Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta replace my OEM tires on my 2007 classic 900 LT , kinda want some help making a good choice....saw where some go to different sizes to help speedo accuracy , please give me some feed back....thx

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is a message I posted on another thread, back when I still had my 9.

"Please, do a search. Lots of threads out there on this topic.

I have heard anywhere from 5 to 10 thousand miles is common on the stock Dunlop. You are definitely on the low side of the range, so either you have been working the tire harder than normal, you got a bad tire, or there is something wrong with your bike. I'd ask myself which of those it might be.

If you are really serious about a tire recommendation, the boards seem about evenly split between Metzler and Pirelli, with a few votes thrown in for Avon. From reading the boards, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3.

As for the size, some folks go with the stock 180/70, others go with a 170/80, since a slightly taller tire will correct the speedometer error (what I did). Others will go witha 200 or 220 width, because they like the look/performance of the wider tire.

Lots of options.... "

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It is nigh impossible to find a 180/70. I went with Metz 170/80. I wanted whitewalls, so my options were narrowed down to exactly 1. The 170/80 seemed to fix the speedo problem, as was mentioned. In case you're worried about putting that skinny ass tire on your bike, here's how it looks:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went 170/80 versus the stock 180/70. Less expensive than stock or the 200/220 with most of the speedo fix the 200/220 offer. Also helps lengthen out the gears a little; not looking for 6th quite as often as when I had the 180 on. As for brand, lots of opinions on that subject; I went less expensive/less well known and so far, so good.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When mine are finally done I'll be going with the Metz I think. But I don't think you could go wrong with the Pirelli either. Truth be told, ANYTHING is better than the Dunlops. Part of me wonders if Kawasaki engineers originally built a bike that would be just a hair over $10k, and decided to throw on the cheapest tire they could find, run a useless stator, and put on the world's worst seat in the history of forever to keep it in that competitive sub-$10k area.

I say that because the bike is such a well built, super well engineered machine... but dangit those three shortcomings are very uncharacteristic for the rest of the bike!

·
Banned
334 Posts
There's no problem finding a 180/70, you can order them from any internet retailer just like you would any other tire. I had a Pirelli MT66 on my 900 Classic and it worked fine for me. You can also get that size from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Metzler, Shinko, and maybe some others too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here is a close up of my 170/80 on my V9D.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts