Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2006 I drove a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It was stolen in 2008. I've recently fallen in love with a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic, burgundy.

The dealer was asking approx ~$7500 after "fees" for it. I countered with $5500, and they went down to $6400 out the door.

I'm wondering if an offer of $5800 cash will be laughed at, or if I might be able to get out of the shop with a bike, and at least a helmet (would like a jacket too). I can't really afford more than $6000, but I figured if I can bring in a nice roll of cash I might be able to get away with $5800.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
In 2006 I drove a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It was stolen in 2008. I've recently fallen in love with a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic, burgundy.

The dealer was asking approx ~$7500 after "fees" for it. I countered with $5500, and they went down to $6400 out the door.

I'm wondering if an offer of $5800 cash will be laughed at, or if I might be able to get out of the shop with a bike, and at least a helmet (would like a jacket too). I can't really afford more than $6000, but I figured if I can bring in a nice roll of cash I might be able to get away with $5800.

What do you think?
I bought my 2009 900 Classic "New" in March for a bit less out the door than the $6400 price they quoted you. Could depend on the area...but I think you could do better than $6400. I could be wrong...

Rod

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my 2009 900 Classic "New" in March for a bit less out the door than the $6400 price they quoted you. Could depend on the area...but I think you could do better than $6400. I could be wrong...

Rod
I'm in Lubbock, Tx. They've only got two '09s left, so I'm hoping they'll take my wad of cash.

Did you get anything extra with the bike at your price?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I'm in Lubbock, Tx. They've only got two '09s left, so I'm hoping they'll take my wad of cash.

No...I got it for $6200 if I remember right.
Oh, that was the saddlebag time, so I got the saddlebags thrown in...

Rod

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd stick with your original offer. They'll take a hit on their margin to get the bike out the door if they really want to move it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

Money talks ... offer them 6g's. Price reductions are factory based. The deal has to be a win win situation.

Margins are already minimal at best. Shops make more on the sale of used bikes than they do on new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2008 Blue/Silver 900 Classic LT w/4,400 miles today for $4,600 plus Sales Tax and DMV. Bike has all the factory stuff plus highway bars, manual cruise control, Kuryakwn passenger floorboards and extended warranty to 2014.

Compared to what I have been seeing advertised, it seems like a decent deal?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone with better information can ship in, my understanding is that Kawa has a dealer holdback of about 3 to 5% of the bike dealer cost. Basically, Kawasaki issues a check to the dealer after they sell the bike in the corresponding amount. There is no rebate for the 09 900's, but there is a rebate of $500 for the 10 and 11 900's. MSRP is $8300 approximately. So dealer cost may be somewhere in the $6300 to $7000. There is a charge for assembly, or something in that line in the amount of $300+/- which I've never been able to shake off. So if you got a real out the door of $6400, it is not a bad deal already. I dont think cash means a thing at this point on the sale process, since the dealer can go so far below cost. Yes they can go below cost on vehicles that are older, cause they are depreciated on their financial inventory books. so they write off the difference.. :D The down side for you is that as soon as you sign that piece of paper saying you bought it, you own a two year + old 900's with an average retail of approximately $5675... based on NADA. So my recommendation is if you have cash, go get an used low millage one instead. I only have bought new my Voyager, only because I was financing and got a 1.95% rate on my loan. Under any other circumstance I would have bought a low millage used. Sorry for been so winded, but been in your position many times, and sometimes the heart interferes with wise decisions. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Not bad really. My buddy sold his 06 LT with 25k to the dealer and they gave him $3,500 cash for it. I think they were asking $6k+ in the end, most dealers have a much steeper margin for used bikes than they do for new, meaning that there is a lot more room to go down if you ask!

So anyway, you paid $1,000 more than he GOT wholesale from the dealer (Meaning he would have gotten more if he had sold it outright himself, he just didn't wanna deal with it and took it to the dealer and said 'here you go It's been fun'), for a bike that is 2 years newer with substantially less miles. Seems like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My wife got my '09 900 through a private sale for $5300. The bike had 2800 miles on it and over $1000 in upgrades (seat, bags, exhaust, highway bars, floor boards). However we paid almost the same for her '09 Rebel 250 from a dealer with 300 miles. If you can find the bike privately you could probably save a bit more than going through a dealer.

Either way, as long as you get the bike you want and are happy with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go gently used... you will have no problem aquiring a very low miles 900 that has already been loaded up with hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of add-ons.

The 900 is a super popular first cruiser for most riders... but few stay with them long before trading up to a big v-twin. I bought my 08 Classic in Dec. 2010 for $4200 o.t.d. and it had just over $1500 in add-ons. It was a great bike but I kept it less than 6 months before I just had to have more cc's. I ride a 1600 Nomad now.

The point is that because so many riders trade out of them fast, there is a glut of gently used 900s that haven't even reached break-in miles yet and the dealers that take them in trade have to get rid of them for less than the price of new old stock regardless of all the upgrades the first owner invested in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my area - Northern/Central VA. The dealers don't budge with the price on new bikes.

3 stories.
Yamaha Dealer
A buddy was buying 2 Kodiak 600 ATV's brand new CASH!!.. well check but you get my point... he tried haggling with the guy because he was buying 2 of them and the Dealer put the pen down while filling out the paper work and said "You don't have to buy them, I can tear this up and you can go try and find them somewhere else. These are in such demand right now that I'll probably sell both of them by the weekend". Ended that discussion real fast. my buddy bought both!!

Kawasaki Dealer
I bought my 06 anniversary 1500... no budge on the price, knowing the last story in my head I didnt' really try and push it, but I got a free helmet out of them and a discount on a 2nd helmet

Harley Dealer
Guy I work with was buying a Road King and was trying to get 1k off the price. They weren't moving too much on the price, he negotiated 1k gift card from them. They said that he needed to spend it in their dealership but once you get out of the lot it doesn't matter!! He did use it there to keep good relations.

Long winded but the moral here is, I think you're better off trying to get the extras from them then you are getting the price knocked down.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought my 08 custom for $5000. Has 2200 miles, Cobra pipes, fuel commander and hyper charger. Hope that gives you a comparison basis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
In my area - Northern/Central VA. The dealers don't budge with the price on new bikes.

3 stories.
Yamaha Dealer
A buddy was buying 2 Kodiak 600 ATV's brand new CASH!!.. well check but you get my point... he tried haggling with the guy because he was buying 2 of them and the Dealer put the pen down while filling out the paper work and said "You don't have to buy them, I can tear this up and you can go try and find them somewhere else. These are in such demand right now that I'll probably sell both of them by the weekend". Ended that discussion real fast. my buddy bought both!!

Kawasaki Dealer
I bought my 06 anniversary 1500... no budge on the price, knowing the last story in my head I didnt' really try and push it, but I got a free helmet out of them and a discount on a 2nd helmet

Harley Dealer
Guy I work with was buying a Road King and was trying to get 1k off the price. They weren't moving too much on the price, he negotiated 1k gift card from them. They said that he needed to spend it in their dealership but once you get out of the lot it doesn't matter!! He did use it there to keep good relations.

Long winded but the moral here is, I think you're better off trying to get the extras from them then you are getting the price knocked down.

Hope this helps
Absolutely. You can't always get the price down, but do some research and figure out what accessories you'd probably end up buying anyway, and see if the dealer will throw that in along with a gift card or something. At one point I was looking for a sportster for my fiancee (decided against it, too top heavy for a short beginner rider). The Harley dealer wouldn't budge on the price but they would lower it, throw in bags, a windshield, and swap the seat out with a low-rider solo seat and a fender mounted luggage rack. Had that offer on paper and everything. Worked out to be about a thousand bucks in accessories on an $8,000 bike. Truth is they have a hefty markup on accessories, but not on the bikes (kind of like a gas station, the money is made on the conveniences not the gas). So that $1,000 worth of accessories equated to much less actual off-the-top cash for the dealer, but a good amount of value for me (if I did end up buying the sportster, I would've bought all those accessories anyway).

So anyway, that's a sound suggestion. My dealer knocked two grand off the asking price for my 900 when I bought it, but their asking price was a little high. Other dealers, even in this area, seem to have the attitude of "Put the lowest price on the sticker, and make that price the price, period".

You'll get better deals on used, over new by the way. Used bikes actually have much more of a margin. My old neighbor sold his 900LT back to the dealer when he decided to give up riding (in his 80's, guess it was time). They gave him $2,900. They put $5,500 on the sticker. Compare that to a brand new bike which might only be a few hundred bucks between their invoiced price, and the sticker price. Combine that with labor to assemble it, and all the various overhead costs for having it on the floor, they really aren't making much on the new bikes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On the other hand, I got a much worse deal than most of these guys, paid $5,500 for a 2007 with 5k miles on it, all I got tossed in was a helmet. I didn't know until I got on this forum what a "lousy deal" I got.
And I absolutely love my Vulcan 900, and every time I leave the driveway I don't spend one minute regretting the deal I struck.
Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts