Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished mounting this tire and getting out and riding a few miles on it. All I can say is WOW ! I would have done this earlier but the bike had a new tire on it when I bought it last year.

I had a car tire on my Goldwing and really liked it.

A little more steering input is needed as people have said but the ride and grip of this tire is great.

I lowered the pressure to 35# and that seems to work the best.

It installed without a hitch, fits perfect, looks great and the belt is right where it was before with the 200 on it.

I sit a little higher than before but that's OK - I can still flat foot it without any problem.

This will affect the effective gearing because the new tire is 26.8" in diameter and the 200 was 25.4". So 2.4" difference divided by 2 is 1.2".

The 200 tached 3312 @ 70mph and the 225 tachs 3028. If my feeble math is correct, that is a 9% drop - so I get two mods for the (low $78) price of one.

Here are some pix.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Yeah, looks nice. Appears to have a nicely rounded edge profile too. I think the wider tire pulled in that size wheel help that too.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Big tire

I tried the 225/60R16 on my 04 V2K. Was terrific until I went 2 up with my woman.... Hit a dent in the road and bottomed out, bag mounting bolts carved out the top of the sidewall in spectacular rooster tail of black dust and smoke:eek: Made it back to town and downsized to 205/55R16.
Might qualify the incident with facts tho... 300lb rider, 220lb 2up, purse and female necessities.... another 100lbs....:cool: I scaled out at the truck scale at 632 kgs gross, which for my American friends is 1390 lbs... AND, she made me put a trunk on the bike. The cost of love..:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My V2k is my 1 up ride so the 2 up weight is not a factor for me.

For 2 up we have a Goldwing trike that is my wife's chariot and I'm the driver.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought one on eBay. Should have it when I get back from vacation next weekend. I can't wait. Original tire is wore out at 10,500.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The 225 fit without any problems. I jacked up the shock a little just to be sure because it did rub the inner fender just under the seat area when I hit a hard bump or big dip in the road.

The rubbed area was of no concern to me though - just a little on the edge of the inner fender.

This tire is amazing ! The words I would use are confidence inspiring. I feel very secure on it in the turns and there is no feeling of transitioning over the flat part of the tire going from edge to edge. It is very smooth. I am running it at 35#.

The only different feeling you have is a "heavier" steering feel but you get used to it very quickly.

The car tire I ran on my Goldwing had sharp edges on it and it wanted to pull the bike upright at low speeds and you could definitely feel the transition.. This doesn't happen with this tire because it has very nice rounded edges.

I was a little hesitant after the Goldwing experience but I am VERY happy with this tire.

An additional factor is that it increases the effective gear ratio because it is a larger diameter tire so I am running lower RPM's at cruising speeds - about 250-300 less. It nice to have the engine slowed down a bit while cruising now.

I used Ride On on the tire because Dyna Beads won't work in a car tire. It runs very smooth.

By the way - my bike is set up as a 1 up bike and I am 6", 220# so if you ride 2 up with a lot of weight you may have a difference experience.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you weigh 300 pounds, you should be the only one on that bike. Get the 220 pound Mrs. her own bike. That just ain't safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts