Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum yesterday. I have been thinking about making some mods to my bike and this place seems full of info.

If anyone is in or around STL let me know. I actually live in Bethalto, IL but work downtown.

I have been looking for the best place to buy stuff for my bike.

Thank you and safe riding.

Walt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome Walt. STL here as well. There is a meetup group ridestl.com that does weekly rides in the area if you are interested. Cyclegear is a good place in the area. Cycle house Performance on Watson is another well respected local shop. I just had tires replaced at Cyclehouse performance and they were great to deal with.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm a newbie (super newbie, haven't even picked the bike up yet), and sort of from the STL area. About an hour southwest. I actually found alot of gear and things at Big St.Charles Motorsports, shouldn't be too far from you. A whole lot more than I found at Cycle Gear. I was extremely disappointed in Cycle Gear's sales staff (Much too good to help little old me, one literally rolled his eyes and huffed and puffed when I asked where something was, then managed to lean away from the counter long enough to point in the general direction, never found it. Big St.Charles had it though, the lady in the motorclothes department was super helpful). That, and they had a very limited selection of helmet (Your either gonna spend $20 or $500, nothing in between).

That said, maybe I should give them another try. They came highly recommended to me, and folks here are recommending them too. I just couldn't get over how awful the sales staff was. I'm sure they were tired, I showed up after work and it's over an hour drive so I was there 30 minutes before they closed (Wanted to get an HJC CL-16 helmet, which they didn't carry, tried to look for some other stuff, but it was like pulling teeth to get any help. I was the only customer in the store, three employees were leaning on the front counter chatting). Still, I'd think SOME service isn't too much to ask. It is not an exaggeration to say that during my entire time there, with three employees and me being the only customer (someone was walking out as I walked in, but nobody was in there when I got there), nobody said a single word to me. When I asked about some gloves I got a finger point (he didn't even break eye contact with his co-worker he was chatting about the weekend with). I went back up and asked about the helmet, after a sigh the other guy just shook his head and said "nope" (Okay, ONE word), after that I left.

My $0.02!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If I was treated that way, I wouldn't bother going back. Just imagine what they're going to do *after* they've taken your money.

Joe
Having worked retail I have a little sympathy, it can be tiring (not necessarily labor intensive, but you do get sick of dealing with folks who think you are personally responsible for why their products don't cost the same as they did in 1964. And you are personally responsible for being out of stock, and should drive them to the next store yourself! haha). That said, I don't think I ever treated a customer like that. I always reminded myself that I was getting paid, and they were paying me. Not paying me much, but paying me. If all I have to do is sit and listen to someone whine for a few minutes and then get paid a couple bucks for it, well that's not such a bad deal.

Anyway, I still might give them another try. Only because so many people have good things to say about them. That and, maybe they have more stuff that I just couldn't find (I didn't stay long, the service put me off plus it was almost quittin' time there), they are alot closer than Big St.Charles.

That said, I've always had fantastic service from Big St.Charles. From folks helping me fit a helmet or find certain gear, to the salesmen in the pre-owned bikes department who were helpful and surprisingly low-pressure. (I've often found big dealerships like that, with cars anyway, to be sell-it-fast-and-move-on-to-the-next-schmuck). Those guys were great. Highly recommended if your in the area.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had nothing but good luck with big st charles motorsports. The only reason I didn't buy my bike from them is because they couldn't figure out how the dealer got the price that low so they wouldn't match it. I have been out to big several times in the past few weeks and every time they are nothing but helpful.

If your in the st louis area and looking for an amazing deal on a vulcan, call elli's cycles. I bought my bike there last month and the price was so low every other dealer I went to told me to buy the bike because they couldn't come close to the price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome Walt and hello to everyone else who is posting replies...

I would like to invite you all to check out the Shadow Riders of St. Louis. We are an all-brand motorcycle club... the largest in the STL metro area, and we have an organized ride every single Sunday during the three riding seasons. We meet at the Old Orchard Shopping Center in Ballwin (Manchester Rd.) in the parking lot in front of where Old Country Buffet used to be between 9 and 10 a.m. with kickstands up at 10 a.m. We ride usually 80 to 120 miles on rural roads to a great lunch destination.

Please be my guest and come for a ride! Also google us... just search for Shadow Riders St. Louis to find our website! Just introduce yourself to anyone else there and we will give you the VIP treatment!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Walt STL.
Welcome. I live in Columbia but spend my weekends in the ST Louis area. As Romans5.8 said, Big in St Charles is a pretty good place to go. I actually bought my bike from them. Another option for you is Neihaus Cycle in Litchfield. They are big into Wings but they also have a lot of other parts. Great people too. After that, there are a ton of web sites to browse for stuff. I also found that going to MC events will give you access to vendors and such.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello Walt,

Also a St. Louisan here. Bought my bike from a dealer near you over in Wood River, Il. J & P Cycles. They don't have a lot of accessories, but they are great to deal with for service. Joe, the owner is really laid back and a very fair guy. Only place I will let touch my sweetie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts