Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vulcan S or Vulcan 900

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been on a motorcycle. I'm 6' 275lbs and I'm looking into purchasing my 1st bike. I have read so much on the Kawasaki Vulcan line but I'm a little torn between the Vulcan S and the Vulcan 900. Not sue if the Vulcan S is too small.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Marcus

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,163 Posts
If this is your first bike I would definitely buy used. Both bikes are popular and you can usually find good buys on late models in both of them.
Both of those bikes are really nice but you will soon find that as your skills grow, more than likely you will want an even larger bike.
Both the S and 900 are great starter bikes. It boils down to which one suits you best. Both are fairly easy to maneuver around town.
If you are going long distance and will do a lot of freeway riding both of these bikes will soon become too small for you.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
254 Posts
6’2”, 300lbs here. Vulcan 900 fits me great. I did recently add some highway pegs and stretching out my legs is awesome. Any answer you get to this question is going to be purely subjective though. One is sportier, one looks a bit more like your Classic cruiser. Good luck with your decision. Stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this is your first bike I would definitely buy used. Both bikes are popular and you can usually find good buys on late models in both of them.
Both of those bikes are really nice but you will soon find that as your skills grow, more than likely you will want an even larger bike.
Both the S and 900 are great starter bikes. It boils down to which one suits you best. Both are fairly easy to maneuver around town.
If you are going long distance and will do a lot of freeway riding both of these bikes will soon become too small for you.
Thank you. I plan to buy used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6’2”, 300lbs here. Vulcan 900 fits me great. I did recently add some highway pegs and stretching out my legs is awesome. Any answer you get to this question is going to be purely subjective though. One is sportier, one looks a bit more like your Classic cruiser. Good luck with your decision. Stay safe.
Thank you

·
Registered
79 Posts
Being your first bike i would buy used first and stay away from carbureted used bikes. Everyone loves to “ JET” the carbs and 80% don’t know what the hell there doing. Once you get a bike that fits you, google Ride Like A Pro and practice what he teaches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Number One Tip to New Riders is to get trained.

There is very little that transfers from driving a car to riding a bike. A prime example is steering.
If you try to steer a bike the way you steer a car, it WILL end badly.

In this video it appears that he is navigating the curves by shifting his weight. However, when he NEEDS the bike to go right, he tries to steer it by turning the front wheel right. This produces the opposite effect.

Learn countersteering.

He didn't countersteer

·
Premium Member
08 VN900C, 13 FLHX
43 Posts
Kind of torn on this and wish there were a 'neither, get something else' option.

There's a 120lb difference between the two but the most significant thing, I think is the seating position. 900s (my Custom at least) are forward-control. Learning to ride is easier (my opinion) with a neutral position - upright seating, foot controls roughly under your butt. If you've never ridden before, it can be easier to get a handle on how shifting your weight changes what the bike does when you're sitting in a neutral position on it.

My advice would be
1. You are not marrying your first bike. Embrace the fact that the bike you get right now is probably not going to be your favorite ride 18 months from now.
2. You might not actually know, at this time, what your favorite ride next year will be.
3. Don't worry too much about power/weight at this point (learning stage). Anything street legal will be enough to get you moving up to 45mph or so and this includes a Honda Monkey. Once you start riding in traffic, it'll be a while before you're comfortable getting on the highway anyhow.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to get a used fuel-injected middleweight bike with an upright position like a 2003+ SV650 or V-strom 650, Yamaha FZ07 or MT07, or similar. Something 500lb or so, adequate power for anything you'll need (and yes, they can keep up handily on the highway), and it can turn up its own ass in a parking lot. Learn low-speed maneuvering and turns with that. Maybe you'll replace it with a cruiser next year, or maybe you'll decide to get a 1250GS or Super Duke. Or maybe you'll decide riding isn't for you. Whatever you end up with, I think you'll be best served for the first year at least on a standard upright middleweight twin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never been on a motorcycle. I'm 6' 275lbs and I'm looking into purchasing my 1st bike. I have read so much on the Kawasaki Vulcan line but I'm a little torn between the Vulcan S and the Vulcan 900. Not sue if the Vulcan S is too small.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Marcus
Hi Marcus
I'm 6'1" and 275. I have a 2020 Vulcan S bought 11 months ago as my xmas gift to myself. This is my 4th bike, though my last one was traded in back in '97. I fit fine on it setup on middle range. Plenty of power, and a very nimble bike. I just use it for commuting to work and back in West Los Angeles traffic about 6 miles each way. Have not taken it for a cruise up the coast yet so I don't know how my butt will feel after a ride like that.
I haven't rode on the 900 yet. They didn't have it on kawasaki demo days a few weeks ago.
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts