Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my new tires for my 2013 custom. Avon Venoms. The front is the same size as the original and the rear is a 200. Only 2400 km on the original tires. I kinda want to put the new ones on but i guess the economical thing to do is to continue to use the ones that are on there until they wear out and replace them with the Venoms. I guess I'm just looking for a little push to put the new ones on. Anyone with thoughts or arguements on why I should or should not put the new ones on now?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey man if you already won BOTM your ride must be pretty sweet as is. Honestly, I like the stock tires so far. I live on very nicely paved, curvy backroads and I ride this thing like a sportbike driving it into corners, trail braking and such. All safe and within my limits. Stock tires do everything I need them to, and they look good IMO. Not sure what that 200 is going to do for your handling, but its really all just money. If you got the dough, then YOLO.

I can personally attest to the fact that the stock tires are better than the stock suspension. What I am saying is, the limiting factor keeping me from riding the bike harder is the suspension. Better rubber doesn't make suspension better so you will gain zero performance IMO. So my vote is wear out the stockers unless you have had some suspension work.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt that is the smart thing to do

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
loved having the 200 on the back

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
and YES, wear your first set out... won 't take long.. the front seemed to cup quickly I replaced both front and rear at the same time I think around 8K miles

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had the same tires on mine. Looked great, but only got around 9000 miles on them. Metzler marathons on now.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say put on the new ones. You won't be able to think straight until you do. Sell the old ones in the meantime.
LOL, Yeah that's what I want to do. Hard to see something sitting in your garage, brand new, just waiting to be put on

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just get out and ride your bike, those stock tires will be toast at 4-5K miles. See if you can wear them out the end end of June or sooner!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have rode her hard since day one, curious to see how long my stockers will last. Pump them up to 40 every couple rides. Not sure if that's going to help. Anybody know if those metzeler white wall's are actually wider than stock or do they just say wide white wall???

·
Registered
357 Posts
and YES, wear your first set out... won 't take long.. the front seemed to cup quickly I replaced both front and rear at the same time I think around 8K miles
my rear is starting to bald (7800 miles) and the front is cupped a little (feels like the steel belt got dented). I'm going 230 rear and trying to decide on the front

I have rode her hard since day one, curious to see how long my stockers will last. Pump them up to 40 every couple rides. Not sure if that's going to help. Anybody know if those metzeler white wall's are actually wider than stock or do they just say wide white wall???
Front I put at 41 and rear at 33, rear at 40 would be rough

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just get out and ride your bike, those stock tires will be toast at 4-5K miles. See if you can wear them out the end end of June or sooner!!
I'd love to be out riding. The end of the winter has been brutal up this way. We got totally hammered with snow. Things are on a constant melt now and I managed a 30 minute drive last week but it will still be 2 weeks or more before I start driving with any regularity. I think I will run these tires till mid summer and then change them out. Kills me to look at them sitting in the garage, just wanting to be installed.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
my rear is starting to bald (7800 miles) and the front is cupped a little (feels like the steel belt got dented). I'm going 230 rear and trying to decide on the front

Front I put at 41 and rear at 33, rear at 40 would be rough
the 230 tire from avon.. looks sick!! I went with the 200.. and it too looked awesome!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts