Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a Vulcan 900 custom. I bought the bike because I liked the look, feel and ride of it. I have been modifying quads and cars for years and have built tons of race cars. I have a few questions I searched but didnt find my answers.

First is there and exhaust thread with different exhaust and dyno sheets? My exhaust has the baffles removed and I dont want it any louder but I like the look of the swept exhaust

Where is the best place to buy parts for these, the forums always know the best places.

I know the bike will be underpowered without mods but I am not far off from the power I would like for everyday cruising but I would like to look into cams, pistons, exhaust, PC3 and intake. Also who bores the TB's for these? Also is dynojet making a PC5 for these with autotune? Do you guys share PC3 maps and PC5 maps?

What is the stock compression ratio of these and does someone have a dyno sheet of a stock one so I can see the TQ curve? Thanks

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sheesh...we be still arguin over regular or unleaded.....raflmao.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sheesh...we be still arguin over regular or unleaded.....raflmao.
Is someone posting while drunk LOL

I dont care about arguing, I just want to know where the best place is to buy parts. Also the noise level of exhaust.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cmat,
The stock 900 has a compression ratio of 9.5:1. I haven't seen a dyno sheet for the stock motor, but I have seen an article stating the stock motor to put out 53hp @ 6000 rpm and torque of 60.5 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm. I had searched for cams sometime late last year and couldn't find any, lots of stuff for 800's but nothing 900's. I haven't seen the actual stock cam specs listed anywhere. But the 900 cams are designed for low end and mid range torque, so adding a bigger cam you will loose some of the low end. I keep debating if I really need anymore power in the upper end. I commute alot and I never really rev the thing up or find the need to. I ride with some guys with Harley's, a Roadstar and a 1800 VTX, and I keep up with them fine. I'm sure in a quarter mile they beat me, but these are cruisers, not sport bike or drag racers. As far as exhaust dyno, Motorcycle cruiser magazine was doing a "Long-term Bikes" series (Oct. 08) on a 900 classic that installed a Fi2000, Vance & Hines exhaust and a Baron Big Air kit and got an 8% increase in hp but lost some of the bottom end torque. Note: their stock dyno was much less than what I stated above, even after the modifications.

As far as fuel management, I've been looking at Cobra's Fi2000, they don't have maps that you download, they have 3 adjustment pods that are numbered and you set them to a pre-determined starting point based on Cobra's research for given bike model, it's plug & play. From there you can play with it to make adjustment for low, mid and upper end range based on any engine modifications. I don't have one yet but I sure I've seen threads with people who have used them.

As far as where to buy stuff, I don't know that there's any one great source if you talking price alone, I buy from many places. J&P Cycles have a good selection, but they're not the cheapest. It also depend on if your looking for hi-performance engine parts, OEM parts or aftermarket add ons. I have bought stuff from Ebay stores, these have "Buy Now" prices not just bidding on items. I've bought from "Babbits Online" for OEM stuff. I just search online until I find the best price and shipping for an item.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm kind of curious re your comments. "The bike will be underpowered".....for what??? There are lots of people who ride 2-up on long trips on stock 900's and have no trouble. The Motorcycle Cruiser long term classic dyno'd at 43hp. IMO, they lost some low end torque by choosing the V&H 2-2 exhaust. Any 2-1 or dual pipe setup w/crossover (i.e. Cobra Speedsters) will give you all you need.

If you just add pipes w/o intake, most of them won't be much louder than your debaffled setup, if at all. I added Cobra Longs and quite frankly, I could swear they weren't quite as loud as the debaffled's they replaced. Add an intake and processor and yes, things will get louder....mine did. I have about 4K on mine since replacing the pipes and they mellowed out some after a couple thousand miles.

You're pretty much stuck with the "big 3" mods to a 900 engine (pipes, intake, processor). There may be something else out there for them, but I've not seen anything.

Whatever is available you can get from:

www.phatperformanceparts.com

www.meancycles.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I needed to know. I can have the parts I want, if I choose to change things up, custom made I will just need to find a used engine to measure with. The bike has plenty of power right now for me, it is a cruiser, but I cant leave any thing stock LOL.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is someone posting while drunk LOL

I dont care about arguing, I just want to know where the best place is to buy parts. Also the noise level of exhaust.
I was being facetious. We try to have a bit of humor occasionally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts