Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Glad to be here. Just bought a used Vulcan S off Craigslist, brought it home only to find the engine light is on. I downloaded service manual and have been trying to figure out what’s going on. According to the manual, to check a code, you do so with the ignition on. But the light is not on with ignition. It only comes on when bike is running. And the code I’m getting is 67. (1) I’m no try sure if this code is correct because no where in manual does it say the code should be checked with bike running. Only when in on position. Does anyone have any on-site for me? I hate to bring it to dealer and spend $119 for a diagnostic if it’s something easy.
(2) how do I know if I have a program module on the bike?

thanks in advance for your help.

47173ABB-0E50-433A-B469-BE3D0AAA876A.jpeg

here’s the bike. She’s got a few mods, Corbin seat, led headlight, low-pro tail light, Denali fog lights, wind shield and also came with a TRB exhaust!

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride. Nice looking bike. Check engine lights usually have something to do with the emission system. Since the exhaust has been modified, is the oxygen sensor still present? I ask because 67 is the oxygen sensor heater malfunction service code. Here is a thread on service codes. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
376 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania and congratulations on the new bike! Looks great! Hope you can sort everything out, unless the sensor is disconnected for some reason it is not too uncommon for them to fail as a few other members already had to replace theres. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input. I downloaded the service manual and I’m a little confused on a few things, and the last owner didn’t know much about the mods made to bike. So I decided I’m dropping the bike off at the local dealer to check it out. I’ll feel better having them give it a health check, tell me what mods were made and what I need to fix/adjust/maintain/etc. I’ll let you know what I found out. Thanks again for the warm welcome. Andrew from Connecticut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. I wanted to post a couple pics of under my seat to you. I have a plug that looks like it should be connected!? Not sure if this could be my O2 sensor? If the o2 is disconnected. Do you think I have a tuner? Again I got the Two Brothers exhaust with the bike, which was installed before.
3CAB9749-CA10-4FA5-BABC-A825656B1BA4.jpeg
2E6BD541-F38F-4B74-9CD7-2A43CE526A43.jpeg
3D275DA7-708C-4B1E-BC8D-CE2D40CCF6AC.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
Hi Andrew. Most of the bikes have accessory connectors under the seat and in the headlight. Would need to look at a wiring diagram to determine if these wires are those. They are power on all the time so check the blue/white wire for power. The other wire is black/yellow which is usually ground wires on the Kawasakis. Did you look over your exhaust and see if there is an oxygen sensor in the system? Is so, check the color of the wiring connected to it. I would check the wiring diagram for you, but unfortunately www.Manualslib.com doesn’t show one for the S. Hopefully another member here who has a repair manual will check and post their findings. Do not arbitrarily connect wiring that you are unsure of because can do damage to other electronic components. Connecticut has some nice riding areas. Lived on Long Istand and every weekend would take the Port Jefferson or the Orient Point Ferry and tour New England. Hope this information helps. Be well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tourer is correct, accessory wires to plug into. The O2 sensor connector is often under the tank out of simple reach and would be 4 wires with normal plastic connector not separate wires and bullet connectors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, just wanted to update ya on my progress. I decided to finally trace the 02 sensor wire back and see if I could see anything blatantly wrong and what do ya know? I found the whole plug disconnected!!!! Plugged it back in and bye-bye check engine light!!! Thanks for all the he input and help anyways. I learned a lot. Downloaded the Service Manual, which I am unsure how you guys feel about sharing the digital file for it, but I can share it with others if allowed. Anyways, I read half the manual and learned a lot so after owning the bike 10 days, I have a much better grasp on it. I ordered some oil and an oil filter for it and plan on doing an oil change. Bike has 6,750 miles on it, I have no service records, wha else do you recommend I service on it while I am tinkering this winter?

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
Glad to see you found your issue. Do you have a torque wrench to properly tighten the oil filter and drain plug? If not, a trip to Harbor Freight. Due to the age of the bike regardless of mileage, change the coolant, brake fluid, check and adjust belt tension, and check everything you can get a wrench on for tightness. Also, check the tires. Are they the originals. You can tell tire age from the 4 digit DOT number embossed into the sidewall. The first two digits are the week and the second two are the year of manufacture. Opinions differ on the forum that tires should be replace at the 5 year mark regardless of condition or thread depth. Tire manufacturers recommend replacing at the 5 year mark. I always felt that we spend so much money on our bikes for performance upgrades, accessories, and chrome, that a few hundred for new tires is a no brainer. Also, you need a 15lb belt tension adjustment gauge. They can be bought inline for $15 to $20. The drive belt cannot be fully adjusted properly without one. When you go to Harbor Freight, bring your oil filter and get a cup tool for removal and installation. A metal one will work better and not skip when trying to remove a tight filter. Good luck and post back if anything is unclear and you have a question. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny, I have about $20k in Snap-On tools and tool boxes, and a torque wrench is on my “wish list” but I can almost buy a new motorcycle for what they want for that thing!! Harbor Freight is the answer.
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate you taking the time with me, I’m sure every noob asks the same questions, and I’m sure if I looked I could e found all the info, but I also have 4 young kids and own a very busy sign and graphics company that keep me busy every second! Facebook.com/computerSIGNS

I have been finding some great info on the site and everyone, from all over the world is really cool to see! What a great resource. I am a member of a bunch of forums but none as diverse as this. Super cool.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You have 20k in snap on tools so that means you have a few socket sets, ratchets, and wrenches? :ROFLMAO: being a mechanic for about 20 years now I am glad I stopped counting the dollars spent through the years and am just thankful that I currently have it all paid off.....until the next cool thing comes along!!! Glad you found the issue and it was simple and free to fix!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, you need a 15lb belt tension adjustment gauge. They can be bought inline for $15 to $20. The drive belt cannot be fully adjusted properly without one.
Ummm, the 650 is a chain...

As for the accessory plugs mentioned, pretty sure you need the accessory relay installed for them to power up. If you test them with a multimeter and they're dead, then that is why. I know for sure this is the case for the accessory power behind the headlight, pretty sure it's the same for the under seat power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome from Northern California and I'm new here also and your post is what got me to join as all the quick help that was provided made me know this is the forum for me. Enjoy the ride

1 - 14 of 14 Posts