Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've had my bike for just about a year, and recently, my shifter seems to now want to downshift occasionally. It is not consistent, but when it does happen, I have been riding for about an hour and when I am getting off the highway/freeway and I go to downshift, the first click goes (shift down from 6 to 5) but then the peddle doesn't seem to come back up and I can't get it to shift anymore without fiddling with it. Shift back up to 6 and then try again and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Eventually I get it to shift all the way down. I've now had this happen 4 times so I was looking to see if anyone could give any ideas what might be happening. I am new to motorcycles (only been riding about 1.5 years) and am super novice when it comes to the mechanics of them. So far I have been unable to find anything online about something like this happening.

I am also looking to add larger saddlebags to the bike than what it currently has.The person I bought the bike from included some viking bags they had installed, and while they look nice and lock, they are a little small for my normal use. I would ideally like something that would hold the backpack I carry with me and lock, but at least something that I can fit my work laptop in a case into. My backpack is a 29L for size reference.

Nice to meet everyone and thank you for any assistance that anyone can provide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately, I cant help. But I've found my posts on this forum to go mostly unanswered. I've had a lot more luck on reddit or r/motorcycles. They might be able to help you with your issue.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
As for the shifting issue, there was a tech service bulletin about the shift return spring needing replaced with a stronger one. It doesn't effect every S model, but others here have had to have it done. It would be worth contacting a dealership over as it sounds like it's an issue on your bike.

As for the bags, both SHAD and GIVI make very large hard bags for the S, though personally I think the bigger bags look out of proportion on the bike. I've got the smaller SHAD bags and while I don't think they could hold your backpack, they should work for the laptop case, and I think they look damn good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone!

I've had my bike for just about a year, and recently, my shifter seems to now want to downshift occasionally. It is not consistent, but when it does happen, I have been riding for about an hour and when I am getting off the highway/freeway and I go to downshift, the first click goes (shift down from 6 to 5) but then the peddle doesn't seem to come back up and I can't get it to shift anymore without fiddling with it. Shift back up to 6 and then try again and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Eventually I get it to shift all the way down. I've now had this happen 4 times so I was looking to see if anyone could give any ideas what might be happening. I am new to motorcycles (only been riding about 1.5 years) and am super novice when it comes to the mechanics of them.
Hey there. Im new to bikes overall and have been riding the S650 for 2 months but have experienced something similar.

I find it happens most often when i come to a full stop while holding the clutch and still in high gear, so when i try to downshift it does one gear but then goes all "squishy" and wont budge further. If i downshift gradually as i reduce speed (as im supposed to) it doesnt really happen. When that does happen, releasing the clutch by just a few milimeters and then re-gripping it between each shift seemd to work. Seems the built in gear-finder on this gearbox has issues working sequentally if the bike is not rolling and the drivetrain turning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the shifting issue, there was a tech service bulletin about the shift return spring needing replaced with a stronger one. It doesn't effect every S model, but others here have had to have it done. It would be worth contacting a dealership over as it sounds like it's an issue on your bike.

As for the bags, both SHAD and GIVI make very large hard bags for the S, though personally I think the bigger bags look out of proportion on the bike. I've got the smaller SHAD bags and while I don't think they could hold your backpack, they should work for the laptop case, and I think they look damn good.
Thank you for this information. I bought my bike private party, so I will have to see if I can find a dealer in my area (or in Phoenix as I am down there often). Hopefully, even if it is something I have to pay for it corrects the issues.

I will take a look at both of those bags. I've seen some GIVI ones online and they looked decent to me, but I don't think I ever saw one on a bike. I'll take a look at the SHAD ones as well.

Hey there. Im new to bikes overall and have been riding the S650 for 2 months but have experienced something similar.

I find it happens most often when i come to a full stop while holding the clutch and still in high gear, so when i try to downshift it does one gear but then goes all "squishy" and wont budge further. If i downshift gradually as i reduce speed (as im supposed to) it doesnt really happen. When that does happen, releasing the clutch by just a few milimeters and then re-gripping it between each shift seemd to work. Seems the built in gear-finder on this gearbox has issues working sequentally if the bike is not rolling and the drivetrain turning.
I will try this out next time I ride. The scenario you describe is when it happened to me as well. In the morning I get lazy when coming off the freeway and just try to downshift directly. Maybe KeepRidin post will help you as well if that is the issue.

Thanks yo both of you for the information.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Some times at a full stop when the shifter doesn't want to work, I let the clutch out a little into the friction zone to move the gears a bit, usually helps. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts