Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. new to the forum here and also new to motorcycles. i got the vn750 october 09 and rode a few times before the winter. i want to get her back out but i have some questions that nobody near me wants to answer. i took her up on the express way and at 70 mph she was turning 5000-5200 rpms. is that normal? i was definitley in high gear,and the cluth tension was good. should the bike be turning that many rpms for a long expressway ride? also, ive noticed some oil leakage on the forks, and i think the seals might be bad. is that hard stuff to fix on my own? please help!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Smaller engines tend to turn higher RPM at a given road speed. 5000 or so rpm is not out of line with what I would expect for a 750 cc engine. My 900 turns about 4400 at 70 mph.

Fork seals are not that hard to change. The forks need to be removed from the triple clamps, wheel, brakes removed, etc. But the forks don't need to be taken apart to replace the seals.

You might want to get a service manual - try

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/gensym-1.html

or Bike Bandit, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ray,
i belive my vulcan is a 94. it may be a 95? either way, i guess they are all the same. i do have a book, thats the first thing i got. the kawasaki dealer got me for 80 bucks for the book. ive seen some really nice looking vulcans with big fenders, fog lights, hard saddle bags ect... but not sure what to do with mine yet. i know i definitley want an original look...but dont want to break the bank on a 15 year old bike.
as for the seals, the dealer said like 350 to change them, but i was pondering doing it myself or with a friend. i know ive lost some oil, so i probably have to refill, but im just not sure where to begin. i just dont want to mess up the allignment.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Welcome Vulcan750. You really got taken at the Stealership for that manual. Less then $30.00 for a good Clymer. If your at all mechanical, do your own work. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with Reddyford

Wow 80 clams:eek: If and when I do my own work on my Vn750. I will always come here first. No one here trying to make a buck. My best friend and tool is my HP Mini 110 laptop w/ wireless Verizon set up for anywhere I am. Very easy to carry on my bike. Remember, dealers will always tell you what they want you to hear. The less you know the more $$$$ they see:( Just walk away. go online line and come here. Straight talk, no bull, just real world answers to real world problems from real people and their sweet hearts........the VN750.
Thank you
Ray [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts