Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic. I just had new Pirellis installed. The rear tire now is slightly smaller as recommended by the dealer to cut down on Revs. I did notice that the GPS shows the speed right on the money now. The problem is after 65 MPH I start getting a vibration feeling them in the seat and right foot (mostly) I took the bike back to the dealer and they rebalanced saying the weight was moved near the air valve.

I got back on the highway and still have a vibration. Monday I am going back to the dealer and they asked if I can leave the bike all day for a complete examination. They also said they will have another set of tires on hand, just in case.

Any ideas or anything I can look for that is not of the obvious? Love my bike but if I wanted to ride an older Harley I would have bought one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Since the vibration started immediately after a rear tire change, this narrows the causes down. The new tire could be slightly out of round, or it might not be balanced correctly. The drive belt tension could be set incorrectly. The wheel alignment might not be set correctly.

How comfortable are you with the service department at your dealer? Some dealers have good mechanics, others not so good. Here in the DFW area we have choices, but not so much in other areas. I think the mechanics missed something, I don't know what, or it could just be the new tire. I also understand why they want it for a full day, but since the vibration started immediately after a tire change, there are only so many choices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the vibration started immediately after a rear tire change, this narrows the causes down. The new tire could be slightly out of round, or it might not be balanced correctly. The drive belt tension could be set incorrectly. The wheel alignment might not be set correctly.

How comfortable are you with the service department at your dealer? Some dealers have good mechanics, others not so good. Here in the DFW area we have choices, but not so much in other areas. I think the mechanics missed something, I don't know what, or it could just be the new tire. I also understand why they want it for a full day, but since the vibration started immediately after a tire change, there are only so many choices.
Actually I have both tires changed. they said they will have an extra set of tires on hand just in case but they want all day tomorrow to troubleshoot it so we can make the hour and 45 minute drive to St George and play around St George and hopefully it'll be finished correctly. When I asked the guy at the dealership how long has tire guy has been doing tires he replied 30 years. So hopefully all will be well after they get done tomorrow. If not I'm going to go to a different bike shop and get new tires bring them back there tires and expect a full 100% refund thanks for your input.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bad vibes man.

"The rear tire now is slightly smaller as recommended by the dealer to cut down on Revs." Quote Beaver Dave.
Dave, if they fitted a smaller tyre (eg. smaller circumference) it won't cut down on the revs, it will increase them, simple arithmetic. A smaller wheel will have to spin faster at the same speed. That will mean more vibration.
Or did you mean a narrower tyre?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The rear tire now is slightly smaller as recommended by the dealer to cut down on Revs." Quote Beaver Dave.
Dave, if they fitted a smaller tyre (eg. smaller circumference) it won't cut down on the revs, it will increase them, simple arithmetic. A smaller wheel will have to spin faster at the same speed. That will mean more vibration.
Or did you mean a narrower tyre?
I don't have my OM handy but the new rear tire is 170/80-15 M/C 77H. Returning from the dealer they said they replaced the front tire as it was slightly out of round and re-balanced the rear. Driving home was less vibration with some (vibration) starting at about 75-78 MPH instead of a lot at 65MPH. I did hit 85 - 90ish a few times (traffic permitting.) I am going to let a friend that has more M/C miles in many more bikes than I have test ride and let me know if I am being too picky or if I do have a valid complaint. I put slightly over 2,000 miles since owning the bike and I would dare say the tires replaced were the original from 2009. When I bought the bike it had slightly over 2,000 miles and I am sure a lot of in the garage time.

This is the first time I ever owned Pirelli tires. Depending on the consensus next time I may go back to Dunlap or Continental.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would say that Michelin Commander IIs are universally liked on the Vulcan 900. I have them on mine and they run smooth, and are grippy, even in the wet. They are long wearing too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wait for it... Here it comes...

Ah yes, there it is. The endorsement we were all looking for. Let me counter you. I am against the universe and I like Shinko's 777 series tires on the VN900 much better than the tires you have on yours.

He is not asking you to expose your preference in tires you senile toothless coot. He is asking if you think if his donuts are still unbalanced.

The answer is, "yes" they are still unbalanced.
There should be no place on this forum for language which insults other users.

·
Registered
422 Posts
DuRron, there are so many ways I could pick your comments apart, but I won't, since I 100% agree with Hot Cruiser and Archie. Beaver Dave ECV was simply stating that he had some uncertainty as to the tire choice that he had made. I was just offering him a good alternative (since he was contemplating alternatives), one of several available I'm sure, but the only choice that I have familiarity with. I cannot in good conscience recommend another tire brand that I have no experience with, now can I? BTW, I learned a new word the other day, archaic as it may be, but you my friend are in the "mulligrubs" (the new word). Be blessed brother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DuRron, there are so many ways I could pick your comments apart, but I won't, since I 100% agree with Hot Cruiser and Archie. Beaver Dave ECV was simply stating that he had some uncertainty as to the tire choice that he had made. I was just offering him a good alternative (since he was contemplating alternatives), one of several available I'm sure, but the only choice that I have familiarity with. I cannot in good conscience recommend another tire brand that I have no experience with, now can I? BTW, I learned a new word the other day, archaic as it may be, but you my friend are in the "mulligrubs" (the new word). Be blessed brother.
Well I appreciate all the input. For now I have to keep the pirellis. For my next change I'll consider the other tires maybe I'll repost by then and get a consensus.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't have my OM handy but the new rear tire is 170/80-15 M/C 77H
Your 170/80 is narrower and taller than the stock 180/70 the bike came with. That will lower revs a little and make the speedo a bit closer. I only had a Pirelli on my 900 once and had no complaints. But any brand can produce a defective tire now and then. Sounds like your dealer has that covered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts