Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for VulcanForums.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join VulcanForums.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "VulcanForums.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Vulcan, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your VulcanForums.com Team.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
VS Jeff; said:

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join Hyundai-Forums.com , they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

/QUOTE]

Hyundai, huh?

I like the new look. iPad is much better looking and quick.

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VS Jeff; said:

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join Hyundai-Forums.com , they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

/QUOTE]

Hyundai, huh?

@hayes - copy and paste error form a boilerplate message.

Fixed.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
VS Jeff; said:

Hyundai, huh?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Jeff

I like it! Doesn't appear so cluttered or busy as the old format. The postings seem clearer a bit easier to read with the font and background.
Thanks for updating.

WEG

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
@VS Jeff

I was giving you a hard time. However, I used the edit option and it seems to have reposted the same message twice.

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@VS Jeff

I was giving you a hard time. However, I used the edit option and it seems to have reposted the same message twice.
No worrries - it was prob because the upgrade was still going on.

should be about wrapped now.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I don't know if it's just me, but the "post quick reply" button is not working on my iPad. I have to click the advanced button then post the reply.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Not my page, so I will adapt. It certainly is different and with no notice of the change it was like WOW, hi there!
Does the new format appear the same from desk top to smart phone?
I wonder if it will be easier now for me to try to post pics?

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if it's just me, but the "post quick reply" button is not working on my iPad. I have to click the advanced button then post the reply.
I will test and see how it looks on my device.

Jeff

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not my page, so I will adapt. It certainly is different and with no notice of the change it was like WOW, hi there!
Does the new format appear the same from desk top to smart phone?
I wonder if it will be easier now for me to try to post pics?
Thanks for checking it out.

You can use the mobile format, enhanced mobile view, or the full site view on mobile.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I will test and see how it looks on my device.

Jeff
It seems to work on my computer just fine. Only my iPad was having the problems.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I like the new look. What I don't like is opening a bunch of posts in separate tabs only to have a bunch of video ads starting all at once. That's one of the things I hated about Kawasakimotorcycle.org. Every time you open a post you have to find the video ad and mute it before you can read what's been posted or replied. Get rid of the video ads and it will be perfect.
Edit: Disabling the left and right sidebars seems to have done away with the video ads. Which is great! I know ads are a necessary evil, but they shouldn't annoy the heck out of the users.

·
Community Manager/Admin
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the new look. What I don't like is opening a bunch of posts in separate tabs only to have a bunch of video ads starting all at once. That's one of the things I hated about Kawasakimotorcycle.org. Every time you open a post you have to find the video ad and mute it before you can read what's been posted or replied. Get rid of the video ads and it will be perfect.
Edit: Disabling the left and right sidebars seems to have done away with the video ads. Which is great! I know ads are a necessary evil, but they shouldn't annoy the heck out of the users.
Also those videos should not play if you are logged into the site.

Jeff

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Also those videos should not play if you are logged into the site.

Jeff
That's good to know. I thought I had it set to remember my username and password and log me in every time but I guess I wasn't logged in. Once I logged in and changed those settings the vids went away so I assumed it was because of the changes. Thanks for the info Jeff.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you wanted brighter you got it. The pages do jump off the screen if the monitor being viewed is set on bright.

One of my favorite features of this forum has been the active topic option. In the past I could be busy or away for weeks and catch up with site news and topics that had come up for the whole time away in a short time.

From what I'm seeing the "Active Topics" option is now only the last 25 posts and even on what should be a slow Saturday night for the forum that only covers about 3 1/2 hours. Is there an option I can reset to for several pages of Active Topics or is the new format set at 25 posts?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts