Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to take a 500 mile trip on my Classic 900. But I have been experiencing hand cramping and numbness. Any suggestions on a good cruise control or throttle lock for my trip?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
you can get a 30 dollar throttle lock at your local dealership, that's the best I have heard of so far. That's on my list of mods. Honestly though, I just take my hand off the grip for a moment to get the feeling back.

V

·
0 Posts
A universal throattle locker will help and also most that complain about this issue also get risers and usually this convination works great.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I rode 6000 miles in 16 days and never found an issue with cramping, must have funny arms / hands i guess. LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Go for the throttle lock. There's no substitute for being able to drop your hand into your lap and ride that way for a little while.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the "throttle lock" on all my bikes, love the option to be able to safely take hand off the grip for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also have the Vista Cruise Universal mount. Even if you don't take your right hand off the grip, the lock allows you to loosen your grip and you don't get the thumb cramp. Just make sure you don't over tighten the strap. You don't want to be fighting the lock if you need to throttle back quickly.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's not uncommon for people to grip the throttle tighter then necesary. Truthfully you are supposed to hook the thumb, have your fingers cover the brake lever and use the friction of your hand to hold the throttle position. But that's pretty hard to keep up to. I have the Vista Cruise, you CAN use a piece of leather, an Oring or anything that you can shove between the throttle and the throttle housing. But I like the ease of the Vista Cruise and use it constantly.

Now, someone is BOUND to come in and tell you HE uses the Breakaway controller, because he likes the extra safety of his 250 dollar throttle lock. Works the same way but instead of thumbing the release of the Vista Cruise the Brakeaway releases when you pull on the brake, or thumb the release button. It's cute. Frankly, the last emergency stop I made on the bike I had my Vista Cruise locked and when I reached for the brake I had rolled forward on the throttle like your supposed to. The Vista Cruise is adjusted tight enough to only over-ride the return spring, no tighter. So you can adjust the throttle for hills and roll it off if needed. And it's 200 bucks cheaper then the Brakeaway. If you like the Brake Away, well go ahead knock yourself out. But if you're iffy on whether to lay the bucks out for it, release it's no better anywhere but your head.

And that's all you need to know about throttle locks. Well, except they are not cruise controls. You will need to adjust for hills and such, but it takes 90% of the load off of you and does free up your right hand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Howdy, I have the same prob. with my hands. I found on the net, what I think the brand name is Throttle Rocker.They are hard plastic with a velcro loop that you strap on your throttle and you can rest the palm of your hand on the contoured plastic and rest your fingers and hand, you can easily give it gas with your palm. It helped me so much that I bought one for the left side. I've had them for three years and I think I gave twenty something $$ for them both,,Hope this helps and,,,Ride Safe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Brake Away on mine. Yes, its a little pricey, but it has a disconnect that is activated by the front brake or a manual disconnect as well. Plus, it looks good.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a Brake Away on mine. Yes, its a little pricey, but it has a disconnect that is activated by the front brake or a manual disconnect as well. Plus, it looks good.
more details as to model and other info would be nice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am planning to take a 500 mile trip on my Classic 900. But I have been experiencing hand cramping and numbness. Any suggestions on a good cruise control or throttle lock for my trip?
I suggest you look at "The Wrist Rest" found on the Hognutz web site.
I use this all the time on long rides.
I have tried several other throttle locks but find the wrist rest is the best one and most convenient to use.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I suggest you look at "The Wrist Rest" found on the Hognutz web site.
I use this all the time on long rides.
I have tried several other throttle locks but find the wrist rest is the best one and most convenient to use.
That's kind of like this:

Crampbuster on amazon.com

but more expensive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I ponied up the extra $ for the Brakeaway, and I like it. It's well made and works (and looks) great. I thought the install was pretty easy. I almost never release it with the brake lever, though. If I was going to do it again, I'd take a look at the Vista. The only thing that bothers me about it is how far it seems to stick out.

Also, a throttle rocker helps. I've got ISO grips, so I got a Throttle Boss, but there are $5 jobbies that do the same thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another vote for a CrampBuster (or the like). I had a Vista Cruis on my old bike years ago and it worked well and was going to put one on the Vulcan, but I wanted to give one of these simple devices a try - glad I did. Sure enough it won't let you put your hand on your lap, but it certainly prevents any strain in the wrist. Pretty darn good for $9.

Cheers,
Kerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts