Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So went out and tried again. The bike starts on PRI once again, but I only leave it for about 20 seconds before flicking it back to the ON position. After about 2-3 minutes of running the bike stalls and I’m back to step one. My friend says I might need a carburetor clean, or like you guys said it might be an issue with the vacuum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update. Messing around with the bike again tonight. Still, not by any means a mechanic or know too well what I’m doing but I took her apart tonight to the best of my ability to inspect the vacuum line. There doesn’t seem to be any visual issues with it (scratches, tears, etc) so I put it back together and tried the usual… PRI, right back to ON and she stalled within 2 minutes. I had the idea to try and run it on RES right after that though and so far the bike seems to be running okay. From my research, leaving it on RES isn’t a terrible thing. Would it be okay to run it in RES all the time and just manually monitor my gas levels?

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
the motor runs for 20 minutes on the gas that's already in the carb bowl, with the petcock not supplying any more gas to the bowl, the motor dies, it's like your car will stop running when the gas tank is empty

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
the motor stalled within 2 minutes because when you put it on PRI for a short time it didn't fill up the carb bowl enough, to fill up an empty carb bowl put it on PRI and count 25 seconds

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
if the motor runs on RES, leave the dial on RES, what you can do is keep track of when to fill the gas tank up again by the KM speedo distance, you could probably ride till the speedo reads 150km then search for a gas station, you could probably ride about 230km till the gas tank is empty

Reactions: Capta1nCr0ss

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
i normally start looking for a gas station at around the 125km range

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wait, first it runs for 20 minutes set to "on", then it only runs 2 minutes.
Which is it? A Bad vacuum would only allow the 2 minutes, not 20 minutes.
And yes you can run on "res" but when your out of gas your done.
You didnt say if it starts in "res" - !?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wait, first it runs for 20 minutes set to "on", then it only runs 2 minutes.
Which is it? A Bad vacuum would only allow the 2 minutes, not 20 minutes.
And yes you can run on "res" but when your out of gas your done.
You didnt say if it starts in "res" - !?
It was both, lol. I started it on PRI the other day, swapped it to ON and I rode it up and down the road for about 20 minutes without issue. Then the next day it was repeatedly stalling once I flicked it back over to ON after running for about two minutes. It’s been starting on RES and running on RES so far.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
You have a few choices depending how you ride.
1. Use the bike on PRI and just go with your trip for the next gas station. PRI will not give you a reserve setting. You will also have to turn it to the "on" when you stop so gas will stop flowing.

2. Buy and rebuild the current Vacuum petcock and hope that it never fails again. This way when you ride the vacuum petcock is doing its job, when the bike is off, no gas will flow. When the bike is running gas will flow.

3. Buy a non vacuum petcock that has a "off" setting and be happy. Just make sure that when you stop riding the bike, you turn the petcock to the off position. This is to make sure you don't leak gas all over the place of hydro lock the engine.

The OEM vacuum petcock does that for you when it works.

I remove all the vacuum petcocks on my carb bikes to a manual on and off type, just turn the gas on and off when needed. It becomes a reflex just like turning on the key to start the bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You have a few choices depending how you ride.
1. Use the bike on PRI and just go with your trip for the next gas station. PRI will not give you a reserve setting. You will also have to turn it to the "on" when you stop so gas will stop flowing.

2. Buy and rebuild the current Vacuum petcock and hope that it never fails again. This way when you ride the vacuum petcock is doing its job, when the bike is off, no gas will flow. When the bike is running gas will flow.

3. Buy a non vacuum petcock that has a "off" setting and be happy. Just make sure that when you stop riding the bike, you turn the petcock to the off position. This is to make sure you don't leak gas all over the place of hydro lock the engine.

The OEM vacuum petcock does that for you when it works.

I remove all the vacuum petcocks on my carb bikes to a manual on and off type, just turn the gas on and off when needed. It becomes a reflex just like turning on the key to start the bike.

Good luck.
The bike is continuing to start and run on RES. Is doing this all the time out of the question? From my understanding I can leave it on RES as long as I closely monitor my gas levels and refuel before I run into trouble and actually run out of gas on the road. Correct me if I’m wrong?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problem using RES all the time.

If you took the petcock out of the tank you will find that there are two entry points for fuel.

One is higher up (literally) and won't be able to pull the last 0.7 gallons of fuel (or something like that). That is the normal or ON pickup.

The lower entry point is where fuel flows when you have the petcock set to RES. It's just a simple mechanical valve.

There is nothing wrong with using RES all the time... If you want to fix your issue you can either rebuild your petcock or just buy a whole new assembly, which will give you a new screen filter as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Awesome! The bike seems to be running perfectly fine on RES, so i'll leave it for the time being and enjoy the odd day or two I get to ride since the roads are often terrible! Today was the first day it has been running smoothly and I was able to get out and practice on a few side streets! So much fun! I'll definitely look into rebuilding the petcock soon! As long as the bike runs and treats me well, i'll be treat it just as well and make sure it's well maintained! Thanks for the respondes everyone!

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
The bike is continuing to start and run on RES. Is doing this all the time out of the question? From my understanding I can leave it on RES as long as I closely monitor my gas levels and refuel before I run into trouble and actually run out of gas on the road. Correct me if I’m wrong?
ya run the whole the whole time on RES, no problem, just keep an eye on the speedo distance km and gas up before it gets to 200km, and don't forget to reset the speedo dial to zero again

·
Registered
600 Posts
disassemble the fuel tap and clean out the ports. You may also have a deteriorated or blocked fuel screen inside the tank.
I highly recommend removing the fuel tap and cleaning it.
Trying to keep your eye on the odometer for fuel level is a bad idea.

·
Registered
600 Posts
  • Maybe this is what I should have said..."Knowing your motorcycles mileage limit is important. However, constantly looking down at the odometer and doing math in your head distracts from the potential perils of MODERN motorcycling."
  • If you have the means available on your ride to monitor your fuel state, then why not utilize it.
  • My GSX-R600 doesn't have a fuel gauge. It does have a reserve light on it though. and when it comes on I know I have to stop for fuel within about 38 to 42 miles.
  • Back in the mid 80's I learned a harsh lesson about fuel mileage, distance between gas stations and fuel selector fuel taps about 5 miles east of Desert Center, California...in July. Motorcycle was a 1986 Honda VF500G Interceptor...with a reserve switching valve that was inadvertently kept in the reserve position at prior fill-up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts