Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FANCIFIED...did I just type that!!??:eek:

Skoots been down since last Friday for new tires and something I always wanted to do, get rid of the bulky look of the tires/wheels.
Got me some paint stripper and proceded to strip off the paint from the rim bead all the way to the center section of the wheel.

Beginning stage...

One side done...

And the final outcome...

I put 12,515 mls on the Dunlop Elites and just installed Commander 2's.
The Dunlops still had some miles left on them, but the handling of the front
tire really deteriorated when it had about 8000 miles, too much shimmy, and the rear tire had flat spotted so bad this thing was handling so bad I couldn't stand it anymore, time to try sumthin else.

The rear Dunlop was the 180/60, this Michelin is a 180/65, and it goes to show me that numbers between different brands are not necessarily comparable. This new Commander is not as tall of a tire as the Elite was, even with it's higher aspect ratio. I shall see how the handling changes over the miles, and how many miles i can get.

The other thing I did was a trick we've been doing for years to reduce rolling resistance. When the wheel bearings are themselves of the "sealed" type, there is not so much of a need for the outer seals which are in the wheel hub. The friction between that aouter seal and the wheel spacers is quite a bit, so I removed the outer seals. The important thing is to pop off the bearing seal, grease the bearing and re-install the seal. I then paint that area black as the rubber seal is orange, kind fugly!!

Every time i change tires i'll pop off the seal, grease the bearing if needed.

The wheels spin so much freer now, just by hand. Anyways, it's nice to have new tires, it feels like a new skoot again!!And I got rid of that bulky look I never was really fond of.

RACNRAY

p.s...going for a ride, you betcha!!:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been waiting to see the end result.. I knew it would be nice, but that really sets it off. Very nice Ray.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANX GUYS...i went on a short ride last nite, and just as I tell my customers to get reaquainted with the handling when we put new tires on their skoots, i was reminded how quick to turn and how so little effort is needed to hustle this thing around...i was almost doing u-turns instead of 90 degree turns with new tires!!:)

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of pics of the chrome angled valve stem on the front wheel, so easy to check the air pressure now!!

I'm still gettin used to the new-found handling with the new tires, nice to have a new bike again!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That's the way I felt when I put the new tires on.....like a totally different bike! It's amazing how one forgets just how fresh rubber COMPLETELY changes the dynamics of the skoot!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I wonder if the same thing could be done to the motor and side covers on the Vaquero? (Or not?)

I've always loved the Vaq but have never been a fan of blacked-out anything. I like Chrome!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am gettin ready to go on vacation, far far away from wonderful S. Fla. The rear tire had long developed a huge flat spot and that uneven profile was causing some stability problems in the high speed sweepers. Plus the reduction in circumference changed the overall gear ratio quite a bit. The change had the engine revving way too high at hiway speeds compromising gas mileage. For sure it was torquier in acceleration, but that also tightened up my shift points so I was shifting much earlier.

So even tho the rear tire looked to have about 1500-2000 miles left I opted to change the tire to restore all I had lost. The Commander 2's have 12,708 mls on them. The front tire looks to have bout 3000 mls left ,with just the normal front tire cupping.

At the same time the outside pad in the rear caliper was kinda low, not ready yet but since we were there we installed a new set of EBC HH pads.

Now just waiting for the rain to stop so I can take it for a ride. I was getting fed up with the poor handling and the excessive revs and in town shifting, so looking forward to having the riding characteristics that I prefer back.

BTW...In my humble experience I favor these tires over the Elite 3's I had on before. The frnt Elite had awful front end side to side shake the original B/stones and the Commanders never had, and the rear Dunlop was toast with 12,500 miles on it with no mileage left.

I'll let u'all know.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks great. I actually am not a big fan of the rim on the stock Vaq at all. Been really wanting to look into some chrome rims... but the wife would probably kill me :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd Trade My Classic Chrome For Vaq Black

Too bad you are in Missouri . . I'd be very interested in exchanging my Chrome bits for your blacked out bits. In an effort to NOT have a straight out of the can Classic, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. My Classic has only 900 miles on it and all parts are mint. I thought of having them powder-coated this winter actually.

I wonder if the same thing could be done to the motor and side covers on the Vaquero? (Or not?)

I've always loved the Vaq but have never been a fan of blacked-out anything. I like Chrome!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got to put some miles on the skoot this Sunday. Nice to have a new rear tire, the handling is back and the engine now isn't turning too many rpm on the hiway. With the worn out tire my speedo read about 7-8 mph too high, now it is about 3 mph too high. Lost some of the torque that worn out tire had given me, but I can stretch out each gear to a higher mph b4 shifting.
Even with such few miles on the pads the EBC HH pads are better than the stock pads ever were, and were gettin better as i rode. They will continue to get better as they continue to bed in.

Gonna have some fun with this skoot on my vacation next week in the N. Florida/S.Georgia roads.

RACNRAY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts