Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you run these on your bike what has your experience been?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have them on my 1700 Voyager. I like them and hope the last longer than the stock bridgestone crap.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had Michelin commander ll on front and rear for a short time last year. after 4000 klms on the front tire, the front started to wobble bad when ever I let go of the handlebars, always while decellerating between 80 to 50 klms per hr. it was NOT a tankslapper by any means but enough movement to scare the hell out of me. I dont normally take my hands off the bars when I ride, but there are times when I nead to make adjustments on my jacket or gloves while riding. the stock bridgestones never did this. I let the dealer that installed the tire test ride the bike and they determined that there was a defect with the tire only after checking the tourqe specks on the stem bearings, which were fine. so after half a day in the shop they put a Metzler 888 on the front because they didnt have another Michelin in stock. I only have about 1500 klms on that tire before storing the bike for winter so I guess time and mileage will tell this summer. if the metzler works ok I will replace the rear with the same when the rear needs to be done. the rear michelin has around 12000klms on it with no problems and lot of tread left. 36 psi front and 40 psi rear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, I just bought the Michelin commander II's last month. I have not put them on yet plan on doing that this 3 day weekend. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are supposed to have good road grip and last a long time. If you look a you tube people say little as14,000 and as much as 24,000 miles. Even at 14,000 miles that is far better than the 6,000 I got out of my original Dunlop back tire. The front tire on my bike is still good but I am still going to change just because I want the same on front and back but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
On my second set of Commander IIs . They greatly improved the ride on my 04 Nomad. Since the tires that the PO had on were about midlife I had pulled the bars and properly torqued ( after having to fab a tool) the steering stem bearing nut. That helped a little but once I put on the first set of Commander II the ride totally changed. The Nomad no longer tried to wobble if my hands left the bars. The only time the Nomad wobbled after that was when the tires were TOTALLY shot ( tread showing on the back. I ride aggressively and got 12,000 miles out of the first set.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I bought my Voyager used, but the dealer put a new rear tire on it before I took possession. Kawi recommended Bridgestones. The rear was worn out after 6k miles. I put MCIIs on front and rear. With about 6k miles on them now, they have barely warn at all. I'm very happy with them.

The softer Bridgestones will give you better traction, but not that much better.
@rozie: I think there was a problem for a while with MCIIs after they moved production of the line to S. America. I know someone who worked many years for Michelin. They won't stand for the poor quality tires coming out of the Levorin plant they acquired in Brazil. I expect that problems will be corrected by the time I need new tires, if they haven't been already.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I put MC II's on back in October. I rode on them for a month before putting Buffy in Winter stasis.

First ride with them felt like a different bike! I have loved how my bike handled since I bought it. After I put on the MC II's it made an incredible difference in the handling when turning. I had no complaints prior to changing the tires to MC II's but I had no idea that the ride could be improved as much as it did!

I had them installed professionally. They look awesome and ride like a dream. Now I just need the weather to turn nice so I can enjoy that ride some more!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm running MC2s and entirely happy with them. They grip as well as the Pilot Roads I put on my sportbikes, handling is solid, and I'm seeing almost no wear after 3k miles (unknown how many total miles as they were on the bike when I bought it, and having them on already was a major factor in my decision to buy it).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey,
I just mounted Michelin commander II's on my Voyager today and also put 2oz of counterbalance beads in each tire. I must say I am very pleased with the result. Took it out for 40 mile spin and the ride is smooth the tires don't try to follow groves in the road and mirror vibe meter is clear through all speeds up to 85 mph. I was getting some distortion in the mirror at higher speeds. If the tires wear as well as everybody say they do and with the beads continually balancing the tires I expect many smooth miles in the future.
I put both the Michelin Commander II and the Counteract Balancing Beads in the highly recommend column!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used an MCII on the rear of Honda VF 750 C cruiser, and it lasted forever..No visible wear was evident after 10K miles...Sold it well before the tire wore out. Plus, I rode this extra fast V4 engined bike very aggressively.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had the MC II's Installed today. We shall see how they do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, I'm a little late to this thread but I'm curious as to how your CII's worked out.

I installed a CII on the back and then on the front when the stock 'Stone wore out.

Someone else mentioned a wobble developing and that's what I have. Can't take my hands off the bars. Wobble only showed up when I had the CII put on the front.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I used ceramic beads when I went to the Commander ll's. Absolutely love them. The only time ( until they were totally shot at 12000 miles) I had a wobble was when I let the front pressure get low (oops). 2 ounces front and rear . I also just put tires on the Vulcan S 1 ounce front ( smaller tire)_ 2 ounces rear. put about 90 miles on it today ,,, flawless.

·
Registered
67 Posts
commander ll

Hey, I'm a little late to this thread but I'm curious as to how your CII's worked out.

I installed a CII on the back and then on the front when the stock 'Stone wore out.

Someone else mentioned a wobble developing and that's what I have. Can't take my hands off the bars. Wobble only showed up when I had the CII put on the front.
hey otter; Im the unlucky guy that had the defective commander ll tire. I had just over 4000 klms when I got the wobble. the dealer ate the cost of the commander ll when they installed the metzller 888 tire. now with just over 4000 klms on the metzller and its rock solid. the tire shows no wear at all. I still have the commander ll on the rear and it looks good still with 13000 on it, but when it does wear out I will put a metzeller 888 on the rear just to have matching tires. How many klms on your front commander ll ?
saber t also mentioned some think about a bad batch of tires from michellin.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey otter; Im the unlucky guy that had the defective commander ll tire. I had just over 4000 klms when I got the wobble. the dealer ate the cost of the commander ll when they installed the metzller 888 tire. now with just over 4000 klms on the metzller and its rock solid. the tire shows no wear at all. I still have the commander ll on the rear and it looks good still with 13000 on it, but when it does wear out I will put a metzeller 888 on the rear just to have matching tires. How many klms on your front commander ll ?
saber t also mentioned some think about a bad batch of tires from michelin.

How many Km's on my front Commander? 4000. Barely worn and I'm not ready to eat the cost of it yet.

There's lots of talk of head bearing "issues" and people spending money to replace them prematurely. My own Kawi dealer mechanic said, don't even worry about the head bearings until 30000km.

A couple of things:

I contacted Michelin about the shake. At first they were concerned and were ready to warranty the tire. But it turned into, "wait. what? It's a voyager? nuh-uh. That bike doesn't exist in our fitment guide because our tire does not "perform well" with it. Sorry, you're on your own."

I had worn through the stock rear tire at 7500km, lots of highway two up riding. Gave the CII a try on the rear with the still good stock 'stone up front. No problemo. Once the front stock stone wore out at 16000km....(not too shabby), I had the CII installed on the front. The first time I took my hands of the bars to stretch... instant crazy ass wobble. The bike performs well otherwise, and is solid in every other way. I've tried different pressures up front, no improvement. I'm thinking that the bike simply does not play well with the hard centre compound on the CII.

My plan is that I'll be dumping the front as soon as the rear wears out. Replace the rear with a Shinko 777HD to offset the cost of dumping the front tire early. Go back to stock on the front. Once the 777 is worn out, back to a CII on the rear. I'm really pleased with how the CII has worn at the rear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
so michelin is going to blow you off. hmmm. about a month after my ordeal, I was talking to the head parts guy at the dealership and I asked what happened with my old/new tire and he said that michelin sent them a new one and the only reason I have the metzler was that they didnt have another MCll in stock. I laughed and told him what he could do with that tire and a metzler will go on the back when that MCll wears out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
so michelin is going to blow you off. hmmm. about a month after my ordeal, I was talking to the head parts guy at the dealership and I asked what happened with my old/new tire and he said that michelin sent them a new one and the only reason I have the metzler was that they didnt have another MCll in stock. I laughed and told him what he could do with that tire and a metzler will go on the back when that MCll wears out.

Correct. Corporate blew me off. Not in the fitment guide? Shouldn't have installed it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe because my dealer was the one who sold and installed the MCll, that they covered it. but... I just checked with Dennis Kirk- Competition accesory and J&P Cycles and they ALL list a MCll tire size 130/90/16 and aMT90/16 as a exact fit front tire for Voyager/Vaquero 2015. Im pretty shure that is the same size as the oem bridgstones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
maybe because my dealer was the one who sold and installed the MCll, that they covered it. but... I just checked with Dennis Kirk- Competition accesory and J&P Cycles and they ALL list a MCll tire size 130/90/16 and aMT90/16 as a exact fit front tire for Voyager/Vaquero 2015. Im pretty shure that is the same size as the oem bridgstones.
Yep, that's the argument I had with Michelin, "you MAKE a 130 90 16". "Yes we do. But not for the Voyager".

"what about the commander II I have on the rear?" "Sorry, not recommended either."

I guess our bikes are sensitive to the type of tires we use. The 'stone "E" spec is engineered specifically for our rides.

Try this link: https://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/US/en/tires/KAWASAKI/VN 1700 Voyager/2015.html

Meanwhile, people are throwing money at head bearings before they're worn out.

Strangely, they're not interested in tires for my wife's Vulcan S either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts