Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall its been along time since I posted on here but I am soon to be in the market for new tires and have settled on either the avon or metzler. I am looking for pro's and con;s on both. Thank you for your input everyone on here has been very helpfull in the past.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm running an Avon Venom 200 on my Custom. It's taller than the Metzler and required some trimming of the fender inner splash shield with a 2" drop kit installed. 6k miles so far and I'd buy another one. The tire seems happy at 38-40# of pressure. I only ride solo, 168#.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I replaced the OEM Dunlop on mine with the Metzeler 880; much better ride at right around 40 pounds. Handles better in the corners and is more plush, even at a slightly higher pressure. Much more forgiving of tar seams in the road, too. Riding solo, 230#.

·
Registered
369 Posts
06 vulcan classic 900lt

i changed the back tire from the stock dunlop that was on it to a metzler tire. i had to change it right around 10000 miles, so far i have 5500 miles on the metzler and it seems to be doing ok. i really cant tell a diff in performance from the 2. ive heard that the metzler last longer then the dunlop but wont be able to tell you that until i reach 10000 miles. you manuel calls for a change into the dunlop tire, and not to get anything else. i didnt know that until after i got the metzler. the next time i get a back tire its going to be a dunlop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
General Altimax HP 195/65R16.....yeah it's a car tire......it'll last 20,000 miles though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, I'm using Metzlers right now, just bought a new one for the front from Jafrum.com, great price, fast and free delivery. But I am also thinking of switching to a car tire in the rear like Aaron did. I'm going to wait and see how long the Metzler lasts before I do that though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i run the metzeler 880 with a rear size upgrade yeah a little pricey but i have about 8000 miles on them and there is at least another 3000 left if i behave myself. the lady and i very often take 2to300 mile trips total rider and luggage weight is around 350.on a long trip weight is around 500lbs with all our long trip stuff. run 36psi cold in the front and 38psi cold in the rear.i will definetly purchase another set.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I changed out the stock Dunlops at 10,000 for the Metzeler 880's. I have 11,000 on the Metzeler's and it looks like I can get another couple thousand out of them. As for ride or handling differences, nothing noticeable for me. I probably do not ride hard enough to notice a difference, just cruise.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ditto to the good reviews on the Metzler 880. I have only had to replace the rear one at this point, but I notice a slightly better ride. Can't say how long they last yet, but so far so good. I know that changing the pressure up to about 38psi should help. I kinda wonder how long the Dunlops would have lasted at 38psi, but not enough to buy another one. The Metzler is definitely a better tire.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Both the Avon and Metzler are great tires. If you ride somewhat hard like me then you'll see some difference in performance. This tires will stick better and if wet they will defenetly have a better traction over the stock Dunlops.

I have the VN900C just like you and this is what I did.
I replaced the front tire with a 90/90/21 Metzler. The reason why is because I initially wanted the Avon but they are bigger tires so the 90/90/21 does not fit unles you modify the fender frame. The 90/90/21 Metzler fills the fender very nice and looks great without any mods needed. Now the rear tire I replaced with a Avon Venom 200 with no modifications needed unless your bike has been lowered. The Avon been a bit larger than the Metzler 200 it fills the fender a bit more and handles great. If you're the type of person that sticks to brands then the 90/90/21 & Metzler 200/70/15 will fit perfect but if you like the Avons better then you can get the 80/90/21 and the 200/70/15. If you want the best of both worlds then do what I did. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also switched to the Metzeler ME 880's and bought the same size as it was stock. I bought them from Motorcycle Superstore. I mainly was interested in the increased mileage expected from these tires but was pleasantly surprised at how well they handle seams in the pavement. They now have about 10,500 miles on them and they handle some questionable roadways pretty comfortably and take a good beating. I probably shouldn't be taking my Vulcan on dirt roads but sometimes I just don't wanna quit. My guess is I'll be shopping for new tires around 15,000 miles which should be early July, I'll report the actual mileage when the swap is made.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm still a long way away from needing new rubber on the 900, but I will say that on my previous Vn750 I changed to Metzler's at around 18k, and they lasted me until 46k. That's 28k miles on the ME880's so they do seem to last.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'll be due for tires sometime this season, and I'll probably go with Metzelers. I just wish they had something a little wider in a whitewall (170/80 is the closest they come to our stock size).

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah no kidding. The whitewall would look sweeet on our classics. They don't do a 200 either do they? Avon does the whitewall though. I just had good luck with the past two sets of Metzelers I don't want to switch.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The dealer here didn't recommend going down a size in the rear.
Thats funny cuz the dealer I bought the bike from used. Gave me a free rear tire cuz the stocker was pretty much bald with 11.5k miles on it. But the only one he would give me was a 170, not a 180.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts