever it rubs) and you still need to find a way to tie them down or you'll look like you're flapping wings going down the road and beat the crap out of your bike and whatever's in the bags.

They have quick-removal bracket type bags if you don't want to leave them on all the time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Throwovers suck... for 23 reasons...
Whether you get hard or soft doesn't matter as long as they're attached. However, I can recommend the Ghost Brackets though. I put them on my LT and really like being able to remove the bags for cleaning and maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Keep away from throw overs for the reasons stated above, there are plenty of aftermarket leather and fiberglass bags and brackets avaiablel for this model, all with reinforced tubs, this keeps the shape and stops stuff from rubbing or falling into moving parts, also there a lot cheaper than OEM bags.

Try cheapcycleparts.com or meancycle.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Rollingbones, I like those Ghost Brackets. Pricey, but they look well made. Same for their bags.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the "lived in" look of toss over bags.. I hate the way-too-groomed look of the fiberglass or reinforced bags. If you have a backrest to stop the throwovers from sliding off you'll pretty much only have to tie one leather lace to each bag to stop it from flapping. Laces can span as far as you need to to find a crossmember. I take mine off and on so often it's nice to just untie a knot and lift them off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought these bags after looking high and low at lots of different options. These cost a little more than most, but I think they were well worth it. I just couldn't see throwing sloppy bags on a nice looking bike. I went back and forth between the Kawi factory bags and these (ussaddlebags) for quite a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought these bags after looking high and low at lots of different options. These cost a little more than most, but I think they were well worth it. I just couldn't see throwing sloppy bags on a nice looking bike. I went back and forth between the Kawi factory bags and these (ussaddlebags) for quite a while.

Been looking at that site, thanks for the photos. Any problems with the exhaust ? Looks close.

Kinnally, me too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Been looking at that site, thanks for the photos. Any problems with the exhaust ? Looks close.

Kinnally, me too.
There was not interference in installing them. As a matter of fact, the installation was way easy. I've only put a few miles on the bike since installing them because by that time the first snow had fallen. It does look close in the pictures but the pictures make it look worse than it really is. I did get the wider option which maybe adds to the illusion that the bags are super close to the exhaust.

I will say that I still use a tank bag to get small stuff in and out quickly. That's because these bags are not really quick to access. After you lift the cover, there are two zippers. It is a two hand operation (no big deal, but it does make for a little more fumbling). Keep in mind, I also have a Goldwing and I'm used to one hand operation of the trunk lid for easy access.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:)Great looking bags! I just installed the plain us saddlebags on my 900 Classic. These really are great quality compared to all the other bags that I looked at. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
will bags weather well

Great looking bags. I think the U.S. Saddlebags are the best looking leather bags out there. At the price of $600+ they are near the price of hard bags.
Do you have any info as how well they look after a good rain? I really like the looks of them, but worry about the look of them after they have seen some weather.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great looking bags. I think the U.S. Saddlebags are the best looking leather bags out there. At the price of $600+ they are near the price of hard bags.
Do you have any info as how well they look after a good rain? I really like the looks of them, but worry about the look of them after they have seen some weather.

Thanks
I don't have that experience yet. I keep mine garaged and only expect to be out during some light rain. I do most of my long rides on my Goldwing. I am pretty sure they will be fine even in pretty hard rain as long as they are wiped down shortly after. It may be that the inset flames would make these a little more vulnerable to some damage than the plain ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put on a set of saddleman jumbo slants, they ended up looking real good and are easily removable. Installation was a breeze too. They also have plenty of room to hold all ya need for a weekend trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts