Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished installing a"Bikers Choice" tach from Cruiser Customizing on my '08 900 Classic and used a homemade single fire adapter, designed by chuckster. It will only show 500 RPM at idle and just under 2000 cruising at 70. I wired a second adapter assuming that I had turned at least one diode the wrong direction on the 1st attempt, after installing the second unit I dissected the first one, and it was OK all along. So it is still showing only one of the two coils output. I am sure I am using the Negative posts on both coils, BUT in testing all terminals with the key on: all 4 posts show 12 volts, which is not what chuckster said would be the result ( pos. posts show 12 volts and neg. posts should read no volts). Am I going to have to buy a Barons adapter or what ? I am maxed out as far as electrical skills/knowledge. Any advise would be really appreciated. Gunner in Kansas

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Having 12v on both sides of the coil when bike is not running is normal.
Make sure that the diode cathode ( marked end) is oriented towards coil.
Your connections will be to the black wire on one coil and the black/green on the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sfair,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll give it a try, this is exactly the opposite of the gadget fixit directions, i.e. diode orientation. Barons has a new upgraded single fire adapter, that they show on their website as applicable to the Vulcan 900, where the older device was listed only for the Vulcan 2000. The price is $30 + 9.95 shipping - OUCH.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bought my bike used 3 weeks ago. I have this tachometer and have the same problem. When I searched for the install of it, it only shows 1 wire to the negative side of the 1 coil.What can I do to fix this before I buy a new tach? Mississippian can the Kaw tach be inverted? I have a small pouch mounted the windshield, so I need to know if the tach will clear the gas tank.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i thought our bikes needed an adapter for the single fire ignition otherwise you would get the result you are getting. i had bought a cobra tach and without it, it would not read correctly (came with the adapter).

·
Registered
701 Posts
i thought our bikes needed an adapter for the single fire ignition otherwise you would get the result you are getting. i had bought a cobra tach and without it, it would not read correctly (came with the adapter).

I'm not sure this is my first bike. That is why I asked about it. When I found the tach and install video they made gave me the impression that it was only 4 wires to hook up and made no mention about a relay. From my short time here on the forum I see that this place is very friendly and the members here are more than willing to help each other. I have to say this is much nicer than other forums that I belong to.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks I give this a try today and report back with results.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sfair thanks for the info. To bad I didn't read your entire post, so I did it twice...lol It wirked great. I have 2 questions.

1) What rpm should the idle be set at? Mine is at 1000-1100 according to the tach.

2) Is it normal for the needle to bounce a bit at idle?

Thanks for the help. Next fix will be the gas gauge, if I can get the housing off the speedo after removing the screw.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I am not sure of the factory specified rpm for a 900, but about 950 rpm should be close.
A little needle bounce at idle is normal because of the uneven firing pulses of a v-twin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally finished doing the adapter as Sfair counseled and it finally works, Thanks for the help - I have to admit I had my doubts but gadgets diagrams and instructions are WRONG. I Can't help wondering how many owners have given up in frustration and opted for the commercial solution. GunnerJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Take a look at this. It explains all aspects of a tach install.
Just be aware that if you decide to build the single fire adapter, the diodes in his diagram are in BACKWARDS. You must put the cathode towards the coil.

gadgetjq.com
so does anyone have a screenshot of this diagram? the link seems to be dead... and id really love not to have to spend $30 on a tach adapter i can make myself...

·
Registered
409 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts