Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic. The Dunlops are bald so I purchased Shinko 230 Tour Masters for the front and rear. The Dunlops say Tube Tire and I purchased tubeless tires. A friend said to throw the tubes in the new tires and a shop also told me that you need to use a tube always on a spoked wheel. Is this true? Do I need to use the tubes? Also if so should I re-use my current tubes if they look ok or just buy new ones? And suggestions or feedback on Shinko tires on your Vulcan Classics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unless you have sealed the spokes you MUST have a tube. It is best to replace the tube and liner when you change the tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I re-use the tube if it looks good! My tubes have ride-on in them, so I like to re-use them.
How do you like the ride-on?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I re-use the tube if it looks good! My tubes have ride-on in them, so I like to re-use them.
+1 Reused mine as well with Ride-On installed.

How do you like the ride-on?
So far, really like the balancing aspect, no weights. Hope I don't have to test the sealing capabilities, but like the fact it's peace of mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I already purchased the ride-on but did not install it yet since I am planning on getting new tires and am not sure if I will use the old tubes or get new ones. I look forward to checking it out once I make that decision. Thanks for the input! Hope you are enjoying Memorial Day!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Maybe I am confused as to why Ride-on is used in a tube tire. After looking up the product, isn't it for use with tubeless tires?
It can be used with tubeless but could be less effective since punctures may cause the tube to tear a bit. Still a nice but of insurance if you road trip on your spoke wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Their web-site states it does work in tubes, but on smaller punchers (1/8") vs. 1/4" on tubeless. So, installing in a tube should be fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
At my first tire change (at 8000 miles) I bought new tires and the tubes to go with them. When I took them in for installation, the mechanic determined that because my bike was still so new at the time, the orig tubes were in good enough shape that they simply re-used those factory tubes.

Well, now another 27k miles later, bike is back in right now for it's 2nd set of new tires. I still had those new tubes in their boxes from last time, so I took those in too yesterday. Hope to get it all back by this weekend. Another brand new set of Metz 880s. Can't wait! Old ones were pretty shot but I feel I got my $$ worth out of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tube question

Alright my tires arrived today and they look great. Now I have one more question. When I bought my new tubes the guy sold me a Bridgestone tube for a 170/80-15 tire. I am replacing the stock 180/70-15 tire. Will this 170 tube work in the 180 tire. He said he doesn't stock a 180 and that it would be fine but I want some other opinions as well. For all I know he was just making the sale. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Alright my tires arrived today and they look great. Now I have one more question. When I bought my new tubes the guy sold me a Bridgestone tube for a 170/80-15 tire. I am replacing the stock 180/70-15 tire. Will this 170 tube work in the 180 tire. He said he doesn't stock a 180 and that it would be fine but I want some other opinions as well. For all I know he was just making the sale. What do you all think?
I ask the same question to the local tire shop that replaced my rear tire (went from a stock 180/70 to 200/70) and he told me the tube has a range and it was fine for the new tire. Hopefully, some of our local experts will chime in and confirm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow, you got 19k out of your Metzler tires? That's great mileage.
Actually that was a bit over 27k, but they were pretty shot when I finally got around to taking it in. I wouldn't try and get that much out of this next set again because there was actually (at least) one spot on the rear where the threads were just starting to show through. :eek: Once I noticed that, I didn't ride again until it was time to ride it... slowly on side streets... into the shop. The front still had some tread left, but it was also getting a little cupping so not smooth anymore.

I saw where Metz now has a new line out this year, the ME888 which is an even higher-mileage, longer lasting tire formula. I would have gone with those this time, but at least right now I couldn't find an 888 in the size I wanted for the rear, which is a 200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My experience tells me that there is no need to replace a tube with a tyre but i can see that it would be a "peace of mind" issue. No harm in it but just adds to the expense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well thank all of you for the input. I did indeed install the new tubes. $38 for the piece of mind to me was well worth it. I am still a new rider, only a couple months on the road but man what a difference a new set of tires make. The handling is great. Also if you are thinking of Shinko tires, do it. No, they are not Metz but they are really a great quality tire for almost half the price. I agree with the old saying that you get what you pay for but IMHO these are better than I paid for. I am looking forward to seeing how many miles and memories I can put on these.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shinko are, I believe, owned by Yokohama. It was/is their first foray into motorcycle tyres. Their reputation is very high. You have not made a bad choice at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you guys ordering your inner tubes from? I currently have a custom 900 wheel in the rear but want to get the OEM classic spoked wheel. I was advised they can switch over my current tire but need a tube...where can I get one at and also how do I determine the appropriate size of tube? Current rear tire is a Bridgestone 180 white wall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts