Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just bought a 92 VF750 20k miles. Actually my friend did but I'm his mechanic so it makes more sense for me to post questions. Bought it from a guy who said he taught his wife how to ride on it. He had 2 Harleys worth about $20k each so it made sense to me. So far just went through the usual. Changed the oil which seemed new but very thin. It has a slight oil leak on the left side so no synthetic for this bike. Rotella triple T will work just fine. Pulled the oil screen out (nice feature) only had a few specs of metal in it. Changed the final drive oil which looked like it had never been changed. Pulled the 10 year old tires off (he had his wife on 10yo tires!?!) and put some Pirellis on. Couldn't find much for a radial so bias ply it is. And really? I have to take the muffler off to change the rear tire? Changed the spark plugs which was a mix of dpr8's and 7's. Plugs looked pretty good. Rear cylinder is a touch lean but I don't see where the pilot screws are. I don't have time to rebuild the carbs right now so its getting an Italian tune up with a can of seafoam. The guy we bought it from said it needed that valves adjusted. I'm thinking these are hydraulic lifters and it sounds more like cam chain slap to me. Not bad and I'm starting to lean towards that this is just the way the bike sounds. I see 2 chain adjusters that look like the automatic kind. 1 adjuster for 2 chains? If its DOHC then thats 2 cam chains per cylinder. A little bit of drag on the front brakes but I don't have time right now to rebuild them either so I just crunched the piston in and pushed it out a bunch of times and that helped. I took the bike on a 20 mile test ride and its not bad. Reasonable power, handling, comfort. I grew up on dirt bikes so I don't really like forward controls but it wasn't bad. Either way it fits my friends style of riding perfectly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also on vn750.com there are a couple of threads on how to make your own

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd rather not go down the manual adjusters route. The guy that will be riding it would not notice anything wrong until its too late. His last bike had a slight oil leak and he ended up blowing the motor because he never checked the oil and was riding around with around 1qt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I right that there is only 1 adjuster on each cylinder or am I not seeing the other 1? I'm just not picturing how they could make 1 adjuster for 2 chains work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still not seeing those pilot screws. Its pretty crowded in there but its not in the usual places I would look. I have a pdf manual but its not searchable and I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I can try to take a photo of the pilot screws this evening.

It definitely only has one tensioner per cylinder. Not sure on the details of how the mechanism works internally, but definitely two chains per cylinder and one tensioner. The automatic units are a known and consistent failure item. TOC does sell a heavier duty spring for them, but the feedback on the forums for those has not been positive. The manual units are incredibly simple and effective. Even if your friend only checked it once every year or so, it would be a better alternative than the stock automatic version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really, the stock tensions are that bad. I'll probably try the grambo trick 1st since his bike funds are low since his old bike is now sitting in my shed after he put a bunch of money in it to get it right. I even did a paint job on it and I HATE painting. The last bike I had a cam chain issue with made such a racket it would be hard for a novice not to notice. If I can get it fixed right and show him what its supposed to sound like I would think your average person would be able to hear the difference. If I can't get the stock going we'll go manual. As long as its not the actual cam chains stretched too far. I've replaced cam chains on SOHC but on a DOHC I'd be nervous about the timing being right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One adjuster per cylinder. The air adjust screws (pilot)are capped off at the factory.need a small punch or nail to put a hole in the plug and pull them out.where is the oil leak on the left cylinder?could be the o-ring for the spark plug well

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd really recommend posting on vn750.com as this site mostly caters to the other Vulcan models.if you join over there,I'd recommend an introduction in the newbie section as your first post

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
+1 on that. Both ODD and I are active over there, plus quite a few other people. Lots of archived information to look at and far more activity specifically about the 750.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright then, I'll see you over there. I didn't realize there was that big a difference between models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts