Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my 2002 VN750 with 14000 miles started making some valve lifter noise in the rear cylinder.. I changed the oil and filter and the noise almost went away. Now the other day the engine backfired the noise came back and my gas mileage dropped from 120 miles per tankful to 90. I did the Grambo trick, to check ACCT, that I found online to no avail. I checked the compression and it is OK. Now I'm wondering what to do next. Is there a way to check to make sure oil is getting valve lifters and rocker arms? The noise is really pretty loud and I hate to ride it anymore with fear of really ruining something.

Please Help? :)

Stormy715

·
Registered
23 Posts
A bad cam chain tensioner can cause a ticking sound much like a valve lifter. Try turning that screw on the cam chain tensioner counterclockwise with the engine running, or to be safer, turn it clockwise all the way with the engine off, then let it snap back, and turn it a little more counterclockwise if it will go. Then start the engine and check for noise. An exhaust leak is also a possible cause of such a noise. And if you still have the air injection system on it, that 3 way valve under the seat will also cause a similar noise, especially on deceleration. It will also cause backfiring. None of that explains the loss of mpg. The only way to get to the valve lifters, commonly called an HLA, is to remove the engine from the bike, and remove the valve covers. Even then it's hard to tell if anything is wrong. If you decide to tear into the engine, here is a set of very helpful videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYBtjGF-ZhU&list=PL2B3AF598BF7862DA

BTW, I also have an '02, and my cam chain tensioners started to fail at around 15,000 miles. I replaced them with a set of TOC manual tensioners, and have had no more problems. I am now at 92,000 miles, have the engine out to replace the stator.

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, trying to avoid pulling engine. Tried the tensioner thing but it made not difference. I drained the oil to see if there was any filings or anything in the screen. Clean as a whistle. Put the oil back in and found that for some reason I had about 6 oz. more oil in it than suppose to have. Started engine and noise was gone. Too much oil making lifters not work properly, I guess. Seems to run OK. Won't know on gas milege until I ride it for a while.

Thanks again,
Stormy715

1 - 3 of 3 Posts