Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 40w Sound Marine audio system from Cruiser Customizing. I got it installed today. Paid $140. The only thing not included is the sound source; in my case my mp3 player. This system is designed not to draw power if there's no input signal, so for now I've got it powered directly from the battery like they suggest (I plugged it into my battery tender outlet). We'll see how that works out.

I've ridden along side a couple of guys with Shark units and I would say that the output is comparable. It's not going to win any awards, but the tunes are audible and recognizable @ 80mph; and that's with my Big Shot windshield. A batwing I'm sure would help, but I'm happy the way it is.

My only concern at the moment is heat build up. I used the over-battery tool case as a location for the amp. It's plenty large enough for the unit, but I couldn't use the mounting bracket; it adds too much height. Right now I've got it sitting on a piece of foam to keep vibrations to a minimum. I'll have to fool around a bit and see if I find a better location. I think I left plenty of wire if I need to move it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't use the term 'sound quality'. These are 2.5" speaks; no bass response to speak of. I have a Big Shot windshield so there's quite a bit of wind noise to overcome. Sitting still the sound is fine (but remember, no bass). With my mp3 player and the amp both at full volume there is very little distortion. At 30mph I was using 1/2 volume and the sound was quite clear. When took her up to highway speeds I cranked the volume and songs were easily recognizable (vocals being the strong point), however much of the background music was disappearing in the wind. I have 2 friends who put $50 Shark (I think that's the brand name) systems on their bikes and although I haven't ridden those bikes, stopping at lights I feel this system sounds a bit better. Costing nearly $100 more then theirs, I'm hoping the difference is in longevity of the system (quality construction). But only time will tell. Being a bit of an audiophile, I can't recommend this for sound quality, but it does what I was expecting. I wish I had some experience with $500-$600 systems I've seen sold (like Kuryakyn), but the only comparison I have there is a friend's Road King and RK this is not. I think he's got a 6 speaker system and of course a full fairing and lowers. The only thing missing is roll-up windows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts